HD RETOVISION SELECTOR FOR MULTIPLE CONSOLES

peke

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Hi, i bought a HD retrovision genesis cable, it´s excelent, but I have to many consoles and I´m afraid that conecting /dissconecting the cable so much will damage the cable, so I want to hook up all.

I want to do a genesis model 2 selector, 1 output (which conect to the retrovision cable), and 4 inputs (sega saturn, master system, sega genesis, pc-engine).

if it works I want to do the same with the hd retrovision snes cable.

Can anyone help me or know if its possible?

thanks

ezequiel

Attachments

• 2017_SS_June_HDRETROVISION_Nick1379_1024x1024.JPG
    2017_SS_June_HDRETROVISION_Nick1379_1024x1024.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 248

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hi, i bought a HD retrovision genesis cable, it´s excelent, but I have to many consoles and I´m afraid that conecting /dissconecting the cable so much will damage the cable, so I want to hook up all.

I want to do a genesis model 2 selector, 1 output (which conect to the retrovision cable), and 4 inputs (sega saturn, master system, sega genesis, pc-engine).

if it works I want to do the same with the hd retrovision snes cable.

Can anyone help me or know if its possible?

thanks

ezequiel
I don't think you'd find a switch that uses that type of connector so you'd probably have to DIY it. It's certainly possible though.

peke

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I don't think you'd find a switch that uses that type of connector so you'd probably have to DIY it. It's certainly possible though.
yes, I know I have to Do it myself, I was thinking maybe some genesis 2 male and female jacks and some cable and a 9 pin selector, ......hope it works and I can find the parts.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
yes, I know I have to Do it myself, I was thinking maybe some genesis 2 male and female jacks and some cable and a 9 pin selector, ......hope it works and I can find the parts.
I'm not sure exactly how composite, SCART etc switches work, but you can probably find some info on it online that would help you greatly. They are normally passive, so I imagine the button/switch physically switches the contacts from one port to the other. That would be the easiest way to do it but also potentially less reliable than an active switch that uses a chip that simply takes input from a set of pins and outputs it to another set of pins depending on what input is selected. The only problem with an active switch is that the chip needs to be fast enough to transmit all the data as it comes in, without causing sync issues, and it needs to be high-resolution enough that the data coming out of it is exactly the same as the data coming in (so it doesn't introduce noise or decrease color depth or anything like that)
So a passive switch is much easier, but they can wear out.

peke

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I'm not sure exactly how composite, SCART etc switches work, but you can probably find some info on it online that would help you greatly. They are normally passive, so I imagine the button/switch physically switches the contacts from one port to the other. That would be the easiest way to do it but also potentially less reliable than an active switch that uses a chip that simply takes input from a set of pins and outputs it to another set of pins depending on what input is selected. The only problem with an active switch is that the chip needs to be fast enough to transmit all the data as it comes in, without causing sync issues, and it needs to be high-resolution enough that the data coming out of it is exactly the same as the data coming in (so it doesn't introduce noise or decrease color depth or anything like that)
To make it easier i was thinking of a vga selector, since vga have more than 9 pins and I allready have it, so I hace to make some genesis 2 to vga cables.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DIY-Male-9...133299&hash=item4675c4e643:g:Xj0AAMXQltxQ7iHf

https://www.ebay.com/itm/9-pin-Mini...268291&hash=item4d6d4b7b03:g:xgsAAOSwPDBaAxeo

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
To make it easier i was thinking of a vga selector, since vga have more than 9 pins and I allready have it, so I hace to make some genesis 2 to vga cables.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DIY-Male-9...133299&hash=item4675c4e643:g:Xj0AAMXQltxQ7iHf

https://www.ebay.com/itm/9-pin-Mini...268291&hash=item4d6d4b7b03:g:xgsAAOSwPDBaAxeo
Better yet, you can get a RS-232 switch. The RS-232 connectors are 9 pin and look similar to a VGA port. You can even find chunky RS-232 plugs that are big enough to house the connector that goes to the console, so you don't need a cable dangling from it.
Getting the connectors that go to the console cheaply might be an issue though. If you can find extension cables that might be the best bet since it would come with both a male and female connector, and you need both (but you only need 1 of one type for the output that the Retrovision cable plugs into)
That is unless you mod the cable to have a RS-232 connector on it and skip the adapter completely.

Edit: This one has 4 inputs: https://www.amazon.com/Printer-ES-T...&qid=1518202790&sr=8-3&keywords=rs-232+switch

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

peke

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Better yet, you can get a RS-232 switch. The RS-232 connectors are 9 pin and look similar to a VGA port. You can even find chunky RS-232 plugs that are big enough to house the connector that goes to the console, so you don't need a cable dangling from it.
Getting the connectors that go to the console cheaply might be an issue though. If you can find extension cables that might be the best bet since it would come with both a male and female connector, and you need both (but you only need 1 of one type for the output that the Retrovision cable plugs into)
That is unless you mod the cable to have a RS-232 connector on it and skip the adapter completely.

Edit: This one has 4 inputs: https://www.amazon.com/Printer-ES-T...&qid=1518202790&sr=8-3&keywords=rs-232+switch
genius, thanks a lot

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: :whip: