keldoggg

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
babyshambles.net
XP
Country
Hi all, brand new on here but I 'already' have the r4i 3DS gold deluxe edition running ROMs on my 3DS. I think I know about firmware on the cart but what the hell is emunand and kernel that everyone talks about?

cheers

edit: found the 3DS noob FAQ etc but still don't fully understand NAND and whether my kids need it yet? Probably not if they aren't bothered about playing on-line yet?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'll quote myself:
it's a copy of your console's data (files, folders, settings, etc. which are stored in a NAND chipset).
the copy is on SD card and the console uses it instead of your console's internal data. it's often called Emulated NAND because the console uses your "fake/copy" NAND on SD instead of your real NAND on 3DS, like if it emulated a real 3DS.

The advantage ?
You can update your EmuNAND on SD card to get latest System menu, eshop access, latest retail games working etc., while keeping your Real NAND at 4.1.0-4.5.0 to keep the exploit benefit

if you don't want eshop access, or play Retail cartridges which require a newer System menu version, then you don't need EmuNAND.
If you only intend to play ROM with your flashcart, then you don't need it.

keldoggg

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
babyshambles.net
XP
Country
ahh, right (and I realise I'm probably in the wrong section to catrry on this conversation) I only intend the kids to play ROMs, but, just in case, should I back up the NAND and if so, how would I do that.

Luigi2012SM64DS

G-old member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ahh, right (and I realise I'm probably in the wrong section to catrry on this conversation) I only intend the kids to play ROMs, but, just in case, should I back up the NAND and if so, how would I do that.
There is no point in backing up the nand other than restoring it using some thing (im not sure what that would be) or if you do emunand.
You you do want it than you can download the gateway 3ds firmware (beta 2 of course) and then copy the gateway installer and backup for there.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N-3vv4kzdk