HDD/SD setup others are using for Wii U and vWii modes

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by grafate, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Olmectron

Olmectron GBAtemp Addict

GBAtemp Patron
    Olmectron is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 31, 2012
    Mexico
    A game
    I have a 128GB SD card working for Wiiflow and Nintendont, and one of the Nintendo recommended 1TB Seagate drives for Wii U games.

The Wiiflow and Nintendont games load as expected, less than 1 minute between turning the console on, and seeing the game's title screen.

2. snoofly

snoofly GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 18, 2015
    United States
    Yep it definitely works fine even tho the Nintendont thread says it's not supported. Been running it for months and played loads of wii and gc games fine. My last post on my own thread on the topic has the specifics.
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/2-connected-usb-hdds-using-ustealth.451454/#post-6923113

3. thorasgar

thorasgar Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    -Wii U HDD. 2TB can be recognized, of course if what you have on hand is 3TB it will work just with the loss of 1TB.
    -Not sure on vWii but I have 300GB and more games than we will ever play. 1TB should be plenty.
    -I had no problems with Nintendont with both my drives powered up and connected. Probably a drive specific issue.

Regarding using a powered hub, that might work but personally would still be concerned about stress to the WiiU internals.

A couple of things I am going to try is is just a USB hub since my drives are powered, and if that doesn't work this this USB hub/switch for $9
    https://www.amazon.com/Vemont-4-Por...sr=8-1-spons&keywords=usb+switch+on+off&psc=1

I was also was at Costco the other day and they had a 3 pack of remote AC outlet plugs for $7 so I can always use those to shut down the power to the drives from the couch.

@GBA rocks Nintendoland is the only title that comes to mind that uses the Wiimotes but I am sure there are others. Image quality between the two systems seems to be be largely dependent on image processing of your TV. Other factors to consider are available inputs for your TV, wear and tear on the consoles, Game Cube controller connectivity. I personally just used my Wii until recently when it stopped outputting a video signal, then switched to vWii.

4. GBA rocks

GBA rocks GBAtemp Fan

Jan 4, 2013
    Thanks.
    Scary to hear about your Wii stopping to output video, makes me wanna grab a spare on ebay.
    The original bc Wii will always be a nice compact quiet machine with actual GC memory cards and "fallback" GC compability thanks to Dios Mios should Nintendont glitch.
    On the other hand, it was great of Nintendo to carry over the analog outputs to a 2012 console, making the WiiU a good candidate even for a bit of CRT retro gaming and a nearly complete substitute of a real Wii.

Another solution to turn off powered HDDs would be one of those master/slave powerstrips that turn slave devices off as soon as the master device (WiiU) goes to a off (or extremely low power) state.

Last edited by GBA rocks, Jan 26, 2017
  5. GBA rocks

GBA rocks GBAtemp Fan

Jan 4, 2013
    I've just read in some thread that the gamecube adapter actually need just one USB port, the added power of the second port is needed just to enable rumble. This changes everything for Wavebird users (who renounced rumble anyway), unless the wireless transmitter requires the extra power as well.

So in a no-GC-rumble setup, the port count would go like
    - 2 ports for Y cable HDD for WiiU
    - 1 port for GC adapter (no rumble)
    - 1 port for ethernet adapter or for usb thumbdrive for vWii/NGC

There are some thumbrives that actually house a fully functional SSD (vs cheap nand not suitable for intensive use), like the Corsair Voyager GTX 2, could be interesting to test those with vWii/NGC.

Also I'd like to thrown in the idea of right angled USB extensions for a neater cable management of the front ports.

[​IMG]

6. sevo

sevo Member

Newcomer
    Oct 22, 2016
    United States
    Can I use a powered USB 3.0 hub to connect 2 portable 2.5" USB HDDs?

It's not letting me post a link, but I'm looking at "Sabrent 4-Port USB 3.0 Hub with Individual Power Switches and LEDs included 5V/2.5A power adapter (HB-UMP3)" on Amazon.

Looking to connect a 2TB vWii USB 3.0 drive for Wii/GC/WW/VC + 1TB Wii U USB 2.0 drive.
    Also, will the drives automatically power on/off when the Wii U turns on/off?

7. Olmectron

Olmectron GBAtemp Addict

GBAtemp Patron
    Olmectron is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 31, 2012
    Mexico
    A game
    If both are connected via the same USB cable, no. It won't work.

Not sure how the Wii U would recognize them, but the most possible thing is it will recognize only one of them. Just my opinion, though.

8. sevo

sevo Member

Newcomer
    Oct 22, 2016
    United States
    Hm ok.. how about the powered USB hub powering the Wii U HDD in port 0, and the vWii HDD connected to port 1 (in the back) with a Y-cable (secondary USB plugged into the same powered hub for the additional power).

Alternatively, can you just connect both hard drives with 2 Y-cables (one in front and one in back)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. bobdamnit

bobdamnit I rule the Mushroom Kingdom

Jul 15, 2014
    United States
    Indiana
    Your first setup is exactly how I have my Wii U setup. Wii U HDD is plugged into port 0 through a powered USB 3 hub. My vWii HDD is plugged into port 1 with power being supplied by the USB 3 hub. My GC adapter is plugged into the front of the Wii U (with rumble, because not only Smash uses the friggin rumble feature and it was nice on other games).

Last edited by bobdamnit, Jan 10, 2018
    sevo likes this.
  10. cFmisfit

cFmisfit Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 9, 2018
    United States
    Just use injection and put everything on one drive. I'm running a 500gb externally powered HDD and it has nes, turbo grafix, snes, n64, GC, GB, Wii, and Wii U games on it.

11. Totobriac

Totobriac Member

Newcomer
    Jan 25, 2018
    Argentina
    @cFmisfit I think it's the way to go. At least for me. Gonna inject N64 Wii and GameCube. All the rest on retroarch running in a sa card.

12. DaTank45

DaTank45 GBAtemp Fan

Aug 18, 2017
    United States
    Latest version of nintendont supports two hdd’s plugged in at the same time. Even with ustealth. No need to run games off sd card.

13. Totobriac

Totobriac Member

Newcomer
    Jan 25, 2018
    Argentina
    Question: are every GameCube and Wii games injectables?

14. cFmisfit

cFmisfit Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 9, 2018
    United States
    For the most part. I have had one or two games that inject but the Wii U won't recognize it. Like Phantasy Star 1&2, I was hoping it would take to see if online would take. You also run into silly issues with Super Mario Sunhine for instance. The game plays great but the shoulder buttons on the gamepad are not the same. There are ways around it though. Other than that I cant think of any other game for any other system that has given me grief yet.

Last edited by cFmisfit, Feb 13, 2018
  15. cpdavis120280

cpdavis120280 Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 21, 2008
    United States
    I have skimmed through the posts and I don't think I have seen the setup that I am proposing. 2 external drives. I have one 2tb with a y cable so far for wii u and vc games. I plan on using a gc adapter up front. So using the front usb won't work for me. So here we go. Will this work.

Drive one (uStealth) connected to y cable and pluged into top usb
    Drive two connected to y cable plugged into botton usb
    Both of the power only sides of the y cables plugged into a usb charger
    GC usb adapter plug into the front.

Would this setup work?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice