Head Of US Copyright Office Calls For Copyright Reform

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Rydian, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Rydian
    OP

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    [​IMG]

The 12th United States Register Of Copyrights gave a speech at Columbia University two weeks ago, and in this speech she announced her plans to try to reform US copyright law.

As many of you are aware, currently US copyright law is very restrictive. Seemingly-innocuous acts such as copying a video DVD to put on your iPod and publishing your dead father's life-long diary are illegal, and certain entities wish to place even more restrictions into law, such as SOPA. The DMCA is one of the most publicly-disliked of such acts to actually make it into US Code, and this is one of her primary focuses.
    Maria reportedly, in her personal presentation of the speech, said that anybody about to tackle the DMCA should have a drink.

The DMCA and acts like it are publicly disliked, but there's of course strong pressure to keep and add to them by large media/IP companies who directly monetarily benefit from the law. While it could be easily concluded that the average unaffiliated person doesn't want to deal with this because it would mean going against big corporations, the large IP holders as well are careful in pushing for changes because a ruling could remove something that's in their favor as well. Copyright extension and length is one touchy subject, since it seems limiting to the average person (who will not be able to legally publish their father's diary until 70 years after his death), but as far as companies are concerned, they want to continue to make money off of characters and stories the company published 70 years ago if they still can.
    Check her speech out for more detailed info, and check the source link for many references and social commentary on the issues.

[​IMG] Source 1
    [​IMG] Source 2
    [​IMG] Speech (PDF)

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Ordinarily I would say something like "pretty words" but I feel like being slightly optimistic today.

gamefan5 and Rydian like this.
  3. duffmmann

Member duffmmann GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Wow people in power are actually listening/taking notice to something thats been incredibly fucked up for years? I truly astounded anyone up there cares.

BAHIM Z 360 and Sagat like this.
  4. TheCasketMan

Member TheCasketMan Keyblade Apprentice

United States
    CAS(copyright alert system) was passed about 2 months ago. I do not know if someone has being affected by it yet

5. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    Well, that's certainly encouraging. The system's been in dire need of reform/retooling.

Hopefully everything will be copy-righted.

luigiman1928, Lacius and hobo33 like this.
  6. TehSkull

Member TehSkull Living the life

United States
    For such an exciting headline, the article is rather underwhelming. She seems to understand the problems in front of her, but also doesn't seem to want to make the changes that pirates GBAtemp wants.

7. Rydian
    OP

United States
    If copyright law is ever changed so that what is now internet piracy is legal, then it'd likely mean we have more to worry about, like a zombie invasion.

However if things can be changed so that it's not illegal for a man to copy a DVD to his daughter's iPod touch for her to watch on the go (for example), that'd be welcome.

Tom Bombadildo likes this.
  8. Rockym

Member Rockym GBAtemp Regular

United States
    No one is saying to make internet piracy (downloading) legal.

However, if they make it legal to copy your own DVDs to another device, they should also make it legal to copy your own games to other devices such as external hard drives or SD Cards or even flashcarts. When you think about it, dumping a game you own to a flashcart is not much different than copying music or movies to an ipod/ipad or similar device.

EZ-Megaman, Rydian and 2ndApex like this.
  9. stanleyopar2000

Member stanleyopar2000 The Official GBATEMP Thread Killer. No Mercy.

United States
    next stop!

the United States Patent Office!

maybe we can change the policy of First to FILE instead of first to BRIBE.

rotten fruit has penetrated and taken advantage of this broken system

10. Ron

Member Ron somehow a weeb now.

Canada
    Huh, reform for better, or for worse? She may be talking positive now, but if, and when the reforms actually happen, you never know.

11. stanleyopar2000

Member stanleyopar2000 The Official GBATEMP Thread Killer. No Mercy.

United States
    usually when bureaucrats talk about reform that protects giant corporations are usually for their benefit and not us.

if this poser actually wants to promote legislation that would protect users I will be VERY surprised.

12. Jiehfeng

Member Jiehfeng The Moon over the Sun

United States
    Though that lady is smilling, she looks evil... Errrgghhh *Shrugs*

13. Rydian
    OP

United States
    She's not actually a politician, is not donation-backed, and does not actually risk getting fired. She's one of the few people in a position that does NOT cycle out on a regular basis.

However on the flip side she doesn't have the power to actually force these changes herself.

stanleyopar2000 likes this.
  14. ccdmalls
    This message by ccdmalls has been removed from public view by raulpica, Apr 27, 2013.
    Apr 27, 2013
  15. mkdms14

Member mkdms14 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Wait a minute you mean its illegal to use software like handbrake to rip dvds that I legally bought with my own money and rip for viewing on my ipad?????????? How the heck does that make any sense what so ever? I thought the USA laws of Fair Use said that was ok now I am being told here it is not? What up with that?

16. Rydian
    OP

United States
    If the video DVDs use CSS for encryption (which pretty much every commercial video DVD you find does), then bypassing/breaking the CSS in order to copy the video files is breaking the DRM, and the DMCA states that breaking DRM is illegal, outside of certain exceptions (and video DVD/CSS stuff is not one of those exceptions).

You can read up on the CSS and DVD Decrypter for more info.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvd_decrypter

17. the_randomizer

Member the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States
    Exactly, the DCMA and copyright system as a whole is broken. Illegal or not, I make backups of my music, games, DVDs, etc all the time. Do I care? Hell no. Yes, it's "illegal" but the FBI isn't going to bust down your front door for making copies of legally obtained goods. If you sell those copies on the other hand....

In essence, I don't care, and I can bet dollars to dimes that most people on here don't care either.4

Regardless, DRM in and of itself is evil and make legit customers suffer.

18. FireGrey

Member FireGrey Undercover Admin

Australia
    I hate copyright not allowing you to do things, on youtube there are so many good parody's of things that get taken down because of copyright.
    I had an awesome Pokemon Poop on my channel and it got taken down after a month, gaining about 1500 views in just that month.
    That many views was a big deal to me and 1500 views hardly seems popular enough for copyright people to see it and take it down, it seems they are hunting down the whole internet day and night to restrict what we post.
    Internet is for freedom!

19. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    It should be noted at this point what would fall outside fair use if you took it to a court of law and what falls outside Youtube's "this is fair use" guidelines (the written and the unwritten ones) are not the same thing.

20. ccmalls13
    This message by ccmalls13 has been removed from public view by p1ngpong, Apr 30, 2013.
    Apr 30, 2013
  21. xxNathanxx

Member xxNathanxx GBAtemp Regular

Tonga
    'Dead' is a pretty painful choice of words. You should change it to 'deceased'. Or not.

22. urbanman2004

Member urbanman2004 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    It's about time someone stepped up to plate to address this broken system. Reform ASAP.