HD-DVD is dead

TaMs

Randomizer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
These are pretty old news. blu-ray won at the moment when warner signed out of the hd-dvd network.
And there's like almost 10 million ps3's out there + normal blu-ray players. dunno if there's so many hd-dvd player owners to begin with = hd-dvd's won't sell i assume.

Tweaked

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ugh, i was REALLY REALLY REALLY hoping for HD DVD, and so were most people it seems.

Wouldent be the first time sony faked reports to bolster sales, helll not even the first time in 5 months :[

MaHe

one lazy schmo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Slovenia
I think all the optic media will die in ten years or so ... In fact, the only device I still use them is my XBOX. For music, there's iTunes and torrents, the same for movies (+ Video Marketplace). When I played games on my PC, I downloaded most of them off Steam. I hope the next generation of consoles will drop the optical discs entirely and provide a huge hard-drive (1 TB for example) and the ability to buy and download games through Internet.
smile.gif

WeaponXxX

Too F'in Blonde
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
As its been said...Blu Ray won the battle but still lost the war....just cause the format won doesn't mean it will catch on. It will probably imitate a laser disc....few people will have it until something much better comes along...then again I am quite surprised at the people willing to go "buy" a ps3 over this news.

amptor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
afaik hd-dvd isn't dead but all the blu ray press is making hd look bad.. kinda sad really since hd-dvd is all you need for 1080p and almost nobody's really using bluray or hd-dvd drives in pc's yet. I remember it took a while for dvd-rom to catch on in desktops too since cd-rom was tremendously more popular due to it being the first mainstream optical media.

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
afaik hd-dvd isn't dead but all the blu ray press is making hd look bad.. kinda sad really since hd-dvd is all you need for 1080p and almost nobody's really using bluray or hd-dvd drives in pc's yet. I remember it took a while for dvd-rom to catch on in desktops too since cd-rom was tremendously more popular due to it being the first mainstream optical media.

It's dead. Toshiba is making press announcement today...or 5 P.M. Tuesday, Tokyo time.

---Edit---

http://www.toshiba.co.jp/about/press/2008_02/pr1903.htm

Regiiko

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I see people are worrying about optical media, and thinking it's a groundbreaking 21st century invention where really it should remain in the 20th.

It's good for backups, sure. But who really wants to remember what they put on which DVD/CD?

I'm still sticking with my external HDD & torrent'd movies. I know where my money's going. External HDDs!

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
Well I slept through the whole thing. Probably won't bother switching to Blu-ray for ages anyway; I can't see myself affording a HDTV anytime soon and I don't really care about picture quality enough to bother just yet anyway.

fischju

Rehabilitated Jaywalker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
$400 for a blu-ray player and $35 for a movie, damn.

$100 for an HD DVD player and the movies will soon be in bargain bins for $5-$10. Now is the time to buy HD DVD! The difference in cost between the disks will pay for it.

madmk

Trophies
XP
Country
I think both formats are obsolete. And two of the same kind of thing is even more obsolete. Good riddance. Now terminate Blu Ray please. Overpriced cack.

MC DUI

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I think both formats are obsolete. And two of the same kind of thing is even more obsolete. Good riddance. Now terminate Blu Ray please. Overpriced cack.

Nobody is forcing you to buy HD movies are they, so what harm are they doing by making them available to those that want them...

amptor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I agree, I personally have no use for either format. I just use large hard drives. I didn't really care which one wins or if they both were around, doesn't make a difference at all in my life. I can live without both lol.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
On the subject of region locking and freshly stolen from the doom9 homepage ( http://www.doom9.org/ )

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/05/09/r...o-free-locking/

And yes it is just a rudimentary registry hack.

As for my opinion HD is sales patter at best: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=73993 and people could have got along far easier by just redoing the DVD standards and using something like h264 rather than mpeg2.

For me and those I know it is either DVDs or downloads from here until they die (which I do not imagine will be any time soon and even at full pelt I am still discovering new stuff). With regard to infeasibility of downloads even on my rubbish connection a new TV show is but 15 minutes away and a film negligibly more.

MC DUI

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Downloads are great and all, but if there is a movie that you really like and it has great special effects and surround sound why wouldn't you want to pick it up in high definition so that you can get maximum enjoyment out of it.

I own a few HD-DVDs and BluRays but only on releases that I really enjoy and want to see and hear them in their full glory.

Of course HD movies aren't relevant if you don't have a decent sized HDTV and decent surround sound system.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Had a ton of bugs and often crashed. It even didn't support DOS compatibility with older games. :feelsbadman:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I only grew up with Windows XP because I was lucky.
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    I downloaded XP on dialup when it came out. Overnights for like a week. cuz I couldn't tie up the phone line during the day. It was so awesome and worked so great going from ME to XP.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vga pins were a dick
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I kind of want down a large pizza at 10am then crash out
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Having pizza all day? done it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah pizza hut open at 10:30
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    just buy a stack of pizza and keep the rest you don't need yet frozen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or buy frozen pizza
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I buy the regular kind, not the frozen stuff
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
    i like totinos party pizzas. lol.
    the cracker-like crust is great on those
    My neighbor and I are going to make this next month....
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Tiger crust is great.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm beefing with a neighbor currently each time I ask him for help with something he makes bs excuses then ignores my calls text but seems to randomly speak when I'm done with the project after doing things to help him
    DiGiorno Crispy Pan Pizza tasted pretty dang close to Pizza hut pan pizza, but Im not sure if theyve been discontinued or not. Havent seen them locally for a couple of months now.
    The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.