ROM Hack Help before she gets home ;( ... I failed a downgrade and lost everything...

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have been to afraid to venture out to the actual sysMMC so from the first day I have been simply running an emuMMC of the system with incognito with 90DNS... So I was utilizing latest atmosphere platform run through R button method to employ maximum resources. Next I launched AIO utility to collect firmware followed by DayBreak. DayBreak perhaps could have been a little more alarming if the potential of corruption is there. Due to the implement (migrate user data option) was available my trust was peaked and I jumped in. Perhaps it should have warned that I should have a backup .. Yes indeed that is always implied and yes indeed I took the risk in the end. It's just that in an effort to help others from this situation if it detects it and implys it is possible a warning for a backup would have actually helped me at 2 am when I thought I was doing something nice..
What do you mean you launched an "AIO utility to collect firmware"? I don't know of any tool that downloads firmware files on the Switch. And if you let a tool download the firmware for you, it most likely downloaded the latest firmware which would explain why the console didn't change firmware versions with Daybreak

Reactions: BigOnYa

Inaki

Trophies
XP
Country
I have been to afraid to venture out to the actual sysMMC so from the first day I have been simply running an emuMMC of the system with incognito with 90DNS... So I was utilizing latest atmosphere platform run through R button method to employ maximum resources. Next I launched AIO utility to collect firmware followed by DayBreak. DayBreak perhaps could have been a little more alarming if the potential of corruption is there. Due to the implement (migrate user data option) was available my trust was peaked and I jumped in. Perhaps it should have warned that I should have a backup .. Yes indeed that is always implied and yes indeed I took the risk in the end. It's just that in an effort to help others from this situation if it detects it and implys it is possible a warning for a backup would have actually helped me at 2 am when I thought I was doing something nice..

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Also I just noticed the "SD:\emuMMC\RAW1\Nintendo\save" folder is this useful via PC utility etc ? or am I dreaming..
Using Checkpoint to save all games save data is KEY in these situations.

FutileSS

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I am not the best to tell you...

0) I would do a sysnand backup with hekate, yes, ANOTHER one, but still save the one you already have. This is in order to have it in case you wan't to go back to the current state, god knows what for, but yeah, do that and keep it. Also, save all data partition files to some safe place too. It could be the case the saves are still there somewhere ( at least save the nintendo/emutendo/... whatever reinx uses for that, folder ) and could be extracted. You may also want to run lockpick and save your /switch/prod.keys and switch/title.keys if you don't have them already. These will work for decryting nand images and maybe extracting saves.

00) see the hekate+atmosphere howto guide, there's various guides, maybe a youtube video or so...

a) you have a full nand backup, right ?
b) in the current state of the SD card, do you have an emunand/emuMMC partition ? if so, you can restore your nand backup TO THE EMUNAND partition ( just don't touch sysnand, just don't; yes, I know it isn't necessarily a risk, but you don't need to do that so don't ). If you don't have that, repartition the SD and create an emuMMC partition, leave it at 29GB size ( just tap in the middle of the slider, do not slide, tap, and make sure it says 29GB ).
c) once you restore your nand backup to the emunand, enable emunand ( it will probably get autoenabled, but still )
d) boot CFW ( by default, with enabled emunand, it will use the emunand )

*) install Checkpoint and save all game saves, then copy /switch/checkpoint/saves folder to a safe place so the next time you will have the saves to restore everything.

Please, take note here, I am not responsible for anything that may go wrong ( with a nand backup and only restoring to emunand, you won't go worse ).

Good luck and good Valentine's Day ;)
Was about to do this and then I realized that I could restore just system or just user etc. If I restore GPP sure it would work but I would be back to my empty unit backup. So then what ?

Using Checkpoint to save all games save data is KEY in these situations.
Also before I get confused and do the wrong thing. Can I not over wright on system in emunand as that is what daybreak would have altered... hmm no ?

Inaki

Trophies
XP
Country
Was about to do this and then I realized that I could restore just system or just user etc. If I restore GPP sure it would work but I would be back to my empty unit backup. So then what ?

Also before I get confused and do the wrong thing. Can I not over wright on system in emunand as that is what daybreak would have altered... hmm no ?

First save all files and current emunand to a safe place.
Then get a working emunand. Important thing here, did you try installing just one game and run it ? maybe the saves are still there...
The last chance would be to decrypt saved emunands user partition and see if the save files are there.

