Help 5.1 surround systems

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by Nex_WhatToDo, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Nex_WhatToDo
    OP

Nex_WhatToDo Advanced Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Help me!
    Ok i bought a 5.1 surrouns system today ... specifically phillips spa2600

Me not being too up to date with sound cards etc, took this home started setting it up and then realised there where 3 cables left to plug in one was green one orange and one black.
    Now on my laptop mp3 player etc there is obviously only one jack.....
    So.... do i need to buy an external sound card (if so suggestions would be nice) or is there an adapter that will put these three cables into one jack?

Help me please i will be so grateful i dont want too have just wasted hard earned money [​IMG]

2. notnarb

notnarb Not narbing it up

Jun 18, 2007
    The green jack is the main speaker and the orange and black are just surround sound speakers.

3. Nex_WhatToDo
    OP

Nov 4, 2004
    I know they are surround speakers but that was not my question lol thankyou for the reply though

4. Sick Wario

Sick Wario Club Nintendo

Jul 24, 2006
    NNID: godrugal
    take a look at the back of the sub or the sides of the speakers. you're looking for an AUX-IN to connect the mp3 player to the speakers. if there isn't one, return them for a set that has an AUX input. you can buy an external soundcard for full 5.1

5. TaMs

TaMs Randomizer

Nov 15, 2006
    Finland
    Hm yea you prolly need soundcard that supports 1.5. Else you don't get all the speakers work.
    Even if there's adapter like that. It's still not really surround.

6. tomqman

tomqman This Is Everyone's Fault But Mine.

Aug 7, 2007
    Isle Of Wight
  7. Nex_WhatToDo
    OP

Nov 4, 2004
    Thanks for the help everybody i bought a external sound card, more money but worth it at the end of the day [​IMG]