Hacking HDD/SD setup others are using for Wii U and vWii modes

grafate

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I do understand that both Wii U backups on the Hard drive and vWii backups for Wii/Gamecube need seperates storage media. Is the simplest way to just use a HDD for the Wii U backups and then a SD card for the Wii/Gamecube? I am going to use WiiFlow as that is what I used back on the original Wii years ago.

I also read that you can use 2 HDD but when going to Wii U mode you have to disconnect the vWii HDD. So that is why I think using a HDD and SD might be best. Thoughts?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
use Ustealth for the virtual wii drive. it will eliminate the need to unplug the drive. place gamecube games on an sd card to avoid nintendont's 2 drive problem. u'll never have to unplug a drive in that case.

Reactions: DaTank45

GBA rocks

Trophies
XP
Country
Basically the top setup would be

2TB hdd with Y cable to back USB ports for WiiU (wiiU romset from one region doesn't exceed 2TB I think)
5TB with external power supply and Ustealth connected at all time for the crapton of Wii software (retail+vc+eshop)
1TB sdxc (when they're out like next year) for Nintendont GC games (not sure is enough for whole NGC romset though, even from one region)

Reactions: Jfwell and Mushkin

GBA rocks

Trophies
XP
Country
Optional
- use a powered HDD even for WiiU so you leave the two front USB ports free to have the SSB4 GC port adapter connected at all times (it works with Nintendont) with one or two Wavebird transmitters in it
- be clever about how to turn the HDDs on/off (maybe a power socket with RF remote or an easily accessible switch)
- trust HDDs more than SSDs for long term preservation (gut feeling here, but I feel SSD cells could partially discharge in like 10yrs and cause data corruption, remember 10yrs is just the span between today and the Wii launch, not that much)
- have a BC Wii around anyway with bus-powered 2TB usb HDD and Dios Mios for maximum GC compatibility

killmister2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I use a powered USB hub to plug all Skylanders/disney infinity portals + the Wii U USB 2.5" HDD.
I then use a micro-SD 64GB with a USB adapter hidden from the Wii U with Ustealth for Wii games (via USB Loader GX).
And last, another 64GB micro-SD on the front SD reader for homebrew and NGC games (via Nintendont/USB Loader GX).

Good part with the powered USB hub, my portable HDD auto power on at console start, and auto-shutdown when the Wii U is off too.

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
So I do understand that both Wii U backups on the Hard drive and vWii backups for Wii/Gamecube need seperates storage media. Is the simplest way to just use a HDD for the Wii U backups and then a SD card for the Wii/Gamecube? I am going to use WiiFlow as that is what I used back on the original Wii years ago.

I also read that you can use 2 HDD but when going to Wii U mode you have to disconnect the vWii HDD. So that is why I think using a HDD and SD might be best. Thoughts?

yes HDD (WiiU) SD (NGC/Wii) that is my setup.
i use a 32gig for my NGC/Wii kind of suffices haha.

snoofly

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
i use 2 2tb drives, vwii on ustealth holding all my wii and gc backups. works great. only time u need to disconnect is when using wup installer on wiiu
no sure why people think u need to stick nintendont stuff on sd. works fine with ustealth.

lafleche

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
i use 2 2tb drives, vwii on ustealth holding all my wii and gc backups. works great. only time u need to disconnect is when using wup installer on wiiu
no sure why people think u need to stick nintendont stuff on sd. works fine with ustealth.
You sure? When I have my both my Wiiu disc and (Unstealth) WII HDD connected (externally powered), Nintedont blacks out/crashes.

My setup is now
- 128 Gb sd card for Nintendont Gamecube games, wii homebrew/emus and some snes roms, emunand for WII used for Wiiware and WII VC, Loadiine for some WIIU e-shop (I still don't want to use regionfree and sigpatch hacks on my wiiu...... ) and some wiiu homebrew
- 256 Gb pendrive for 'brazilian' installed wiiu games (+24Gb Nand = 280Gb = enough for the wiiu specific games)
- 1 TB HDD for WII games (also used to house the Gamecube games which don't work in my setup so moved to sd)

2 Front USB for Gamecube adapter (with wireless Wavebird controller)

More games then time to play :-)

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
do you guys get cgf loader working ? it always freezes for me.
i have the v70 version.

i am trying other methods of loading wii backups from SD cards as WiiFlow does not want to make few games go to Fullscreen e.g Metroid Trilogy.
(i select force 16:9 under settings in WiiFlow for the game) but no dice.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wii u hdd 2TB using a y cable with toggle switch since wiixplorer doesn't seem to like more than one hdd being connected, virtual wii powered with toggle switch using u stealth, and sd card housing all of my gamecube games. aside from using wiixplorer, I never have to unplug/toggle off anything.

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ethernet Adapter in bottoms back port. vWii 300GB in powered enclosure holds Wii and GC games and UStealth, Wii U 1TB HDD in a "toaster" dock, front ports free for GC Adapter. For the moment I just Switch the USB cables between the hard drives but Amazon has US. Switches for under $10 I will purchase soon.

My vWii HDD is the original one from my Wii and nearly 10 years old now, in fact I think it is an IDE interface but not sure.

Wii and GC games exist in different folders on HDD and do fine. Both drives will are not or will not "be connected" at the same time, so no Nintendont issues. I don't see the point in a USB powered HDD with Y cable for a stationary console. Waste of valuable ports and wear on the motherboard.

INB4 someone complains about Nintendo only supplying .5A of power to the USB ports, that is the USB 2.0 spec.

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
cool this worked , but it shows only my NGC backups,

does this not read Wii games off SD ? so far only WiiFlow is reading Wii backups on the SD for me, but it does not read NGC.

hmmm, do i have to do anything to make them show up on SD in cfg loader.

edit: and hooray , i lost my save file .. for Kururin splash.. i hope i did not lose the one for Baten Kaitos, oh boy how the f did this happen in the first place..?
i did not touch anything, just downloaded covers in cfg loader (and also enabled the option wiird) did not know what wiird was so i turned it off again, do not know if that caused the save loss in Kururin splash :/

edit2: Pheeehw ! the save is back when i load the game from UsbLoaderGX but what the f, why is this happening *sigh*. (like for some reason, Nintendont does not load my saves anymore, i deleted cfg loader, and still nintendont does not load saves, thankfully USBLoaderGX loads my NGC saves just fine..)

and guys what option is the real for fullscreen for NGC/Wii because there is force widescreen , Wii U widescreen , which of these do i have to keep on for full screen?

Last edited by leonmagnus99,

GBA rocks

Trophies
XP
Country

Nice.
These things should be highlighted in the vWii definitive guide
- you can hack without a game disc (not sure why wuphax isn't mentioned, or I missed it)
- you can use two hdd for wiiU and vWii connected at all times thanks to Ustealth and with no conflict with nintendont (not sure how that rumor originated)

Another thing to know would be max size for each HDD
- WiiU: 2TB right? (besides, there's little point in more)
- vWii: is it confirmed that 4TB and 5TB (the biggest 2.5" drive currently available) work? There are people on youtube and auction sites with "5TB and 1922 Wii games!!" claims.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Ethernet Adapter in bottoms back port. vWii 300GB in powered enclosure holds Wii and GC games and UStealth, Wii U 1TB HDD in a "toaster" dock, front ports free for GC Adapter. For the moment I just Switch the USB cables between the hard drives but Amazon has US. Switches for under $10 I will purchase soon.

My vWii HDD is the original one from my Wii and nearly 10 years old now, in fact I think it is an IDE interface but not sure.

Wii and GC games exist in different folders on HDD and do fine. Both drives will are not or will not "be connected" at the same time, so no Nintendont issues. I don't see the point in a USB powered HDD with Y cable for a stationary console. Waste of valuable ports and wear on the motherboard

Nice setup.
I wonder if a powered USB hub could be used to power two bus-powered HDDs, just for flexibility, with no stress to the WiiU motherboard and just one backport used. (leaving the other one free for the ethernet adapter)

I'm confused about whether Nintendont has problems when 2 hdds are connected at all times.

As for the Y cable, sometimes it's just to keep things tidy and being able to easily move the console. Some people have a lot of stuff under their TV already. Mobile HDDs are also quieter.

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Yeah, I am also using SD for Wii/GC and HDD for Wii U - it is just much nicer to have it all in one go rather than deal with swapping drives, Nintendon't not liking two drives at the same time and so on.

I have 64gig card, which I mainly use for installing stuff, but filled with few Wii and Gamecube titles. People say read speeds suck but AFAIK they are good enough compared to the original DVD read speeds that it should not be a huge problem for running games.

Of course I SHOULD just play my Wii games on My Wii with dedicated HDD that would be dabess but I am too heartless to do that anymore. Not that I play a lot of Wii/GC stuff currently.

GBA rocks

Trophies
XP
Country
This is tangentially related to HDD setups, but I'm torn between setting up vWii or just keep using a real BC Wii.
Avoiding to connect a sensor bar and Wiimotes at all to the WiiU would be tidy. (still unsure about how many WiiU games require Wiimotes for single player)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ubisoft should #stopkillinggames ngl
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    sony should #stopkillinggames
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    they killed LittleBigPlanet online, which was the main core of every LBP game
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    for real
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    at least with them, it was because of the DDOS attacks, ubisoft was just scummy
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: sup +1