HD (1080p) CCTV roll out begins in UK - infrared filter, face recog.

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by soulx, Oct 5, 2012.

1. soulx
    OP

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada

Surveillance cams now offer up to 29 megapixels, surpassing many cameras used by professional photographers.

Manufacturer's figures suggest there will be 129,299 HD CCTV cameras in the UK by the end of 2012. The HDCCTV Alliance has predicted that number would rise to over 3.7 million by 2016.

"It's the ability to pick out your face in a crowd from a camera which is probably half a mile away."

He also flagged that research was being carried out to pair the technology with facial recognition software to run captured images against databases of known offenders.

The UK is far from being the only country to utilise the technology. a study by RNCOS suggests the global CCTV market will be worth about $23.5bn (£14bn) a year by the end of 2014.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-19812385

[​IMG]
    (real ad)

1 person likes this.
  2. Blaze163

Member Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

United Kingdom
    Put one in my block of flats, because if that drunken bastard on the landing tries to force my door one more time tonight I'm going to slit his throat.

2 people like this.
  3. Ergo

Member Ergo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    [​IMG][​IMG]

6 people like this.
  4. Rizsparky

Member Rizsparky Saiyan Prince

United Kingdom
    I don't mind, it will make it a lot safer in the UK and potential criminals will be less inclined to commit a crime if they know they are being watched.

5. Clarky

Member Clarky Don't you know who I think I am?

United States
    I doubt a camera would stop anyone, London holds some daft record for a silly amount of cameras already and you still see idiots out pulling off crimes

6. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    Yeah, the reference to 1984 is obvious, but Brave New World? That was a dystopic vision of a hedonistic and shallow society, not a rigidly controlled police state.

It's not really relevant here.

3 people like this.
  7. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    I didn't like this idea. :/

8. dragster215

Member dragster215 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    This changes nothing. My area was messed up before this and it will be messed up after this.

9. Maxternal

Member Maxternal Peanut Gallery Spokesman

Costa Rica
    Nice.
    It will obviously just result in more masked offenders but at least it will make the stupid ones think twice.
    (I unfortunately see the contradiction in that sentence, though.)

10. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Well so far more cameras just leads to more unwatched footage from most of the studies I saw, I am curious to see how well the facial recognition works as well- person tracking is one thing but I have played with some facial recog stuff that needs a good photo to work properly (nice lighting, no mask/beard/scarf/hood all with a proper angle...) not barely 20fps* atop a 5m high pole.

*massively high res, lossless or nearly so from hundreds of cameras.... nice bandwidth issues there.

"It's the ability to pick out your face in a crowd from a camera which is probably half a mile away."
    Although I certainly appreciate a proper CCD surely it is not the CCD but the lens it is attached to. Of course these are the same fools that leave would be confidential info out and about and then say "the cameras of the day" when film has had that resolution (and more) for decades so I do not expect much.

Edit- I just looked at the ad..... phoneboxes still exist? (I say that as a person that does not have a mobile phone either and so could conceivably need one).

1 person likes this.
  11. Santee

Member Santee Jalapeño

United States
    Hopefully these are used to deter crime and not catch people breaking the law harmlessly.

12. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    As much as I like to laugh at the TSA there is the whole those in glass houses thing- http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/08/02/school_snoop/

13. soulx
    OP

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada

Griffiths (2003) found evidence of an initial diffusion of benefits in the control area in the form of a 22% decrease in recorded crime during the first 12 months following the installation of CCTV in the target area. Again, the suggestion was put forward by the author that increased media interest upon installation of the project may have been responsible for this initial effect but, once offenders had worked out where the cameras were, with time, this effect wore off.

http://www.scotland....9/12/03151641/6

CCTV cameras don't do much for preventing crime.

14. shlong

Member shlong in memoriam of gravitas

Italy
    these are for anti-terror not just normal crimes, with automated facial-recognition

15. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    Alas that excuse is wearing pretty thin if it works at all- pretty much every law/agency/ninja hiring policy established under that guise has seen feature creep and law enforcement types abuse it/use it as a justification for all sorts of things.

16. giavol

Member giavol GBAtemp Regular

Portugal
    Since the economy went down we have more and more protests, eventually they will spread to the UK, this is the real reason for hd cameras, crowd control.This is how fascism is enforced in the 21´st century.

17. TehSkull

Member TehSkull Living the life

United States

2 people like this.
  18. Livin in a box

Member Livin in a box Livin' in a cardboard box

United Kingdom
    Nice Illuminati all seeing eyes there on that advert- then again, why suspect anything less...

It's got little to do with crime watching, but more on keeping a watch on the entire population a la 1984, as has already been quoted.

Maybe now they won't get away with Photoshopping CCTV footage to match their stories.