Gaming help buying a gaming pc

W.I.C.K.E.D.

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone ever heard of this company, bought/known someone who has bought from them? I checked resellerratings, and it seems kind of a toss up. Most people seemed pleased, but there were a few who had dead pcs or malfunctioning ones upon arrival. Here's the link, if anyone has any opinions or suggestions I'd appreciate it. I'm trying to spend around 1000 dollars, so lemme know what you think or if you've experienced their computers at all. Here's the link...

http://www.ibuypower.com/

Thanks to all that help
bow.gif
nds.gif
bow.gif

W.I.C.K.E.D.

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
anyone in that case know of a good site to buy parts at? I've only upgraded a pc and never built one. I've done hard drives, video and sound cards, and dvd drives, but that's the extent of my knowledge. Any stores to buy parts from would help.

I also wondered, I have a compaq laptop right now, would it be possible and how hard would it be, to install a new hard drive, processor, ram and video card? Is there anything else that would help make it better for gaming? I know with the upgraded that i mentioned it would make it near suitable.

Noobix

Trophies
XP
Country
Well I would advise against building your own system nowadays ...go check out Dell and customize a base PC for your own needs. It'll "probably" be cheaper and you get a peace of mind warranty to cover the whole system!

In the old days is was fun to DIY and you could save some money, but unless you got plans to really customize your build it's just not worth the hassle now.

Upgrading a laptop is generally not a good idea either. (But would depend a lot on the model concerned. ie has it got integrated graphics or a dedicated graphics card that can be replaced?) Apart from adding more memory, laptops aren't made to be upgraded and it can end up costing a lot of money that would be better spent elsewhere. (It might work out better to just buy a new laptop. )

playallday

Group: GBAtemp Ghost
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Noobix said:
Well I would advise against building your own system nowadays ...go check out Dell and customize a base PC for your own needs. It'll "probably" be cheaper and you get a peace of mind warranty to cover the whole system!
Not true. My PC that I built cost me less then what Dell was offering AND it had better parts and allows for a lot more upgrading. Think I just don't like Dell? NOT! My last two PC's were Dell's, loved 'em both.

I'd look at NewEgg for parts.

W.I.C.K.E.D.

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Noobix said:

In the old days is was fun to DIY and you could save some money, but unless you got plans to really customize your build it's just not worth the hassle now.

Upgrading a laptop is generally not a good idea either. (But would depend a lot on the model concerned. ie has it got integrated graphics or a dedicated graphics card that can be replaced?) Apart from adding more memory, laptops aren't made to be upgraded and it can end up costing a lot of money that would be better spent elsewhere. (It might work out better to just buy a new laptop. )

Well the laptop is a compaq presario, hp, but I just figured it'd be cheaper that way instead of buying a whole new pc.

playallday said:
QUOTE(Noobix @ Apr 30 2009, 10:04 AM) Well I would advise against building your own system nowadays ...go check out Dell and customize a base PC for your own needs. It'll "probably" be cheaper and you get a peace of mind warranty to cover the whole system!
Not true. My PC that I built cost me less then what Dell was offering AND it had better parts and allows for a lot more upgrading. Think I just don't like Dell? NOT! My last two PC's were Dell's, loved 'em both.

I wonder if newegg sells the casing too, i've never seen those on there.

updowners

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
drwrir said:
Has anyone ever heard of this company, bought/known someone who has bought from them? I checked resellerratings, and it seems kind of a toss up. Most people seemed pleased, but there were a few who had dead pcs or malfunctioning ones upon arrival. Here's the link, if anyone has any opinions or suggestions I'd appreciate it. I'm trying to spend around 1000 dollars, so lemme know what you think or if you've experienced their computers at all. Here's the link...

http://www.ibuypower.com/

Thanks to all that help
bow.gif
nds.gif
bow.gif

If you are not going to buy each component separately then ibuypower will probably be the best place to buy a pre-built computer. Their computers are frequently advertised and recommended by PC Powerplay (an australian magazine).

