Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
maria.jpg

The 12th United States Register Of Copyrights gave a speech at Columbia University two weeks ago, and in this speech she announced her plans to try to reform US copyright law.

As many of you are aware, currently US copyright law is very restrictive. Seemingly-innocuous acts such as copying a video DVD to put on your iPod and publishing your dead father's life-long diary are illegal, and certain entities wish to place even more restrictions into law, such as SOPA. The DMCA is one of the most publicly-disliked of such acts to actually make it into US Code, and this is one of her primary focuses.
Maria Pallante said:
A general review of copyright issues in the 21st century would be incomplete without a review of the DMCA.
[...]
In the most recent rulemaking, the Office recommended against granting an exemption to permit "jailbreaking" of videogame consoles because the proponents did not establish that there were adverse effects stemming from the prohibition
[...]
In the context of unlocking cell phones [...] unable to extend the recommendation to new phones [...] demonstrated that carriers were offering unlocked cell phones in the marketplace, and that consumers could therefore choose to purchase them over the next three years.
[...]
While the rulemaking process is necessarily narrow, it sits at a dynamic intersection of technology, emerging markets, the protection of intellectual property, fair use, and other nonfringing activities. It therefore often serves as a barometer for policy concerns and policy action beyond the confines of the statute.

Maria reportedly, in her personal presentation of the speech, said that anybody about to tackle the DMCA should have a drink.

The DMCA and acts like it are publicly disliked, but there's of course strong pressure to keep and add to them by large media/IP companies who directly monetarily benefit from the law. While it could be easily concluded that the average unaffiliated person doesn't want to deal with this because it would mean going against big corporations, the large IP holders as well are careful in pushing for changes because a ruling could remove something that's in their favor as well. Copyright extension and length is one touchy subject, since it seems limiting to the average person (who will not be able to legally publish their father's diary until 70 years after his death), but as far as companies are concerned, they want to continue to make money off of characters and stories the company published 70 years ago if they still can.
Rick Carnes, president of the Songwriters Guild of America, said the DMCA is undoubtedly broken, but some copyright owners won't want to risk losing what ability they still have to protect their work. "Even a broken clock is right twice a day," Carnes quipped.

Check her speech out for more detailed info, and check the source link for many references and social commentary on the issues.

icon11.gif
Source 1
icon11.gif
Source 2
download.gif
Speech (PDF)

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For such an exciting headline, the article is rather underwhelming. She seems to understand the problems in front of her, but also doesn't seem to want to make the changes that pirates GBAtemp wants.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
If copyright law is ever changed so that what is now internet piracy is legal, then it'd likely mean we have more to worry about, like a zombie invasion.

However if things can be changed so that it's not illegal for a man to copy a DVD to his daughter's iPod touch for her to watch on the go (for example), that'd be welcome.

Reactions: Tom Bombadildo

Rockym

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If copyright law is ever changed so that what is now internet piracy is legal, then it'd likely mean we have more to worry about, like a zombie invasion.

However if things can be changed so that it's not illegal for a man to copy a DVD to his daughter's iPod touch for her to watch on the go (for example), that'd be welcome.

No one is saying to make internet piracy (downloading) legal.

However, if they make it legal to copy your own DVDs to another device, they should also make it legal to copy your own games to other devices such as external hard drives or SD Cards or even flashcarts. When you think about it, dumping a game you own to a flashcart is not much different than copying music or movies to an ipod/ipad or similar device.

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
next stop!

the United States Patent Office!

maybe we can change the policy of First to FILE instead of first to BRIBE.

rotten fruit has penetrated and taken advantage of this broken system

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
usually when bureaucrats talk about reform that protects giant corporations are usually for their benefit and not us.

if this poser actually wants to promote legislation that would protect users I will be VERY surprised.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
usually when bureaucrats talk about reform that protects giant corporations are usually for their benefit and not us.

if this poser actually wants to promote legislation that would protect users I will be VERY surprised.
She's not actually a politician, is not donation-backed, and does not actually risk getting fired. She's one of the few people in a position that does NOT cycle out on a regular basis.

However on the flip side she doesn't have the power to actually force these changes herself.

Reactions: stanleyopar2000

mkdms14

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait a minute you mean its illegal to use software like handbrake to rip dvds that I legally bought with my own money and rip for viewing on my ipad?????????? How the heck does that make any sense what so ever? I thought the USA laws of Fair Use said that was ok now I am being told here it is not? What up with that?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Wait a minute you mean its illegal to use software like handbrake to rip dvds that I legally bought with my own money and rip for viewing on my ipad?????????? How the heck does that make any sense what so ever? I thought the USA laws of Fair Use said that was ok now I am being told here it is not? What up with that?
If the video DVDs use CSS for encryption (which pretty much every commercial video DVD you find does), then bypassing/breaking the CSS in order to copy the video files is breaking the DRM, and the DMCA states that breaking DRM is illegal, outside of certain exceptions (and video DVD/CSS stuff is not one of those exceptions).

You can read up on the CSS and DVD Decrypter for more info.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvd_decrypter

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Exactly, the DCMA and copyright system as a whole is broken. Illegal or not, I make backups of my music, games, DVDs, etc all the time. Do I care? Hell no. Yes, it's "illegal" but the FBI isn't going to bust down your front door for making copies of legally obtained goods. If you sell those copies on the other hand....

In essence, I don't care, and I can bet dollars to dimes that most people on here don't care either.4

Regardless, DRM in and of itself is evil and make legit customers suffer.

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
I hate copyright not allowing you to do things, on youtube there are so many good parody's of things that get taken down because of copyright.
I had an awesome Pokemon Poop on my channel and it got taken down after a month, gaining about 1500 views in just that month.
That many views was a big deal to me and 1500 views hardly seems popular enough for copyright people to see it and take it down, it seems they are hunting down the whole internet day and night to restrict what we post.
Internet is for freedom!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I hate copyright not allowing you to do things, on youtube there are so many good parody's of things that get taken down because of copyright.
I had an awesome Pokemon Poop on my channel and it got taken down after a month, gaining about 1500 views in just that month.
That many views was a big deal to me and 1500 views hardly seems popular enough for copyright people to see it and take it down, it seems they are hunting down the whole internet day and night to restrict what we post.
Internet is for freedom!

It should be noted at this point what would fall outside fair use if you took it to a court of law and what falls outside Youtube's "this is fair use" guidelines (the written and the unwritten ones) are not the same thing.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: roms wont boot with wood r4menu