Hacking Help, DS r4 not working on DS lite; black screen

Anarkitty

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hello I have recently acquired an R4. Long story short; it's not working. I'm only greeted with a black screen when the DS turns on. I've tried other methods such as differant formats, different kernals and none seem to work. I don't know what kind of card it is but it says on the cover:
R4
SDHC
Revolution for DS
(NDSL/NDS)

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
1) When the r4 is inserted into the DS, does a game icon appear in the home menu?

2) If you just insert the r4 without the microSD, do you always get a black screen?

I'm afraid it might be faulty, or have a contact problem between pins.

Try reopening another thread in the "NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories" section on the main page, not under r4, because it is more visible there and other users will be able to answer you.:)

Akuma_xo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi:)

Your card should be one of them:

As a kernel this should work:

Let me know if it worked.:wink:

Hey! I tried this suggestion and now I am stuck on launch, can't even get to the menu it just says: Loading...

here is my original post that led me to this, can't post it since I need 5 posts.

Hey guys. Hope someone here can send me in the right direction fixing this.
So I've been using an R4 card in my DS for a long time. (very old card, R4 SDHC Revolution for DS (NDSL/NDS)
Some of the games were hack locked and some just didn't work and today I decided to re-format the card and update the firmware on it.
The firmware I have on it is R4 Wood 1.61 Kernel, it launches to the main menu and I can see the games in my library.
But, when I start a game both screens hang on the black screen.

feel dumb for doing this because it was basically working alright but I wanted to put new games on and start on a fresh SD.. :(

I've downloaded the roms from romsgames dot net, and I'm putting the .nds files straight onto the sd, not .zip or .7z.

Kind regards.

bbking67

FAMILY FIRST
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There are a lot of different variations of these cards... you need to find the right software combination for your particular "R4". Most are clones of some sort... personally I have 3 different "R4" variations and they all use different software to run them. I also believe that some older R4 flash carts will only work with smaller MicroSD cards (2GB comes to mind for certain ones, others are bounded at 32GB, etc,)

Also, the format of the card has to be FAT32... what did you use to format the card? Windows doesnt do it right, so you may need to use something else to prepare the MicroSD.

Maybe post a picture of the cart? Do you still have the SD card or the contents of the working one?

Akuma_xo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There are a lot of different variations of these cards... you need to find the right software combination for your particular "R4". Most are clones of some sort... personally I have 3 different "R4" variations and they all use different software to run them. I also believe that some older R4 flash carts will only work with smaller MicroSD cards (2GB comes to mind for certain ones, others are bounded at 32GB, etc,)

Also, the format of the card has to be FAT32... what did you use to format the card? Windows doesnt do it right, so you may need to use something else to prepare the MicroSD.

Maybe post a picture of the cart? Do you still have the SD card or the contents of the working one?
hey! if you are responding to my comment. I can't post links yet, but here is a work-around: ibb. co/VByZ318
it has to be around 10 years old. I've used the recommended software from this post and the latest software..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    A @ anotherthing: The Nintendo servers are going down in 9 days anyway.