Homebrew Question HBG shop new update and no full ram access

Verin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After updating the HBG shop to version 4.0, I can no longer hold R over a game and have it load into the homebrew menu to get full access to the full ram for emulation/homebrew etc.

Does anyone know whats going on here? Is there a new button combo? I only updated because the 3.0 HBG shop was not working but I would rather have full access to ram for homebrew than the HBG shop IF I had to choose. Thanks in advance, this one has been doing my head in.

Reactions: NoNAND

arianadark

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
here download this and put it in your atmosphere folder in your sd card

Attachments

• loader.zip
    235 bytes · Views: 760

Verin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, thats why I was confused I thought it was a program not the standard ini file from atmosphere. Anyhow, replacing that loader.ini does make the desired menu pop up (full ram access while highlighting a game) but it causes hbg shop/tinfoil to throw an error "The Install environment is corrupt".

Back to square one, it seems you cannot use the HBG shop and have full ram access at the same time. Its forcing me to use "Mercury" and I have to hold R to bring that up instead of L and that does not provide full ram access.

Last edited by Verin,

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ah, thats why I was confused I thought it was a program not the standard ini file from atmosphere. Anyhow, doing replacing that loader.ini does make the desired menu pop (full ram access while highlighting a game) but it causes hbg shop/tinfoil to throw an error "The Install environment is corrupt".

Back to square one, it seems you cannot use the HBG shop and have full ram access at the same time. Its forcing me to use "Mercury" and I have to hold R to bring that up instead of L and that does not provide full ram access.
Oh christ, is @blawar pulling this bullshit again? He's of the belief that "dumb users just want to pirate games and don't need/care about homebrew and should run exactly the software I tell them to to make my own life easier". Fuck that guy and his ego and his shitty drm-laden software.

Verin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh christ, is @blawar pulling this bullshit again? He's of the belief that "dumb users just want to pirate games and don't need/care about homebrew and should run exactly the software I tell them to to make my own life easier". Fuck that guy and his ego and his shitty drm-laden software.

For now I am just going to have to get rid of Tinfoil, I have tried every possible work around I can think of... at the end of the day I would rather have full ram access. I was just hoping to have both.

BASgamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
have you tried holding L. i havent updated it lately but i think its with L so that it doesnt interfere with atmospheres less ram homebrew menu. you can get more with atmosphere i think but you need to edit the config

Verin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
have you tried holding L. i havent updated it lately but i think its with L so that it doesnt interfere with atmospheres less ram homebrew menu. you can get more with atmosphere i think but you need to edit the config

L does not work, it's been switched to R and that forces Mercury to load. No full ram access... you can not use it on games, only the screen shot icon. If anyone has a viable workaround, I would be happy to hear it.

Thanks to everyone for their replys. I think it's pretty absurd to do something like this with Tinfoil.

(Edit: for some reason I replied that L did work, it does not)

Last edited by Verin,

blawar

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
L does not work, it's been switched to R and that forces Mercury to load. No full ram access... you can not use it on games, only the screen shot icon. If anyone has a viable workaround, I would be happy to hear it.

Thanks to everyone for their replys. I think it's pretty absurd to do something like this with Tinfoil.

(Edit: for some reason I replied that L did work, it does not)

Install reinx or sx os, or use goldleaf.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Ah, thats why I was confused I thought it was a program not the standard ini file from atmosphere. Anyhow, replacing that loader.ini does make the desired menu pop up (full ram access while highlighting a game) but it causes hbg shop/tinfoil to throw an error "The Install environment is corrupt".

It does provide full RAM access actually as long as you launch it from a game but what you should do is just put back the hbl.nsp and hbmenu.nro from Atmosphere. hbl.nsp is in the atmosphere folder whereas hbmenu.nro is on the root.

hbmenu.nro is where Mercury is contained and it basically hijacks your HBL. I was puzzled when I saw that it was no longer booting into HBL and promptly changed the files back as Mercury seemed super sketchy and sneaking that in there without telling people is not OK.

hbl.nsp is just a modified or outdated version that allocates the maximum RAM available, if you've seen the Tinfoil changelog you might have noticed him complaining about Atmosphere reducing the available amount of RAM in applet mode to allow the soft keyboard to work in homebrew. There is a setting in one of the Atmosphere inis now to adjust the RAM allocation in applet mode though I'm not sure what it should be set to to achieve the same effect.
Tinfoil "needs" that extra RAM in applet mode or some features might not work correctly, but if you just launch HBL in game mode it doesn't matter and you are just as well off using the stock Atmosphere hbmenu.nro and hbl.nsp like I do.

