Help! Can't Upgrade 'Firmware' :(

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by kohkindachi, Jul 3, 2007.

Jul 3, 2007
  1. kohkindachi
    OP

Member kohkindachi GBAtemp Fan

Singapore
  2. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    So the problem is not that you can't upgrade the loader, but that you can't get it to use the skin you put in the _system_ folder? Or am I missing something?

What OS are you using on your computer?

3. Ad_Enuff

Member Ad_Enuff GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    The best thing to do is backup all your roms and saves onto your PC and place them into a folder for safe keeping.

Format your microSD card with FAT32 or FAT depending on size of microSD card....i.e. if its 2Gb FAT32 is the best way to go for larger capacity cards.

Then extract the latest R4 kernal to your PC's harddrive which is currently 1.10 which should create C:\English-1.10

Inside is all your new 1.10 kernal files....simply copy those onto your microSD card along with all your old roms you backed up earlier.

plug in and it should all work! If not you have a faulty R4 perhaps....

Download the latest kernal from the official site: HERE

4. kohkindachi
    OP

Singapore
    Yes Destructobot, not firmware, that's why I put '...'. At 1st I tried the _system_ folder with the 12 theme files, but after it failed to show the correct skin(still the pacman one -.-), I ONLY put the 4 necessary files(bckgrd_1.bmp, etc etc) in the _system_ folder to try, still not working [​IMG]

I'm using win98se for this...

5. kohkindachi
    OP

Singapore
    The 1st R4 I got months ago is like that.....but I JUST went to purchase a new one today hoping that it works...but.....still the same.

I also tried reformatting, dun how to choose FAT/FAT32 from my win98se though [​IMG]

6. bobrules

Member bobrules GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    okay use the 1.10 firmware, it's the latest. Download then unpack it. Then replace the dsmenu.dat , and then place the _system_ folder in the card. In the folder you should see another folder called themes. Place your skin in theme one. If you like you can place other skins in the other 11 folders. Then when you load the skin, it should be set to auto mode, so it will load the skin from theme 7, so what you do is press select in the when you're at the game-media-slot2 place. Keep switching till you get your desired skin.

7. kohkindachi
    OP

Singapore
    Thx for this....but still the pacman skin [​IMG]

One more thing I have no idea why 'moonshl' is showing under '[/] 5 Games' [​IMG]

8. Destructobot

United States
    Delete _DS_MENU.DAT, and the _SYSTEM_ folder and it's contents from the microSD card. Extract those same files from the loader distribution onto your hard disk, then rename every single file and folder to have only CAPITAL LETTERS. Do the same with the skin you want to use. Every file must have only CAPITAL LETTERS in it's filename.

After that, copy the renamed files to the microSD card and see if it works.

If you only have one skin on the card you don't need a "themes" folder, you just put the 4 .bmp files in the _SYSTEM_ folder.

9. Ad_Enuff

Member Ad_Enuff GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Its easy, on your "My Computer" right click the mouse on the microSD drive select format. It should pop up with options.

One should be file system from a drop down box. Select FAT or FAT32. If your microSD card is greater than 1Gb always choose FAT32 its the better file system of the two.

Choose format (don't perform a quick format in this case) as you need to clear down any errors you may or may not be aware of.

10. kohkindachi
    OP

Singapore
    Destructobot THANKS ALOT!!! It works. Also want to thx Ad_Enuff & bobrules for trying to help [​IMG]

I think this problem and solution to be sticky somewhere so that ppl can see it when they need help [​IMG]

11. Destructobot

United States
  12. yukine

Member yukine GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Looks like Destructobot beat me to it, I was having the same problem on a Windows ME machine, and it took me several days and a lot of frustration to figure out that capitalizing all the files/folders fixed the custom skins. [​IMG]