GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
So I've never been much of an online multiplayer kind of guy, but I'm getting Destiny (PS3) when it launches next month, and my friend and I want some headsets to chat with as we play. I have no experience whatsoever with headsets, so I have no idea what to get.

I'm hoping to spend roughly $30 or so. I know that's not a lot, and I'm not asking for the best of the best. I just want something wireless that will work, won't break after a couple uses, and will produce intelligible audio. I'd prefer a headset that will work with both PS3 and Wii U (for future use), but if it's cheap enough, that's not a dealbreaker for me.

So, help me out, guys. What should I get?

dragonblood9999

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
try target. i got my sony 5.1 stereo headset that works for ps3, ps4 and pc there, here in Canada for $30(clearance sale) if you wanted one for ps4/wiiu i would have said the Tritton Kama PS4 Stereo Headset(i believe they work for wiiu but not 2 sure), but you can tell that they are cheaply made
they cost usually $25 to $30(maybe a little cheaper) depending on where you buy it

Reactions: TripleSMoon

TripleSMoon

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
try target. i got my sony 5.1 stereo headset that works for ps3, ps4 and pc there, here in Canada for $30(clearance sale) if you wanted one for ps4/wiiu i would have said the Tritton Kama PS4 Stereo Headset(i believe they work for wiiu but not 2 sure), but you can tell that they are cheaply made
they cost usually $25 to $30(maybe a little cheaper) depending on where you buy it

Thanks. There's no Target for quite a long drive where I live, but maybe I can get it online, or at least find it for a comparable price on Amazon or something.

Drink the Bleach

This New Member died on Sep 10, 2014
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I've never been much of an online multiplayer kind of guy, but I'm getting Destiny (PS3) when it launches next month, and my friend and I want some headsets to chat with as we play. I have no experience whatsoever with headsets, so I have no idea what to get.

I'm hoping to spend roughly $30 or so. I know that's not a lot, and I'm not asking for the best of the best. I just want something wireless that will work, won't break after a couple uses, and will produce intelligible audio. I'd prefer a headset that will work with both PS3 and Wii U (for future use), but if it's cheap enough, that's not a dealbreaker for me.

So, help me out, guys. What should I get?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Turtle-Beac...pt=US_Video_Game_Headsets&hash=item461d43cca9

One of the better headsets for PS3 under $100, for $35 as a manufacturer refurbished, which is fancy for used with a warranty, free shipping, no tax.

You say you don't want to spend more than $30, but the truth is most headsets under $40 generally suck. Suck it up and spend the extra $5.

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
True. You won't find a headset within the range of 20 and above. If you buy one of these, you'll have to pay an extra amount for shipping and the other stuff

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Who says that it has to be a dedicated gaming headset? I bought my stereo Bluetooth headset for whole $30 years ago and it works perfectly fine with my PS3, my PSVita and all my phones. You should find those or similar ones for pennies.

bKVlZcC.jpg

As an added bonus I'll say that it has built-in digital volume control which does work with my PSVita. It also features a Pick Up/Drop Call button which obviously works only with phones as well as basic multimedia controls, meaning Play/Next Song/Previous Song (holding the latter two works as the rewind/fast forward).

I saw this on eBay for $19.99 recently, so there you go. There are also more recent revisions of the set available.

Drink the Bleach

Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also you can buy this used "like new" for $27 free shipping, tax based on state but can't be more than $2-$3:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B006JH6A0W/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

And this one for $32:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008M4BNQG/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=

On Amazon Prime items, if you spend over $35, you get free shipping, so it'll be cheaper getting the headset or $32.25 + another Amazon prime item for $2.75, than to just buy the headset and pay the $5 for shipping. Taxes may or may not apply and may or may not affect Prime Free Shipping qualifications.

You can also search those models on ebay and see if they go even lower, and not pay tax, but be mindful of shipping.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'm just going to use this opportunity to say that there's nothing that makes a headset remotely "better" if it has "gaming" written on it - it's just a way to squeeze the extra $10-20 dollars from you by making you think that you're buying "professional" hardware. Chances are that there are better general-purpose headsets out there available for the same price or cheaper, they just don't have a fancy name stuck to them.

TripleSMoon

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for all the advice, guys! I'll be taking this into consideration as I make my decision. :)

In the meantime, a friend of mine said he'd sell me his Sony headset (that he paid $200 for) for $30, so I might end up doing that. If I had known he would say that, I would've held off on posting this thread. :P But hey, I may still use this in the future if Super Smash Bros. for Wii U ends up supporting true voice chat...

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Thanks for all the advice, guys! I'll be taking this into consideration as I make my decision. :)

In the meantime, a friend of mine said he'd sell me his Sony headset (that he paid $200 for) for $30, so I might end up doing that. If I had known he would say that, I would've held off on posting this thread. :P But hey, I may still use this in the future if Super Smash Bros. for Wii U ends up supporting true voice chat...
Is it the stereo PlayStation-branded one (the price seems to suggest that)? If so, then I will proceed to sit here and be jelly like a jellatinous cube.

TripleSMoon

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Is it the stereo PlayStation-branded one (the price seems to suggest that)? If so, then I will proceed to sit here and be jelly like a jellatinous cube.

I believe so. I'm about to go to bed, so I haven't discussed details with him yet, but he said that it cost him $200 new when he bought it, and it now regularly goes for $99 new on Amazon.

Drink the Bleach

Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I doubt Smash Bros would support voice chat. They're too scared of upsetting parrents. They dropped support for Swapnote because some people sent crudely drawn penises.

Course its possible because they couldn't apparently foresee penises, which is basically human nature to draw, so they might not be able to forsee loud, rude, sailor-mouthed-9-year olds.

TripleSMoon

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I doubt Smash Bros would support voice chat. They're too scared of upsetting parrents. They dropped support for Swapnote because some people sent crudely drawn penises.

Course its possible because they couldn't apparently foresee penises, which is basically human nature to draw, so they might not be able to forsee loud, rude, sailor-mouthed-9-year olds.
Mario Kart 8 has voice chat limited to between friends, so I wouldn't be surprised if Smash has at least that.

That's also not the reason they dropped support for spotpass in Swapnote. Did you actually research what happened?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse