Hello Y'all

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Knolly, Jul 31, 2006.

Jul 31, 2006

Hello Y'all by Knolly at 4:48 AM (614 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. Knolly
    OP

Newcomer Knolly Advanced Member

United States
    Hey everyone...

Just got here yesterday... I've been addicted to PSP for since the first week they came out in the US, and just ordered a DS Lite and G6 for myself...

I actually did it since I wanted to play some GBA games and the PSP can only emulate up to GBC nicely (not to say that I'll only be using ROMs...). I have an old Platinum GBA (not SP), but for me a backlight is pretty much a necessity.

Anyhow, I hope to enjoy my stay here...

[​IMG]

2. forkyfork

Member forkyfork GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I thought GBA emulation was pretty good on the PSP. I don't have one, so I don't know, but is it not very good?

3. beedog19

Member beedog19 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Welcome, really doesn't look like you can go wrong with a nice psp/dsl combo. I'm gonna be busy with my ds for a while but i'm probably gonna look at gettin a psp sometime next year depending on when they get the ps1 emulation going.

4. Knolly
    OP

United States
    @forkyfork
    Well, it's playable, but it's not fullspeed by any means (at least not for Pokemon, which is the only game I've tried, heh), whereas for GB and GBC games, it runs full speed and you can use turbo to run and much greater than full speed, heh.

@beedog19
    The PSP has quite a few pretty nice uses. For me, gaming is a secondary function, I mainly use it to watch movies and TV shows. Homebrew helps a lot as far as videos go, since it enables higher quality videos and such, so you might be out of luck as far as that goes if you get a new one.

5. beedog19

Member beedog19 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Gaming is definatly not why I'm interested in the PSP, first would be homebrew, then multimedia then games.

6. forkyfork

Member forkyfork GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Wow .. I guess I thought they had the GBA up to speed.

What about SNES emulation, how is that going? And aren't they trying to do n64 emulation?

7. Knolly
    OP

United States
    @beedog19
    In that case, you're going to want to get either a somewhat older new (like it's been in the box for awhile) PSP or a used one, because the motherboard used on the newer ones prevents them from having the firmware downgraded to a firmware that homebrew can be used on.

@forkyfork
    I believe SNES emulation is full speed, although I'm not sure. N64 emulation is there, but it's neither full speed nor does it have all of the graphics working (see a test of the most recent build here).
    I personally am looking forward to the official PSOne emulator, heh. With luck, we can crack that to run on lower firmwares...