Hello, new here, running r4i on 3DS - what the heck is emunand

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by keldoggg, Jan 9, 2014.

1. keldoggg
    OP

keldoggg Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 6, 2014
    Hi all, brand new on here but I 'already' have the r4i 3DS gold deluxe edition running ROMs on my 3DS. I think I know about firmware on the cart but what the hell is emunand and kernel that everyone talks about?

cheers

edit: found the 3DS noob FAQ etc but still don't fully understand NAND and whether my kids need it yet? Probably not if they aren't bothered about playing on-line yet?

2. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    I'll quote myself:
    if you don't want eshop access, or play Retail cartridges which require a newer System menu version, then you don't need EmuNAND.
    If you only intend to play ROM with your flashcart, then you don't need it.

3. keldoggg
    OP

keldoggg Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 6, 2014
    ahh, right (and I realise I'm probably in the wrong section to catrry on this conversation) I only intend the kids to play ROMs, but, just in case, should I back up the NAND and if so, how would I do that.

4. Luigi2012SM64DS

Luigi2012SM64DS G-old member

Banned
    Aug 27, 2011
    Canada
    Minecrapt
    There is no point in backing up the nand other than restoring it using some thing (im not sure what that would be) or if you do emunand.
    You you do want it than you can download the gateway 3ds firmware (beta 2 of course) and then copy the gateway installer and backup for there.