HDTV for gaming and tv

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by unpaidassassin, Nov 30, 2008.

Nov 30, 2008

HDTV for gaming and tv by unpaidassassin at 6:45 AM (1,414 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. unpaidassassin
    OP

Newcomer unpaidassassin Advanced Member

United States
    ok I missed out on the two or three "decent" Black Fridays for HDTVs. My small room needs an overhaul in general and my old tv is old. Something under $350 and at least 23" (30" preferred) is what I'm looking for and one of the nicer brands like Samsung or Sony, though any if okay I guess if it fits my basic requirements.

I don't know much about HDTVs but here's what I'm looking for:

-LCD TV/monitor, monitor is cheaper but pain in the ass to hook up so LCD is preferred
    -720p or 1080p, 720 is most likely
    -a least 1 HDMI port, component ports too for older game systems
    -decent minimum specs of 1000:1 Contrast Ratio (NOT dynamic), 10ms response time, 60Hz refresh rate
    -decent speaker/sound system

now I'll mostly use the tv for watching tv, gaming, and occasionally movies and other media.

atm I have basic cable but with all this moving to digital stuff will probably upgrade soon. my future 360 will mostly utilize the HD aspect though

I plan on getting something on ebay hopefully with LS cash back

so tempers, what's your setup like and any suggestions?

EDIT: I purchased a LCD monitor that happens to be an HDTV too! Yay for Samsung. It's a T240HD for those that are wondering. It cost $400 and I'm waiting for $120 CB form M$

2. gk.7

Member gk.7 GBAtemp Regular

Mexico
    i see ur from the us. So, i work at Best Buy and they had a deal on a 32' samsung 720p for 499 this weekend.I hope that stills runs another week since sales run from sunday thru saturday.

3. unpaidassassin
    OP

United States
    I actually saw that deal at Samsung's site. in fact several stores had it not just BB so I was thinking from ordering from another site. seems the one I was eying is off the Samsung and in turn the other sites lol

well I'll be browsing ebay

I also want to know what others' setups are

4. Celice

Member Celice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I got a Vizio 27" for around $400. You could try looking up their brands, as they seem to be the cheapest of the names, yet not the ones who polish complete crap and hand it out like candy. If anyone thinks better, please, feel free to let us know ^^

5. unpaidassassin
    OP

United States
    ordered a hdtv lcd monitor from Samsung. it'd a 24" and cost around $400 shipped (and it'll be less once I get the cash back).

so anyone have stories about their hdtv gaming experiences? how's it differ from gaming on an old crt or SD set?

6. mew and lugia

Banned mew and lugia Banned

United States
    i have a 30 inch tv hd high def and surround sound

7. Louisiana

Member Louisiana GBAtemp Regular

United States
    CRTs are better. : (

8. p1ngpong

Supervisor p1ngpong Legit Boss Harold

Croatia
    Not if you spend a bit of cash on a decent HDTV. The first one I had was cheapo model and sucked, but the new one I have has an awesome picture and puts any CRT to shame.

9. Louisiana

Member Louisiana GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I guess it depends what you use it for!

Older consoles: CRT please!

X360, PS3: 720p screen.

10. Trolly

Member Trolly GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    That's a lot to ask for for $350.
    I spent ages looking for a good monitor/HDTV hybrid, and I ended up getting a Samsung SM225MW. Only 22", which you probably won't want, but I got it for £170, which was incredible value for a 1680X1050 resolution, HDMI, Scart, RGB and Component ports along with in-built speakers (unfortunately they're not amazing speakers, but I do fine by plugging my surround sound into the headphone jack).

EDIT: Just checked where I got it from, seems I got a temporary bargain, as it's gone from £170 to £250 :\.