I cannot think of any other ideas... :(

Last edited by Inaki,

FutileSS

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What do you mean you launched an "AIO utility to collect firmware"? I don't know of any tool that downloads firmware files on the Switch. And if you let a tool download the firmware for you, it most likely downloaded the latest firmware which would explain why the console didn't change firmware versions with Daybreak

https://gbatemp.net/threads/aio-swi...w-and-cheats-directly-from-the-switch.574043/

Aio-switch-updater

empty post

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
https://gbatemp.net/threads/aio-swi...w-and-cheats-directly-from-the-switch.574043/

Aio-switch-updater

empty post
Honestly, you blame Daybreak but I think this tool is the root of your issue because it didn't download the firmware you wanted and this is why I do not trust AIO tools at all. There is a reason the community dislikes KOSMOS and while it had its use when the scene was developing, once the scene matured, its role wasn't as vital.

Now that we've narrowed down the actual issue, what happens when you boot emuMMC? Does it throw an error? Does it black screen? I don't believe you were specific about that earlier either.

Homlet

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Honestly, you blame Daybreak but I think this tool is the root of your issue because it didn't download the firmware you wanted and this is why I do not trust AIO tools at all. There is a reason the community dislikes KOSMOS and while it had its use when the scene was developing, once the scene matured, its role wasn't as vital.

Now that we've narrowed down the actual issue, what happens when you boot emuMMC? Does it throw an error? Does it black screen? I don't believe you were specific about that earlier either.
I mean, you just click on the firmware you want. Then it asks you if you're sure by showing you the filename and url. Then daybreak tells you which firmware you're using.

Last edited by Homlet,

FutileSS

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well for starters, did you boot Daybreak in emuMMC or sysMMC? If you booted it in sysMMC, it would not affect emuMMC.

I am not really trying to lay blame I understand the chaotic nature of this work. I do think some things should have prevented this but shrug, that's merely me trying to help for future situations...

Regarding an error yes it does... keeping in mind that wasn't throwing errors prior to me using the Migrate feature in emmc hekkate emulation screen

Update ; I booted to stock from hekate and the items are also missing from the eMMC!? I didn't actually think I was downgrading the eMMC... that one is on version 11.0.1...

SO I guess somehow I affected the eMMC !

I mean, you just click on the firmware you want. Then it asks you if you're sure by showing you the filename and url. Then daybreak tells you which firmware you're using.
Well you could check your files to see if they are 1:1 and if so I wouldn't think this experience was so the problem. I think it was the migration option personally. Which is something I wouldn't employ unless it gave me the option.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But Daybreak's only job is to install the firmware. Yes, this error was mostly caused by the user but AIO apps such as yours are...enablers to say the least. I will admit I am kind of biased against I am like the rest of the community so I don't mean anything bad but fault partially falls on your application for existing. Again I'm not saying to take it down or anything but personally, I don't see the need for tools such as yours to exist since it doesn't add anything new to the scene. This is just my opinion and you are completely free to disagree especially as the author.

Update ; I booted to stock from hekate and the items are also missing from the eMMC!? I didn't actually think I was downgrading the eMMC... that one is on version 11.0.1...

SO I guess somehow I affected the eMMC !
What on Earth do you mean by "items"? Items is not a term. Also it is impossible for any homebrew application to affect both emuMMC and sysMMC simultaneously. Are you sure you even setup emuMMC in the first place? You may have been booting sysMMC this entire time.

FutileSS

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
NO
But Daybreak's only job is to install the firmware. Yes, this error was mostly caused by the user but AIO apps such as yours are...enablers to say the least. I will admit I am kind of biased against I am like the rest of the community so I don't mean anything bad but fault partially falls on your application for existing. Again I'm not saying to take it down or anything but personally, I don't see the need for tools such as yours to exist since it doesn't add anything new to the scene. This is just my opinion and you are completely free to disagree especially as the author.

What on Earth do you mean by "items"? Items is not a term. Also it is impossible for any homebrew application to affect both emuMMC and sysMMC simultaneously. Are you sure you even setup emuMMC in the first place? You may have been booting sysMMC this entire time.
I know how to check and see if I have booted to the EmuNAND or Sysnand via the system menu and letter demarcation, of E vs S under system version. I can boot the Nand version either stock or Atmospere emulated in the main menu of Hekkate. I just never do this and / or check because it just seems dangerous in general so I always boot via RCMInjector of Fussee Primary.. Does this make sense?

From here I am completely floored as to why I have no installed NSP's (I think you call them) ya know actual programs.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NO

I know how to check and see if I have booted to the EmuNAND or Sysnand via the system menu and letter demarcation, of E vs S under system version. I can boot the Nand version either stock or Atmospere emulated in the main menu of Hekkate. I just never do this and / or check because it just seems dangerous in general so I always boot via RCMInjector of Fussee Primary.. Does this make sense?

From here I am completely floored as to why I have no installed NSP's (I think you call them) ya know actual programs.
Well if you installed all of these .NSP files exclusively in emuMMC, then it makes sense that they should not be in sysMMC because as I stated before, emuMMC and sysMMC are separated from each other.

FutileSS

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well if you installed all of these .NSP files exclusively in emuMMC, then it makes sense that they should not be in sysMMC because as I stated before, emuMMC and sysMMC are separated from each other.
I guess so, I thought I had some installed.. maybe I did a wipe first I can't remember its been a while... OK well assuming it is the same as always which makes sense. I can move around in TEGRA and see a long list of Save items in the Emunand... It just seems too easy to just move the files from saves which are missing in G:\emuMMC\RAW1\Nintendo\save from emuMMC folder once mounted via emu RAW GPP mount to PC. Plus I am not certain what I am copying where as I am getting confused obviously.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess so, I thought I had some installed.. maybe I did a wipe first I can't remember its been a while... OK well assuming it is the same as always which makes sense. I can move around in TEGRA and see a long list of Save items in the Emunand... It just seems too easy to just move the files from saves which are missing in G:\emuMMC\RAW1\Nintendo\save from emuMMC folder once mounted via emu RAW GPP mount to PC. Plus I am not certain what I am copying where as I am getting confused obviously.
Forget about the save files. Daybreak does not brick anything so its possible you messed up somewhere. Can you boot into emuMMC or not? If so what is the issue? And while it would appear English is not your first language, please try to use actual Switch terms to avoid confusing everyone on the real issues.

FutileSS

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
1) After DayBreak downgrade my EmuNAND had no items installed.
2) I foolishly attempted a Migrate / Repair from Hekkate.
- I could not boot EmuNAND any longer.
* - I may have overreacted regarding SYS NAND being affected.

Still trying to accomplish the task I set out to do I can see that the SD card is consumed at the same volume as it was originally.. I can use Tegra to go into the emuNand save folder and here I see many items. Are these alpha-numeric random folders moveable to from Tegra?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1) After DayBreak downgrade my EmuNAND had no items installed.
2) I foolishly attempted a Migrate / Repair from Hekkate.
- I could not boot EmuNAND any longer.
* - I may have overreacted regarding SYS NAND being affected.

Still trying to accomplish the task I set out to do I can see that the SD card is consumed at the same volume as it was originally.. I can use Tegra to go into the emuNand save folder and here I see many items. Are these alpha-numeric random folders moveable to from Tegra?
Like I said, forget about the saves. There is no folder that contains saves. Saves are always stored in the internal memory so retrieving them is incredibly difficult if not impossible especially if the emuMMC is corrupt so do not focus on that.

And I already know you tried to migrate emuMMC which should do the opposite of making emuMMC work but what exactly do you mean by not booting emuMMC? Does it give an error screen? Is it just a black screen? Also stop using the word "items". As I've already explained, there is no such thing as "items" so please use official Switch terminology to the best of your ability; do not substitute any terms.

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The updater app is legit and very well made, you can have your own opinions about whether you'd use such an app but it's really useful in terms of the time saved updating Atmosphere compared to doing so manually, and even just downloading firmware straight to the Switch instead of needing an extra step to transfer it from a computer. It certainly can't be blamed for whatever happened to OP.

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The updater app is legit and very well made, you can have your own opinions about whether you'd use such an app but it's really useful in terms of the time saved updating Atmosphere compared to doing so manually, and even just downloading firmware straight to the Switch instead of needing an extra step to transfer it from a computer. It certainly can't be blamed for whatever happened to OP.
I do agree, but I think these types of AIO things make it so much harder in the long run for people to really understand for themselves, and for others to understand and try to help, in there own situations of need. If everyone would just do they're own research, homework, learning, and work, there would be a clear path without all the hassles. Best way to learn is to fail first, but learn and know why you failed, and know not to do that again! We've all been there though! But I don't trust any AIO installer/app shit anymore. Ok this has been my Springer moment, Till next time, take care of yourselves and each other.

Last edited by BigOnYa,
Reactions: Draxzelex

FutileSS

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just an update by utilizing NXNandmanager and mounting User from the eMMC vs. the emu's User partition are dramatically different. The eMMC User is empty .. could I copy the one from emu User to eMMC User ?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just an update by utilizing NXNandmanager and mounting User from the eMMC vs. the emu's User partition are dramatically different. The eMMC User is empty .. could I copy the one from emu User to eMMC User ?

Like I said, forget about the saves. There is no folder that contains saves. Saves are always stored in the internal memory so retrieving them is incredibly difficult if not impossible especially if the emuMMC is corrupt so do not focus on that.

And I already know you tried to migrate emuMMC which should do the opposite of making emuMMC work but what exactly do you mean by not booting emuMMC? Does it give an error screen? Is it just a black screen? Also stop using the word "items". As I've already explained, there is no such thing as "items" so please use official Switch terminology to the best of your ability; do not substitute any terms.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill