Hacking Help: Attempting to install FBI through BigBlue has removed all my files

megaphoenix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i have an original 3DS with the A9LH hack with Luma and i have been install CIA's through FBI. I had quite a lot installed on my homescreen and i found that there is a batch install option on FBI, but it only works through the CIA version (while mine was the health and safety inject, as done through the tutorial of A9LH). What i have been doing is installing a bunch of CIA games and then copying the 00450503 (for example) folder back to my computer to make space. This has worked fine and it keeps the thumbnail on the 3DS and im all okay with that.

So basically, my steps were installing Big Blue through FBI (this worked), then i moved the FBI folder onto the PC (like i have done with the games) so i could try installing through Big Blue. I went to the second column thing of Big Blue (labelled SDMC) and tried installing FBI that way. It failed, i think the error message was 0x00884C (not exact, but i think it was like that). So i tried exiting Big Blue by pushing the Home Button. It then came up with an error saying the SD Card was removed (i didnt touch it) and when it showed the main screen again, every single installed CIA (including homebrew launcher and FBI and those games i installed) were gone.

What do i do? I can still hold start when turning on to access the advanced features, but can i get these icons back? (as the tickets are still installed)? Even if i have to do all this again, i at least need FBI back and i dont know how.

I have my NAND files and otp file if needed, but im just at a loss of what to do. My settings also say sys next to the firmware and i thought it was supposed to say Emu? Sorry if i rambled, im just worried i screwed up my 3DS here.

veraci_00

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is the sd card being detected? try inserting the sd card after powering on the system. it sounds like it's not being detected which is y all those cia apps r gone. restoring ur nand might cause u to lose all those games as there will be a different 3ds id associated with them. that's a maybe though if there was during ur a9lh install. sys is when ur in the system nand, emu is for emunand. were u using emunand?

megaphoenix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Could you elaborate a bit here? What exactly is the path to this folder?
Root:/Nintendo 3DS/bunch of letters and numbers/bunch of letters and numbers/title/0040000/

inside is that is folders such as 0f800100 (i believe this is FBI).

From what i gather, the error about SD removal somehow entered me into data management and that causes some glitch that wipes your emunand. But if so, how do i remedy that as i have no FBI to install new titles?

SomeGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Root:/Nintendo 3DS/bunch of letters and numbers/bunch of letters and numbers/title/0040000/

inside is that is folders such as 0f800100 (i believe this is FBI).

From what i gather, the error about SD removal somehow entered me into data management and that causes some glitch that wipes your emunand. But if so, how do i remedy that as i have no FBI to install new titles?
If you have A9LH there's no auto-wipe AFAIK. Copy those folders back to their original place and never touch the Nintendo 3DS folder again with a PC (or Mac... or anything else other than the 3DS itself)!

megaphoenix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
is the sd card being detected? try inserting the sd card after powering on the system. it sounds like it's not being detected which is y all those cia apps r gone. restoring ur nand might cause u to lose all those games as there will be a different 3ds id associated with them. that's a maybe though if there was during ur a9lh install. sys is when ur in the system nand, emu is for emunand. were u using emunand?
it must detect my SD card as it needs the SD card to load the system. If i remove the card while the 3DS is on, it just gives the generic warning of "make sure you turn off your 3DS before removing". I am sure i was on emunand, as im sure i remember seeing "emu" before the firmware and now it says sys.

If you have A9LH there's no auto-wipe AFAIK. Copy those folders back to their original place and never touch the Nintendo 3DS folder again with a PC (or Mac... or anything else other than the 3DS itself)!
about a dozen are currently there (including Homebrew Channel, Freeshop, that damn bigblue, various games, etc).

i can avoid touching it in future, but i have no idea how to at least get back to installing CIA's. I have about 5 CIA's inside my CIA folder to install, yet im unsure how to get back to being able to install them.

megaphoenix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i decided to check the A9LH guide and i refollowed the steps there about injecting FBI into the health and safety app. That does work and loads up FBI.

but, when trying to install FBI again, i get the following error:
Failed to install CIA file
Result Code: 0xC8804478
Level: Status (25)
Summary: Not Found (4)
Module: FS (17)
Des: Doesn't Exist / Failed to Open (120).

there is no title ID folder, it does not show up in titles and the ticket was uninstalled. I tried searching google for result code and i couldnt find anything. Any Ideas? The Titles Folder still has a lot of the games i installed earlier and their tickets are still there too. i Suspect simply reinstalling the CIA will fix them, but i dont know what the above error is caused by (unless i just ignore installing FBI and always access it through the health app?)