Edit: What the fuck! I just checked the site and their pre-built computer is better and cheaper than my computer which was built by myself. Well that sucks.

playallday

Group: GBAtemp Ghost
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
updowners said:
I just checked the site and their pre-built computer is better and cheaper than my computer which was built by myself. Well that sucks.
Wasn't that way for me. It came out $50 more plus it didn't have as good of RAM and motherboard.

notnarb

Not narbing it up
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
playallday said:
Noobix said:

if you keep an eye out for dell deals, you can usually make out with a cheaper / better computer then if you were to make it yourself. I scored a Vostro 220 for around 400 with a 22 inch monitor, sold the monitor for 170 dollars (ebay, didn't even have to package it, just threw a new label on the monitor box) and spent 120 of that getting a 4830 and a 400W corsair power supply. I have myself a respectable gaming rig for around 350 dollars total.
biggrin.gif

My specs are (newegg prices in parenthesis): 2.8Ghz C2D (120), 2GB RAM(30), 250GB HD(50), Sapphire 4830(75). I built a comparable machine on ibuypower, opting for a 2.66 C2D and a 160GB hard drive, both downgrades, and it still came up as 491 dollars. With the above specs, I would need to get a motherboard, DVD burner, case, and power supply for under 75 dollars to beat the deal I got - not easy (216 to beat the ibuypower machine, easily doable)

Moral: Prebuilt desktops can be cheaper with a good sale
Pros: a better case usually (I'm really digging the vostro 220's) with a smaller form factor, warranty
Cons: No overclocking, hard to find

blitzer320

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
building a pc can save you money but can also cost you money in some cases it all depends on what you want like i wanted a tv tuner and to get that i had to get vista ultimate but if i built my own pc i could *cough*download*cough* a copy without shelling out $300 saving me alot of money in total it came out to about $500 and on dell it was $1000 but as i said just like those money making infomercials my case was a rare and some might say extreamly rare case

pEpz

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
notnarb said:
I have myself a respectable gaming rig for around 350 dollars total.
biggrin.gif

My specs are (newegg prices in parenthesis): 2.8Ghz C2D (120), 2GB RAM(30), 250GB HD(50), Sapphire 4830(75).

We are talking about gaming rig. Not an internet browser. That's about the price of a video card.

Mine melted today
frown.gif

notnarb

Not narbing it up
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
pEpz said:
notnarb said:
I have myself a respectable gaming rig for around 350 dollars total.
biggrin.gif

My specs are (newegg prices in parenthesis): 2.8Ghz C2D (120), 2GB RAM(30), 250GB HD(50), Sapphire 4830(75).

We are talking about gaming rig. Not an internet browser. That's about the price of a video card.

Mine melted today
frown.gif
I sure hope you are a troll. Unless you are talking about obscene resolutions

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I can't help but think nintendo switch online is the reason we did not get a gameboy/n64/gamecube
    mini classic edition
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, i think it would have been impossible to see anything in a gameboy mini
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    well I meant that as a figure of speech
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    they could just rerelease a modern gameboy
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    like the pocket analogue
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    but nintendo licensed
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    dammit that thread got moved from offtopic to edge, well since that happened
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, atleast it's still avaliable
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    yes but it wasn't meant to be a comedy thread
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    and edge of the forum is mostly comedy and games
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    so I don't get why it got moved at all
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, mods are probably hating you
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    on most sites mods hated me, sooner or later, but usually over time I get either banned or the mods get used to me
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    sometimes to the point of thanking me for my quick actions etc against spam and other stuff, but yea...its either they come to respect me or outright hate me
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    If it's not game related, it will be moved to the Egde of the forum. Mods have moved a few of my threads also.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, it was in the off topic chat forum
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Well atleast they didn't delete it completely.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    hmm
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    uoiea
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    huh?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Aeiou backwards
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    ?tuw
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: ?tuw