Help!! Adding solder to a pre existing contact?

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by Jack-Of-Trades, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Jack-Of-Trades
    OP

Member Jack-Of-Trades GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Is it possible to add more solder to a contact?

Reason I'm needing to On my psx sometime wires comes off and soldering it back i lose a lil bit of solder Eventualy there won't be enough to hold the wires

(Switched to wires from a USB Cable (single color kynar wire makes it a pain))

My soldering iron is a fine point one but still hard to control exactly where solder will go and don't want to ruin the board

So any suggestions?

I tried over tinning (Using solder to hold the wire strands together) some wires but that doesn't seem to help at all

2. Armadillo

Member Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Clean point and put some flux on it. Then just tin it as normal , clean point + flux=solder goes where you want it. Also multicore wire is fail for chipping stuff , single core is better.

3. Jack-Of-Trades
    OP

Member Jack-Of-Trades GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Um actually i tried the "best" wire first and it was a pain in the ass the multi core made it a lot easier due to multi colors and me not having a striper for 30awg wire which made the wire break really easy since it scored the wire

And since i don't want to spend $25+ for 7 different colors this usb wire is perfect for my need and tinning a wire is a good practice and makes it perform nearly as exact if not as exact single core

But thanks very much for the tips thank you

4. Bob Loblaw

Member Bob Loblaw Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!

United States
    You can add a little solder. Be careful though. Also, be careful with flux if you decide to use it since it's corrosive.

5. Armadillo

Member Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Not all flux is corrosive , proper flux for doing electronic work is non-corrosive and non-conductive. You got corrosive stuff and you have the wrong type.