Hello, my PC

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Squiffy, Sep 28, 2006.

Sep 28, 2006

Hello, my PC by Squiffy at 1:16 AM (882 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. Squiffy
    OP

Member Squiffy GBATemp's Little Embarrassment

Ireland
  2. Westside

Member Westside Sogdiana

Uzbekistan
    They all seem to be compatible... It seems like you even picked the right socket... you sound like you have more knowledge in this than you claim to be... Make sure you get a normal ATX case, because the M/B seems to be normal and the case you are planning to buy is microATX. Also you bought x1000 ATI video card? DX10 video cards are on their way, I would suggest waiting till they come out.

3. Hooya

Member Hooya GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    In response to Westside's comment about the video card. Basically it would be a good idea to wait for a DX10 card to come out. Don't get the first one on the market though, wait until the quirks in the first batch have been worked out. We can see in a lot of cases how it's not always a good idea to be an early adopter (says the guy running Vista 5728 x64 as an upgrade to XP x64 and who uses an EZ4 Lite flashcart).

However, the card you've selected is pretty cheap, so hopefully you've left room in your budget to upgrade.

The only suggestion I have to offer is to look into getting a motherboard that supports SLI. You don't need to have two video cards to use a board that supports SLI, but it's a quick and easy upgrade to just buy another card that is the same as what you already have to double your video power later.

4. Westside

Member Westside Sogdiana

Uzbekistan
    [​IMG] SLI with ATI cards (not so compatible), well he could always buy two more nVidia cards.

5. mthrnite

Former Staff mthrnite So it goes.

United States
    Yeah, get a standard case, don't forget the power supply and fan. I'd stay with the video card, you're not looking for cutting edge anyway right? Reasonable price, respectable power, looks fine.

..and try to get a case that doesn't look like Ultraman threw-up on it. Judging from the case you picked out though, I'll assume you have a modicum of taste.

Have fun!

6. Westside

Member Westside Sogdiana

Uzbekistan
    Well, the main reason is that Vista is coming out, and it supports DX10, just in a year or two there will be good games that will only support DX10.

7. Mettaur

Newcomer Mettaur Member

United States
    Like everyone else is saying, the only thing you may have to worry about is the form factor of the case. Sometimes regular ATX motherboards don't fit in micro ATX cases, it all depends on the actual motherboard itself.

8. mthrnite

Former Staff mthrnite So it goes.

United States

Oh, I don't disagree with you, but until then, the card he picked seems to be a pretty good stopgap. In a year or two when the Vista/DX10 dust has long settled, he can get a new card. He can have this now and at a decent price. I guess that's my main point. I of course gladly defer to what I suspect is your greater knowledge on the topic. [​IMG]
    (I'm not a hacker, just a hack.)

9. Squiffy
    OP

Member Squiffy GBATemp's Little Embarrassment

Ireland
    Hey, thats great thanks. I don't think I'll wait for the DX10 cards because I need the PC very quickly for university.
    Thanks for the tip about the case too.