SkulUlator

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,
I've been trying to burn dual layers games through Imgburn onto dual layer discs and onto my 4.2E but each time I put a disc in the disc channel it doesn't seem to read the discs.
I’ve got an original copy on Super Mario Smash Bros which I think is dual layer and that works fine with no errors.
It reads single layer discs old and new ones just fine with no errors but each time I try a dual layer disc it just makes 3 click noises and does nothing.
The disc channel shows the disc spinning and even when I eject the disc it still shows the disc spinning.
I've tried putting my single layer discs in after and it doesn't read them, it just keeps showing the disc spinning.
I've tried shutting down the Wii then tried my single layer games after and they work fine (new super Mario bros Wii stopped working and gives error 001).
So far I’ve tried Xenoblade Chronicles Pal and The Last Story Pal both burned through Imgburn on 2x on Verbatim DVD+R DL discs with layerbreak set to 2084960 and verified them after with no luck.

I’ve ordered the official Nintendo cleaner kit in hopes that the discs will work after, it should be here by Friday.
Can anyone help me out or know what’s going on?
I have a 4.2E Wii with a Wasabi DX chip (firmware 3.0) and have Homebrew channel installed.
Update - Tried the Nintendo cleaner kit but it did nothing, in fact the lens didn't have any type of dirt or dust on it!
I'm really puzzled by this, anyone know what's up with it? :(

OriginalHamster

UStealthy
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
It's a problem with your lens, maybe it's not calibrated enough, dual layer disc are extremely picky about the laser since tracks on the disc are more close each other.

SkulUlator

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There's only 3/4 games that I want that are Dual Layer, plus usb loading seems complicated.
The chip says it supports Dual Layer media on it's site so i don't think it's the chip.
How would I calibrate the Wii's lens?
Would I have to tweak the pot inside the Wii?

OriginalHamster

UStealthy
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
There's only 3/4 games that I want that are Dual Layer, plus usb loading seems complicated.
The chip says it supports Dual Layer media on it's site so i don't think it's the chip.
How would I calibrate the Wii's lens?
Would I have to tweak the pot inside the Wii?
Go to a technical store, sometimes the same stores that sells games has reapair services, calibrate the lens is a quick fix.

SkulUlator

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah but it's only dual layer backup's that don't work.
Originals work fine, so I can't go to a game store and tell them I need the lens calibrated cos my dl backups don't work. :/

I might have to tweak the pot in the wii myself, do you think it's safe?
I've opened it before to put my wasabi dx chip in but i just don't want to mess the lens up.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
Calibrating the lens is only a quick solution that wont last long. And come to think of it, I don't think you can calibrate the laser on a wii drive because there aren't any potentiometers on the logic board, at least not that I remember seeing.

OriginalHamster

UStealthy
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Yeah but it's only dual layer backup's that don't work.
Originals work fine, so I can't go to a game store and tell them I need the lens calibrated cos my dl backups don't work. :/

I might have to tweak the pot in the wii myself, do you think it's safe?
I've opened it before to put my wasabi dx chip in but i just don't want to mess the lens up.

I live in Chile, and Wiis not playing Smash Brawl is very common, the game is dual layer, when I was to my game store they say me "don't worry it's pretty common problem". You don't need to say "my dl don't play", just say "my Smash don't work", also go to a specialized store.

I think there are tutorials on youtube about how recalibrate the lens, do at your own risk.

EDIT: As DeadlyFoez mentioned calibrating the lens probably will be not enough, worst case is you need replace the lens.

SkulUlator

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
orite, i'll try asking some game stores about it.
Just to make it clear, i already own an original Super mario smash bros that i got from a game store.
it work fine with no errors at all,it's just these dual layer games i've downloaded (Xenobalde Chronicles Pal & The Last story Pal) that giving me a problem.

I've just updated my Wii to 4.3e and my old/new store brought and backups are working fine just now these dual layer games give me an error instead of just spinning in the disc channel like they did before.
The game spins then I get a black screen saying "An error has occured. Press the Eject button, remove the Game disc, and turn the power OFF. Please read the Wii Operations Manual for more information."

Wii pot tweak guide-
Apparently other people have been having the same problem and have tweaked there Wii's to make the laser stonger to read the daul layer backups.

Guide link- http://turdinc.kicks-ass.net/Msntv/ps2/Wii/WiiPOTFix.PDF

SkulUlator

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Never mind, playing em now.

Couldn't be bothered with all this technical stuff so I brought originals from a game store.
Working perfectly (as they should). :yaywii:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Never play gay chicken with Ken lol