Help changing start-up program list please.

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by GeekyGuy, Mar 9, 2008.

Mar 9, 2008
  1. GeekyGuy
    OP

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    I've only had this Compaq computer for about a year, and it just doesn't seem that it should be running so slow. I'll be playing a game of Warcraft 3: TFT, get an IM, and then have everything slow down to almost a halt until the popped-up IM completely opens and WC3 closes, which takes about a full minute. That's a 5-year old game. Yikes! There is also just a general slowness in the processing of my computer, which I believe has a 3.2 GHz processor. I don't normally keep a lot of things open, and when playing something like WC3, I close everything else out.

Anyway, I'm thinking it has to do with the programs set to load during my computer's start-up. I'm using XP Home Edition, and I've added quite a few programs since having the computer. I tried to go into MSCONFIG yesterday and de-select some of the programs on the start-up list, and then it gives me an error message saying I need to log on as the Adminstrator. So, I restart my computer, press F8, start up in Safe Mode, and log on as Administrator. I try to change the settings again in MSCONFIG, but get the same error message about logging on as Adminstrator. [​IMG]

I'm not all that knowledgeable on the matter, so if anyone can help, I'd be much obliged.

Thanks

2. fischju

Member fischju Rehabilitated Jaywalker

United States
  3. Samutz

Member Samutz Wet Tissue Sample

United States
    Sounds like you have a virus. I've seen a similar virus where you couldn't open the control panel, msconfig, or regedit, even when logged in to Administrator in Safe Mode. It would just pop up a message saying "Access Denied". I installed AVG on that computer and it fixed it.

4. GeekyGuy
    OP

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    Thanks for the link. I'll check that out.

@ Samutz: I've already got McAfee installed on my computer, and it doesn't allow me (anymore -- it used to, though) to temporarily disable it. The only way to stop McAfee from running is to uninstall it. So, my question is, is it okay to install and run AVG while McAfee is also running, or should I first uninstall McAfee?

Thanks

5. fischju

Member fischju Rehabilitated Jaywalker

United States
    Dual antivirus programs are generally not a good idea. They very often think the other is a virus.

6. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    Flatline and rebuild. Sounds like your old computer is more than due for a clean format.

7. juggernaut911

Member juggernaut911 GBAtemp Slut!

United States
    all about glary utilities!