Gaming Hello everyone i have a question about pokemon save files

Mitchell03

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, i have a question about my pokemon save files, if i play pokemon red japanese version on retron 5, and save my game. if i try to load that save i made on the retron 5 while loading a english version of pokemon red, is that possible to do?
thankyou for your time!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sometimes cross region works, other times it does not. When it does not it is usually different text types within the save (surprisingly enough Japanese uses different to English) and sometimes said text types causing data to be shuffled around a bit compared to other regions. There is enough known about pokemon saves that you might be able to correct that, but I would probably instead find a pokemon save file editor and recreate any pokemon from your Japanese save onto the US/EU version.

Alternatively and in addition
Patches including an English translation of the Japanese version
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1457/
Patch to basically make pokemon red a GBC game with some extra colours and other niceties
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1385/

The retron might even support such patches in and of itself -- it has limited support for such things.

Reactions: Mitchell03

Mitchell03

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sometimes cross region works, other times it does not. When it does not it is usually different text types within the save (surprisingly enough Japanese uses different to English) and sometimes said text types causing data to be shuffled around a bit compared to other regions. There is enough known about pokemon saves that you might be able to correct that, but I would probably instead find a pokemon save file editor and recreate any pokemon from your Japanese save onto the US/EU version.

Yeah because i wanted to have the original japanese red and green version and also the blue, save files loaded from my pokemon red green and blue english versions, would you think if i saved my english game of red green and blue on my retron 5 and tried to load it up when putting in my japanese versions, do you think it would work? would you try it, or is it too risky? thankyou

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Only risk in trying that is if you overwrote a file you did not have a copy of. If you have copies of all the save files you want to keep then the 30 seconds to restore it if it did not work is about as fun as that gets.

I still struggle to see it working properly if Japanese nicknames are differently encoded to the English ones (at best you get gibberish, at worst you get a crash) and potentially then also different locations for parts of the file (if the game "knows" to read something at one location but because some extra stuff it is not 10 bytes different to where it started you get fun. I would still far sooner pick up one of the many save editors around the place, open one file in one, open the game you want to go to in another and then copy paste all the pokemon, item and whatever data across. I also understand green to be a somewhat more primitive version missing features later seen in red and blue outside Japan so not sure what went for that one.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.