In fact I don't even use most of the files from the hbgshop release. I grab stock Tinfoil and add the required files from hbgshop (minus anything executable) just in case, you never know when someone might decide to put malware in it. I don't particularly trust anything executable that comes from a warez group.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: gizmomelb

blawar

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It does provide full RAM access actually as long as you launch it from a game but what you should do is just put back the hbl.nsp and hbmenu.nro from Atmosphere. hbl.nsp is in the atmosphere folder whereas hbmenu.nro is on the root.

hbmenu.nro is where Mercury is contained and it basically hijacks your HBL. I was puzzled when I saw that it was no longer booting into HBL and promptly changed the files back as Mercury seemed super sketchy and sneaking that in there without telling people is not OK.

hbl.nsp is just a modified or outdated version that allocates the maximum RAM available, if you've seen the Tinfoil changelog you might have noticed him complaining about Atmosphere reducing the available amount of RAM in applet mode to allow the soft keyboard to work in homebrew. There is a setting in one of the Atmosphere inis now to adjust the RAM allocation in applet mode though I'm not sure what it should be set to to achieve the same effect.
Tinfoil "needs" that extra RAM in applet mode or some features might not work correctly, but if you just launch HBL in game mode it doesn't matter and you are just as well off using the stock Atmosphere hbmenu.nro and hbl.nsp.

All of these memes have been mitigated, it now launches hbmenu by default, however all of the relevant files you listed are now signed and cannot be modified:

holding nothing launches hbmenu
holding L launching mercury
holding ZL launches tinfoil
holding ZR launches nxmtp

use a forwarder if you want full access, title override is one of the dumbest memes ive seen in the scene.

Last edited by blawar,

Verin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks guys, I will try this out. Since I have installed this 4.0 of tonfoil, holding L over a game doesn't do anything... the game just starts.

Verin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Tinfoil "needs" that extra RAM in applet mode or some features might not work correctly, but if you just launch HBL in game mode it doesn't matter and you are just as well off using the stock Atmosphere hbmenu.nro and hbl.nsp like I do.

In fact I don't even use most of the files from the hbgshop release. I grab stock Tinfoil and add the required files from hbgshop (minus anything executable) just in case, you never know when someone might decide to put malware in it. I don't particularly trust anything executable that comes from a warez group.

I tried putting back the two files from Atmosphere (nro on the root and nsp in the atmosphere folder) and if I hold L over a game it still will not override the game and take me to the homebrew menu. My homebrew is crashing because of ram limitations now.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I tried putting back the two files from Atmosphere (nro on the root and nsp in the atmosphere folder) and if I hold L over a game it still will not override the game and take me to the homebrew menu. My homebrew is crashing because of ram limitations now.
Tell that to @blawar, only he knows what might be wrong.

NoNAND

Give me back my legions!
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
use a forwarder if you want full access, title override is one of the dumbest memes ive seen in the scene.
I highly agree to this. Why would one run a homebrew app over an installed app. that's dumb. Forwarders exist and have existed ever since the days of the Wii. For instance we have the PPSSPP standalone beta, the Dev of it is so against forwarders/NSPs. IMHO the game override option is dumb.

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Atmosphere devs seem to be actually using their Switches on Nintendo's network for one. And .nsps of any type are still a fast one-way ticket to bansville.

This is obviously a moot point for anyone using /hbg.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I highly agree to this. Why would one run a homebrew app over an installed app. that's dumb. Forwarders exist and have existed ever since the days of the Wii. For instance we have the PPSSPP standalone beta, the Dev of it is so against forwarders/NSPs. IMHO the game override option is dumb.
Some people don't have an alternative. Those stuck with ipatched switches need to use emuNAND to play online and needless to say nsps are a no go there. You could just not use homebrew, that'd be the safest anyway, but yeah.

Reactions: Verin and NoNAND

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • DTApple
    please let me look cool as well
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtzMUJIofNg