help! accidently unsoldered point #6

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by poisonousj, Feb 10, 2007.

Feb 10, 2007
  1. poisonousj
    OP

Member poisonousj GBAtemp Fan

United States
    It appears that while soldering the wiinja, I unsoldered the #6 point on the board. From what I gather, my only option left is to solder the wire directly to the corresponding leg on the panasonic chip. this seems way too risky and difficult.

I know it's probably pointless but figure it doesn't hurt to ask. Are there any alternatives out there? If not, any advice or tips I can try to recover my botch install?

My Wii is still functioning though it appears. That's the only good news. [​IMG]

2. shtonkalot

Member shtonkalot Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!

Australia
    I've noticed there are a few people with this problem cropping up.
    Can you explain what happened?
    Did you leave the iron on the point for too long?

I have no real help for you I'm sorry. My best suggestion is to get someone experienced to help out soldering to the leg of the Panasonic chip.

3. Hooya

Member Hooya GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    You should be able to get solder on that point again. I would think some flux and some careful soldering should get solder back on the point again.

I second the opinion to get someone more experienced to help fix your mistakes.

4. poisonousj
    OP

United States
    honestly I don't know how it happen. I was using a 15 watt solder iron. Also I've installed several viper chips before, so even though I wouldn't say I'm an expert, it wasn't my first time either.

5. sixb0nes

Member sixb0nes GBAtemp Regular

Belgium
    Purchase a new Nintendo Wii console. That, my good friend, is your only option. Be careful next time [​IMG]

6. lenselijer

Member lenselijer GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    you need very small wire to solder directly to the chip, i think its possible with some patience.

cant you just scrap some green stuff away from the board and then solder on the copper?

7. sixb0nes

Member sixb0nes GBAtemp Regular

Belgium
    It's impossible now. He's only option is to learn from his mistakes and buy a new console. Maybe sell the borked one to some gullible sap, if you're lucky.

8. poisonousj
    OP

United States
    yea i was thinking about that. it still functions 100% just ummm not for anyone who wants to install a modchip [​IMG]

9. jpx86

Newcomer jpx86 Advanced Member

Don't give up. I soldered to the pins on the panasonic chip and my wiinja works great. I used usb cable. Strip out the smaller wires. Then strip it a small amount, part the wires and cut them all off except for one single wire. Put just a small amount of solder on the tip of your iron, and hold the wire on the pin of the panasonic chip, touch your iron to your wire for just a brief second and you're done.

10. shaunj66

Administrator shaunj66 Administrator

United Kingdom
    This guy's right. It's possible to solder directly to the Panasonic chip. It just takes a lot of patience.

11. jpx86

Newcomer jpx86 Advanced Member

I just remembered a tip someone gave me back when he was doing a PS2 install on the pins of one of the chips. He said he used a hobby knife and stuck it between the two legs coming off the chip (was the perfect size to fit in there and stay without him holding it). This kind of isolated the leg he needed to solder to. Then he put the wire down on the leg and was able to push up against the blade without worrying about touching the pin on the other side. Then just solder it, and only have to worry about possibly bridging the pin on the other side. Also gives you a better look at which one you are trying to get. I did mine earlier and just got lucky on first try, but was about to go find a knife if I didn't get it. [​IMG] If you have a multimeter handy just use the continuity feature and check that you didn't bridge any pins afterwards. Good luck!

12. enterprise

Newcomer enterprise Member

Australia
    I did this with the gc when i stuffed that install up, not sure how well it will work for you but get some wire and place it on the leg of the panasonic chip, since it is to hard to solder i hot glued the wire in place. After that i then soldered the wire onto the glued wire, surpriingly it holds out pretty well.

13. poisonousj
    OP

United States
    these are all great ideas. thank guys. I'll post an update if/when I get brave enough to attempt this.