HDTV?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by qusai, May 11, 2007.

May 11, 2007

HDTV? by qusai at 6:24 AM (2,045 Views / 0 Likes) 20 replies

1. qusai
    OP

Member qusai GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Well, i recently got a job and since i bum off my parents anyways for my rent and other random crap I decided to buy an xbox 360 and an hdtv next month of the one after, once I save up enough money, I was just wondering though, what hdtv would you guys recommend? I don't want anything bigger than 27inches because then it'll just be too expensive and i also would have nowhere to put it. I saw the samsung one, looked pretty decent, anyone have experience with any?

2. pikachucrackpipe

Member pikachucrackpipe President

United States
    you're really not going to get a good price break considering on a smaller tv. but samsung or the higher end sony's are good.

3. Sc4rFac3d

Member Sc4rFac3d GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Netherlands
    LE27S71B

Got this one in 40'' for about €900, PS3/360 look awesome on it. So a 27'' version would look even better I guess. [​IMG]

4. iamwhoiam

Member iamwhoiam Honorary R4 Fanboy

United Kingdom
    The new samsung ones are fit. And cheap

5. qusai
    OP

Canada
    Everyone seems to be recommending samsung eh?
    I'll go to futureshop tonight and check them out then, thanks a lot [​IMG]

6. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    Sony use samsung screens in their TVs. Get a samsung as its cheaper. I love my 26" LCD HDTV samsung. Also theirs no such size as 27", they just use a bigger boarder round the TV.

7. leoedin

Member leoedin GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Samsung LCD TV's are currently the best.

8. spas

Member spas GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    his is a interesting topic considering my family and I will also be buying a hd tv soon and would like to know what brand to go for. It's either samsung or sony then.

I kind of hate sony for all the crap but crossblack is a good idea, does samsung have crossblack?

9. michaelf

Newcomer michaelf Advanced Member

United States
    I've posted something like this before, but it's worth saying again...

If you want plasma, I'd say the Samsung 42" provides a lot of bang for your buck. It's what we have in our apartment and it's been great.

Also keep in mind that if you're looking at a Sony plasma, it's a Samsung display (unless something's changed) at a huge mark up.

The bottom line is you should never buy a tv you haven't seen in person. Visit a few stores, make a note of the ones that look best and compare the models at different stores to make sure it's not just bad settings. You'll also want to pay attention to contrast ratios (10,000:1 for plasma) and don't be fooled in to paying too much more for 1080p.

Enjoy your purchase. The 360 is a whole new and beautiful console on an hdtv.

10. friedchicken

Member friedchicken GBAtemp Regular

United States
    asking w/o stating a budget gets to nowhere. but this is what you should be wanting
    1. has atleast 1 hdmi
    2. qam & atsc tuner

that said i recommend sony kdl26xbr. sony bravia series are one of the best but if you're looking for picture in picture, look elsewhere.

11. qusai
    OP

Canada
    Well, I'm looking for something around the 1k area but if i can find something more expensive and better quality, i'm willing to get it.
    honestly though, my first paycheck is going towards tuition for my fall semester then all other paychecks are going towards hdtv, xbox 360 and possibly a sound system if i feel like spending more money (.. well, and a divx dvd player but thats only like 50 bucks).
    But yeh, before work tomorrow I'll stop off at futureshop and check out their selection.
    I have a $100 gift certificate from there too so i can add that to it as well...

12. Magus19

Member Magus19 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    My parents bought a 1080p 40" LCD Samsung earlier the year and it really has a good image quality. The only other TV that was as good was the sony one, but it cost a bit more. Also don't get fooled into taking an extended warrenty unless there are children(they often see the panel as something fun to push to see the funny colors...) with access to the TV or dog that can reach it, it's really useless for normal use.

I played my new 360Elite on it and it was really something, especially with a good sound system, ours is starting to get old and it's only stereo, bleh. But it spoiled me because now I have to play on a crappy old CRT.I also have a Samsung 27" CRT but it doesn't fit on my desk( well it's not a desk but I have no idea of the english word for it ) where I but my consoles, so my sister use it. Also most 360 demo kiosk run on samsung lcds and only the 360 breaks. Anyway good luck in finding the perfect tv and happy 360 gaming.

13. qusai
    OP

Canada
    thanks [​IMG]

14. science

Member science science rules

Canada
    Be careful with Samsung TVs. We have a 52" Samsung DLP and we have had to get it switched out 3 times already due to the bulb breaking. Good thing we got the extended warranty

15. R-Unit 4

Member R-Unit 4 GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Samsung or Pioneer ( Samsung is more preferrable if you want less setup ).

16. michaelf

Newcomer michaelf Advanced Member

United States
    I wouldn't blame that on Samsung. That's a problem with DLP tv's in general.

17. sirAnger

Member sirAnger GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I got a nice Samsung HD TV a few months ago. It looks quite sexy, performs very well, and was rather inexpensive. I'm very satisfied with the purchase.

And DLP bulbs are a shortcoming of DLPs in general, not just Samsung.

18. iamwhoiam

United Kingdom
    Oh, for you UKers....
    40inch Sony HDTV LCD in Sainsburys of all places: £603
    KDL40U2000

19. iamwhoiam

United Kingdom
    Or the Samsung LE32R88BD for £517 delivered @ dixons using codes 25MAYAW and SAM32

20. friedchicken

Member friedchicken GBAtemp Regular

United States
    if its $1000 usd and you want one of the best, i recommend you 32" sony bravia xbr2: KDL-V32XBR2
    it's a sony so its not cheap but its quality. the styling is gorgeous. not a sony fanboy, i just think they make really good tv sets and i've seen its big brother in action. stunning. my sister returned he 52" sharp aquos for xbr2.