HDD reads on Wii but not on Windows?

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by flame6753, May 12, 2009.

May 12, 2009
  1. flame6753
    OP

Newcomer flame6753 Advanced Member

United States
    Hey guys. I have search many threads, but noone seems to have answerd this in complete. I have a rock mobile disk, 320gb usb harddrive. It worked fine when I connected it to my pc at first and it showed up in windows. Then I tried to use the WBFS manager to format it, and it gave me an error. I thought this was odd, because I had no problem with my 8gb usb stick prior to buying the harddrive. So i conencted it to the wii and formatted it to WBFS, and it worked fine. The drive works fine, I was able to copy twilight princess and launch it with usb loader. But now, when I connect it to my computer, nothing shows up.

I hear the windows system sound, signifying that a drive has been connected, but in WBFS manager, no new drive letter shows up. A drive letter shows up when I use my USB stick. Since it is impossible to find the drive, is there anyway I can format the harddrive back to windows format? Or even make it show up in wbfs manager? My wii reads the harddrive fine as of right now, but not my computer.

2. DPyro

Member DPyro GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Open Computer Management and assign a drive letter to the WBFS partition.

3. G2K

Member G2K GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I had the exact same problem for a bit, and it somehow fixed itself. What I did until them was... well first, do you have a wireless internet adapter? Or are you connected directly to the internet?

4. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    If you format your partition with the Wii, windows doesn't recognize the partition as "raw" but as empty.
    Being empty, you can't assign a letter to it, and so the manager can't see it.

You need to reformat and/or recreate the partition with windows disk manager first, and assign it a letter.
    Then use wbfs_win or a wbfs gui to format it to wbfs.
    It will be detected on the Wii correctly, and windows will keep it in raw format and will reassign the letter when you connect it.

I don't know why you got an error when formating.
    I'm using PixM wbfs Gui (it doesn't require .net framework and works great for me)

5. DPyro

Canada
    That's wrong, you can assign a letter cause I've done it. The only thing is, windows doesn't recognize the partition ID so it will always ask you to format it when you connect it.

6. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    Mine was detected as empty, and I couldn't assign a letter. Maybe I don't have the same version (XP pro SP2)
    in any case, he will have to use the disk manager to assign a letter.

7. flame6753
    OP

United States
    thanks for the quick replies guys, I think i understand now. Dpyro, I'm using windows 7, do you know where I'd go about doing that?

8. flame6753
    OP

United States
    nvm, i found out how to get to disk management. You guys are the best. For anyone else who comes across this thread, if you are using Windows 7 or vista and cna't figure out how to get to disk managemtn, just type in diskmgmt.msc into the search for file or programs command option.

9. DPyro

Canada
    You could just right click computer and click manage and disk management shows up under there.