Last edited by megaphoenix,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Since you were on emuNAND before and now on sysNAND, I think you somehow got onto sysNAND (where none of the games are instaled) and all you have to do is boot back to emuNAND. Hold Select on startup and make sure the Luma settings are correct for booting into emuNAND.

megaphoenix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Since you were on emuNAND before and now on sysNAND, I think you somehow got onto sysNAND (where none of the games are instaled) and all you have to do is boot back to emuNAND. Hold Select on startup and make sure the Luma settings are correct for booting into emuNAND.
im not sure if that was it. In the A9LH tutorial, it says to turn on 4 options. I have noticed that if i untick "autoboot sysnand", then the 3DS home screen looks quite smaller (the default, i believe). While leaving that option ticked opens the home screen with many more boxes (which is where games were previously showing up as thumbnails, which was the working firmware). The Default EmuNAND option at the top was always 1(x) as the default.

If it Helps, the titles that show in FBI (through the H&S inject) are:
Green for games and that big blue manager, freeshop, etc (it says Media Type: SD)
Red is system settings and download play, etc (it says Media Type: NAND). The previous FBI was here too, but i deleted the title and ticket for it
Purple is only a few and it has DS Download Play (also says Media Type: NAND)

Is there something on the SD Card i might need to delete to be able to reinstall FBI? I don't get why it says it doesn't exist or failed to open when i downloaded it twice from the github page, so i assume theres a conflict because it was on my card?

i also tried installing a completely new CIA (that had never been installed on my device) and got the same error as above about being not found and failing to open. I figure i need to reset things back to when i first finished the hack and installed things successful (no progress in games is lost thankfully), but if that is correct, i have no idea how to safely do that.

Last edited by megaphoenix,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
im not sure if that was it. In the A9LH tutorial, it says to turn on 4 options. I have noticed that if i untick "autoboot sysnand", then the 3DS home screen looks quite smaller (the default, i believe). While leaving that option ticked opens the home screen with many more boxes (which is where games were previously showing up as thumbnails, which was the working firmware). The Default EmuNAND option at the top was always 1(x) as the default.

If it Helps, the titles that show in FBI (through the H&S inject) are:
Green for games and that big blue manager, freeshop, etc (it says Media Type: SD)
Red is system settings and download play, etc (it says Media Type: NAND). The previous FBI was here too, but i deleted the title and ticket for it
Purple is only a few and it has DS Download Play (also says Media Type: NAND)

Is there something on the SD Card i might need to delete to be able to reinstall FBI? I don't get why it says it doesn't exist or failed to open when i downloaded it twice from the github page, so i assume theres a conflict because it was on my card?

i also tried installing a completely new CIA (that had never been installed on my device) and got the same error as above about being not found and failing to open. I figure i need to reset things back to when i first finished the hack and installed things successful (no progress in games is lost thankfully), but if that is correct, i have no idea how to safely do that.
What happens if you use a different SD card (copying arm9loaderhax.bin and some cia files to install to it) so the console makes a new Nintendo 3DS folder? Can you install then?

megaphoenix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
What happens if you use a different SD card (copying arm9loaderhax.bin and some cia files to install to it) so the console makes a new Nintendo 3DS folder? Can you install then?
yeah it worked thanks :)

Ill tell you the exact steps that i just did, just to confirm i didnt screw anything up (im paranoid after what i did lol):
copied everything from my existing SD card except the Nintendo 3DS folder to a different SD card
after turning on the 3DS, it told me it was creating the home menu
i entered the health and safety app injected with FBI to install the actual FBI (it worked).
after going back to the main screen, it gave me the little present and yes FBI opens there.
going through that, i tried installing freeshop and that too worked.

so im all okay and back to normal now, right? i was planning on buying a new SD card anyway (and i have no progress in games to worry about saves), so i can simply repeat my steps on a new card and im all good to go?

Just to confirm, if i were to have two new SD cards with the same folders/files but i install different CIA's on each card (ie: one card having puzzle and party games, second card having action and adventure games), is that okay? would that cause conflicts or problems? Or would swapping the card (while the system is off) allow me to load different home screens with different games?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
yeah it worked thanks :)

Ill tell you the exact steps that i just did, just to confirm i didnt screw anything up (im paranoid after what i did lol):
copied everything from my existing SD card except the Nintendo 3DS folder to a different SD card
after turning on the 3DS, it told me it was creating the home menu
i entered the health and safety app injected with FBI to install the actual FBI (it worked).
after going back to the main screen, it gave me the little present and yes FBI opens there.
going through that, i tried installing freeshop and that too worked.

so im all okay and back to normal now, right? i was planning on buying a new SD card anyway (and i have no progress in games to worry about saves), so i can simply repeat my steps on a new card and im all good to go?

Just to confirm, if i were to have two new SD cards with the same folders/files but i install different CIA's on each card (ie: one card having puzzle and party games, second card having action and adventure games), is that okay? would that cause conflicts or problems? Or would swapping the card (while the system is off) allow me to load different home screens with different games?
Yep you can definitely do that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: I even convinced my dad to watch Fallout lol. He's enjoying it so far +1