Homebrew HDD Limitations?

serenade.63

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
About to purchase a 3 TB external HDD and a WODE. So my question is, are there any known issues with external hard drives that require external power? Or is it completely safe?

serenade.63

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The thing is I checked the compatibility list and the brand has good compatibility (western digital) but it looks like no one has tested their 3 TB drives.

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
The Wii has absolutely no problems with drives that require external power. In fact, they're highly recommended.

As for the 3TB limit, I thought I read something that said they worked fine. Being that 64-bit systems support 3TB and the Wii is 128-bit, I'd have to trust my memory and instincts on this one.

...But that's with stuff like Configurable USB Loader. I don't know of one person who has tested 3TB drives with a WODE.

My advice: Go 2TB. That's already frikkin' huge, and you won't have to worry about compatibility.
Not to mention the better price/capacity ratio...

PPSainity

Blinded by Science
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Fishaman P said:
The Wii has absolutely no problems with drives that require external power. In fact, they're highly recommended.

As for the 3TB limit, I thought I read something that said they worked fine. Being that 64-bit systems support 3TB and the Wii is 128-bit, I'd have to trust my memory and instincts on this one.

...But that's with stuff like Configurable USB Loader. I don't know of one person who has tested 3TB drives with a WODE.

My advice: Go 2TB. That's already frikkin' huge, and you won't have to worry about compatibility.
Not to mention the better price/capacity ratio...
Just to correct you there, Fishaman P, the Wii's PPC Processor, Broadway, is 32-bit, not 128-bit. The Wii's GPU, Hollywood is a mixed bag, but it can be considered 32-Bit as well as it only has 32-Bit registers and the internal Arm9 Core, Starlet, is only 32-Bit.

Regardless, I also recommend using a 1-2TB drive over a 3TB drive since it is just for the Wii. 3TB drives do work with certain cIOS, formats, and USB loaders but the details varies on a loader to loader basis. Just reference the thread of your USB game loader of choice for those details.

-[]D

PPSainity

Blinded by Science
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
wiisixtyfour said:
Since he's using a WODE, isn't cIOS/USB loader stuff irrelevant?
You're right, he's using a WODE, I missed that....I do not have sufficient knowledge of the WODE, but there are many tidbits on the web about the WODE and 3TB drives. Most of the tidbits leads me to believe a single 3TB partition will not work, but two partitions like 1TB/2TB do.

-[]D

serenade.63

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it looks like most of the problems with 3TB drives are caused because they are usb 3.0 with backwards compatibility to usb 2.0. But the drive im purchasing is designed only for usb 2.0. Does anyone know if this makes a difference?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: lol, Okies. Family graveyard is that way 👉