HD WD Passport Essentials USB 3.0

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by marmox, Jul 13, 2011.

Jul 13, 2011
  1. marmox
    OP

Newcomer marmox Newbie

Chile
    I just recently bought an HD WD Passport Essentials USB 3.0 WDBACY5000 ASL (i think i wrote it down right) and I wanted to know if someone has had experience working with one like this its 500gb hd... so please if someone knows something about it's compatiblity I would be very greatful I'm very new on the "Wii" stuff so please a little help for a newbie... also if someone really knows about it, would you care to leave like a simple guide to make it work for example: how to partion it and load the Isos on it...

2. Spongeroberto

Member Spongeroberto GBAtemp Regular

Bhutan
    There is a compatibility list .

According to that page your drive can work but you'll need to change some things:

3. marmox
    OP

Newcomer marmox Newbie

Chile
    thank you very much [​IMG] i thought that only worked for the WDBAAA5000AD1 but now I confirm they are the same... thanks again [​IMG]

4. obcd

Member obcd GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Belgium
    I am afraid I have to temper your enthousiasm a little.
    I bought 2 of those drives and never managed to get them working properly on the wii.
    As they come with the new usb 3.0 interface, the firmware upgrades don't work.
    They somehow have a hidden partition with the drivers and utility software that can't be removed.
    If you connect them to a pc the first time, it will request for the install of a driver, which proves they are not 100% usb mass storage device compatible.

Other people already told me at it works fine for them. Maybe compatibility got better as cios ehci code is being improved all the time. I can't remember anymore what worked and what didn't. (You have homebrew using ios 58 with nintendo's original ehci code.
    You have 2 flavours of ciosses (Waninkoko and Hermes) with both their own ehci driver code and you have older channel forwarders still using ios 37 or 61 without ehci code, and you have uneek+di using ehci as well.)

I already read other articles as well claiming that the wii doesn't like the external disks usb 3.0 interface.

Maybe I should give them another try to see if things already work better now.

5. dexter222

Member dexter222 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I've used both Seagate GoFlex and Western Digital My Book Essential drives with USB 3.0 with absolutely NO problems - they work great. I use d2x v6 cIOS as they are also 4k sector size drives.

There were no mysterious hidden partitions, simply driver software and an autorun to install the software, which I promptly deleted. There seems to be no problem using USB 3.0 drives on the Wii as it is fully USB 2.0 backwards compatible. If you run into problems it's doubtful it's because of the USB 3.0 interface.

The speed advantages of using USB 3.0 on the PC are tremendous, especially when transferring a large number of games.

6. kaitodesign

Newcomer kaitodesign Newbie

Italy
    I have this HDD (WD Passport Essentials USB 3.0) and casually I founded a working method; delete the old partition with EAESUS, then create a new partition (use those settings). (don't forget to apply those changes). Next format your HDD with this program and them format with WBFS Manager (i used the 3.0 version and USB Loader GX). I hope it can helps you. :D
    Sorry for my bad english, I'm italian. ^^'

7. the_randomizer

Member the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States
    WBFS is useless for most homebrew programs, but whatever.