Hacking Help a noob stop his EDGE from being formatted over and over!

TheMoonman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm a bit new to all this Flash cart business, so excuse me if I'm a bit non-descript on anything. That, I'm a pretty big noob, so yeah.

But in the few days that I've had my EDGE, I've had to format it twice. This is EXTEMELY frustrating, as most of my files inside end up not being the ones I backed up. I feel like I'm treating it wrong (excuse me if I make it sound like some sort of animal...)

The first time I had to format it, I figured it was because I downloaded an old version of an NES emulator (called nester). But with this second happening, I'm starting to suspect it's because I actively switch between different computers when messing around with my EDGE. Not sure if that makes sense, but I'm a noob like I said.

What do you guys think is the problem?

Toxxysko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Does EDGE wipe your card, or are you wiping it yourself, or is your computer wiping it automatically?

If you are wiping your card manually, any reason? Corrupt files?

We need a bit more information.

Also, the brand and size of the card helps. Do the games even work?

TheMoonman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MicroSD brand and size? It's a Sandisk, and it holds 4gb.

And I wasn't even aware there was a "safely remove hardware". How do I get to that?

Update:
Nevermind, I found out how to safely remove hardware. But still, do you guys think it's the microSD that's acting up on me? As of right now it seems fine.

Toxxysko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
That "Safely Remove Device" button stops all read/write operations on an external device, so that it does not write data when you pull the device out the USB port.

In most cases it's really okay on a Flash memory (like SD cards) to just pull it out without stopping it first (in some cases it will corrupt usb viruses, which is freaking AWESOME), but it's still good practise to stop the device first.

In most cases it's really really bad to just unplug an external hard disk though.

This guide will tell you how to remove USB devices safely:
http://www.mcgill.ca/emf/help/safely-remove-usb/

Alternate ways:
- Left click the icon *once* instead of double clicking. MUCH QUICKER especially if you know the drive letter.
- In My Computer (or Windows Explorer), right click on the drive icon and choose "Eject".

---

Doh, you figured it out. Well, it's hard to tell. Give it one or two days and see what happens.

coolsonyeh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
well to start i think its your sd card that has the problem.try downloading the latest edge firmware to get your edge os updated for new games to work and for your emulators and homebrew as well.

also try scanning your sd card for any viruses and corrupted files coz i also had the same probelm when my sd got corrupted(some games didnt work..so i formatted it..)

Toxxysko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
I highly doubt a Windows Virus is going to have any effect on a Nintendo DS, let alone EDGE.

Chalk it up to corrupt files/filesystem.

TheMoonman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, so far, everything seems spiffy-keen. I've been safely-removing the USB adapter (except this one time, but no problems). I'm starting to think it was just because I was treating it badly, but I'll post back on any new complications.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte