Hacking HDD Sizes for NTFS

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 6,532
  • Replies 12
D

Deleted User

OP
I know it's been covered in the noob tutorial, but is 2TB the maximum the PS3 can see via NTFS? I know 2TB is the max FAT32, but NTFS can exceed that.

Not that I would ever need more than 2TB, but would be interesting to know. Won't have a 3TB to test until next week. Through all my testing, it seems like the 4k sector drives have the issue of not being detected. 512b/sec seem to be okay, as my old 2TB seems to chug along just fine as NTFS.

xcrimsonstormx

He called me a Nerd, I called him an Ambulance.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe that it is 2TB but I could be wrong ohh... and FYI NTFS can't mount games externally only install them to internal I learned that the hard way.

D

Deleted User

OP
Yea, I'll be able to test it tonight. If you're using a hybrid COBRA FW, you can mount ISO's from NTFS :)

Works great having maybe 30 ISO's instead of 400,000 separate files.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

somewhereovertherainbow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe that it is 2TB but I could be wrong ohh... and FYI NTFS can't mount games externally only install them to internal I learned that the hard way.
Wong!

Just put the (oversized) ps3 games into ntfs:/ , use cobra.ode.com 's genps3iso - make the game into a PS3ISO , move into ntfs:/PS3ISO/ and open through multiman. No need to put the game on internal . just play it like any other ps3game :)

I got a 1TB WesternDigital HDD. I use 200GB for ntfs, and i got 100 games.. and like 100 psn games too :)

D

Deleted User

OP
Yea, I answered that in post 3, no idea why it got brought up a 2nd time.

Trumpet is correct though, logically beyond 2TB requires GPT, which PS3 doesn't address properly. Mods can close this thread.

PatrickBatman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know this old but i dont think this was ever answered really, I've had a 3TB seagate drive for over a year and it works fine on ps3 playing game backups (FAT32), never used it as NTFS.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I know this old but i dont think this was ever answered really, I've had a 3TB seagate drive for over a year and it works fine on ps3 playing game backups (FAT32), never used it as NTFS.

Except it was answered.

To use beyond 2.2 TB, you have to use GPT instead of MBR. PS3 does not have full support of GPT, which is needed to address 2.2+ TB HDD.

To be fair 1 TB is plenty enough for most people.

As trumpet says, NTFS needs to use GPT to use more than 2.2TB.

FAT32 doesn't have this limitation, as it can support up to 16TB partitions using MBR which the PS3 recognizes.

Dymblos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Hmm.. lot of ppl say bigger drivers have issues due the 4k sector stuff (lot of ppl confirm that).. i dont know what mean btw xD.. so how people here say that you can use drivers over 2tb without issues?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: eyB eyB n iH iH