Help buying a Flash Set Please???

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by redmanmark86, Oct 19, 2006.

Oct 19, 2006
  1. redmanmark86
    OP

Newcomer redmanmark86 Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    Hi there, its my birthday in a month and my GF said i cna get an NDS flash me set up as a present with no budget [​IMG],...

but im going to all these websites and reading all these reviews and i really can't tell which one is the best one to get...

i was looking at the DS-Extreme but its memory seems pretty limited with only 512MB or 4gigbit as they say...

i like the look of the Micro SD ones cuz they let you swap cards over and you get alot more room but there are so many dif forms of pass me and carts i just dont know what one to get

can you guys recommned any to me

and hello to all

thanks

2. fischju_original

Banned fischju_original I used to be a jerk before i got banned

United States
    probably a SD version, slim or mini that is gba sized (if you have regular ds) or special lite version (if you have a lite) of the SC or M3

3. tama_mog

Member tama_mog Kupo

United States
    if you're getting a ds preflashed with flashme setup, you do not need any forms of passmes (passcard, ezpass, superkey, passwe, whatever) because you already have flashme. Be careful when choosing the device to go with pending on if you have a ds lite or a regular ds. Most micro sd devices that are slot2 based are made to fit for the ds lite and won't fit in the longer gba slot of the regular DS. DS-X is a good product but you don't need the passme capabilities of it since you got flash me already, all you really have to look forward to is clean rom support and *gasp dare I say it* stupid LED lights. If I were you I'd be doing research on DS-Link (slot 1 device using micro sd with no passme built in), m3 (either a mini or a lite pending on your ds model), supercard (once again the appropriate one, lite or mini pending on your model).....g6 wouldn't fit the bill here since you think 512MB maybe too small.

4. Harsky

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    G6 Lite seems good as it can fit flush AND can play GBA games but downside is that it's the same file size as the DS-Extreme. I have an M3 CF and it's quite reliable but downside is that it sticks out. But they are cheap.... then I realised you have a huge budget....

5. redmanmark86
    OP

United Kingdom
    sorry i should of said that, i have a DS Lite, da white one, my 2 brothers have a normal DS but im not bothered about them, i need something i can get before the 21st...

i was thinking one of those micro ones, the NEO2 micro only supports upto 1Gigabyte though [​IMG] and i plan on getting a 2 Gigabyte card as thats 16Gigabit for a DS right? TBH i have most DS games but carrying them around aint convient, saying that usually Brain Age is in my DS cuz its a nice game to play on da way to work in da morning.

i dont have a flashed DS either, im more then happy to just stick a pass me or mini in da top, but i dont udnerstand what these work with, didnt realise buying a Flash cart was so hard,lol

6. Harsky

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    Hey, I was a newbie as well so I know how daunting it was when I was choosing my first cart. Anyways, there's a bunch of reviews that you could read on GBAtemp (Neo carts aren't good) and the passcard is just used to make the DS read the cart from the GBA slot. That's it.

7. redmanmark86
    OP

United Kingdom
    ok i just looked at the DS link and that looks like a good bye, however why would i need a MK4-Mini cuz that goes in slot 1 as well? doesn't that conflict with the point of the DS-Link going in slot oen, also is 4M save space enough for that size of Memory Card?

8. Harsky

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=37209

If you don't want to install FlashMe on your Nintendo DS, there is another way around it. The Neo Team's MK4-Mini pass card has a built in menu that allows you to boot to other DS slot based kits, a feature that's not available in any other pass card to date. So what you can actually do is - set the MK4-Mini to "NDS" mode, insert the MK4-Mini into your DS, power on, select the MK4-Mini from the main DS menu and choose to boot from DS slot, then swap out your MK4-Mini with the DSLink whilst still powered on (yes, this is perfectly safe), and press 'A', and voila! You are in the DSLink GUI!

I don't know about you but I'm not sold on the idea of swapping the MK4 out every time I turn my DS on.

9. fischju_original

United States
    i wouldnt get a slot 1 or flash based card. get a M3 or SC lite

10. fischju_original

United States
  11. redmanmark86
    OP

United Kingdom
    well i guess i could flash it, if its not that complicated a process...

i relaly like the look of the DS-Link but you have to patch games? does that worsen compatiability? does that mean sngle cart download and play wont work? or i'll have Wifi issues or does it not really matter.

basically if it matters then it looks like i may go for a M3or SC Lite as they allow for clean roms right?

12. Harsky

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    Not to be rude but I strongly suggest reading the reviews. Flashcarts that go into the DS slot may look nice but it's still in it's infancy.

13. tama_mog

Member tama_mog Kupo

United States
    Flashing is a personal preference, I was under the assumption you're getting a new DS FLASHED, per your post:

"Hi there, its my birthday in a month and my GF said i cna get an NDS flash me set up as a present with no budget"

All your questions can be answered with some reading so I suggest you do that with the guides in the homepage of this website. And FYI, every single flashcart solution (slot 1 or slot 2) all require patching with the exception of the DS-X and the MK....and it is not totally clear if they actually do some kind of patching on the fly as you run clean roms.

14. redmanmark86
    OP

United Kingdom
    can i say this is one of the most helpful forums i have come accross, seriously the replies are thick and fast, thanks guys, im reading reviews as quick as i can. especially fo the products u advise, im now looking at a Supercard Lite White (cuz mine is white) withe 32MB Ram for GBA games...
    so if i was to get that and the MK4-Mini i wouldnt need to pre patch my games?

and sorry about the confusion i didnt really know wha tto clal the set up... any links to a guide to flashing the DS?

15. Harsky

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    If you are really, really confident about flashing then you can use the MK4-Mini (or in fact, any other one since the all do the same job), flash the DS and that's it. I flashed my DS and my Passkey hasn't been touched since

16. redmanmark86
    OP

United Kingdom
    forget that actually, couldnt find it with the forum search but google made it appear

17. tama_mog

Member tama_mog Kupo

United States
  18. tama_mog

Member tama_mog Kupo

United States
    In addition, my initial impressions of the supercard lite and it has not changed. But currently using the m3 lite since it's easier to deal in the sense that me and my gf both use the same device:

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=36157&hl=

19. fischju_original

United States
    patching=good, you can trim the rom

20. redmanmark86
    OP

United Kingdom
    ah man im so stuck now....

ok i'm basically stuck between this setup...

an MK4-Mini or just an MK4-Pass as i dont know if the EEPROM has any benefit

and then either an M3-Lite or SC Lite Rumble? im really stuck between these to as the reviews for both are top notch so im going to see what your guys think as most of you prob have had some personal experience with them so any help in deciding will be great [​IMG]

and thanks to all of you for your help so far