HBC as a wad (just in case)?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by nl255, Apr 15, 2009.

Apr 15, 2009

HBC as a wad (just in case)? by nl255 at 3:36 PM (1,059 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. nl255
    OP

Member nl255 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Does anyone have a wad of the latest homebrew channel, just in case something happens to it after 4.0 is installed? Also, would the normal hbc installer work if you ran it from preloader 0.29 even if you have 4.0 installed?

2. koji2009

Member koji2009 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    If it disappears after installing 4.0, you won't have a way to reinstall it anyways~

3. nl255
    OP

Actually, Channel File Manager works fine when loaded from preloader 0.29.

4. Aurora Wright

Member Aurora Wright GBAtemp Maniac

Italy
    Here it is [​IMG]

5. beegee7730

Banned beegee7730 ITS PAAFEKUTO!

United Kingdom
    I would also like this.

6. koji2009

United States
    Then I'm sure the HBC installer dol will work as well unless I'm very much mistaken.

The exploit that the HBC uses to install itself as a channel hasn't been blocked by nintendo... only the means to load unlicensed code through twilight princess. That's why the source for the HBC was never released, they still don't want that particular exploit out in the wild.

7. Apekop

Member Apekop GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    yes, but you need to install Preloader over the HBC. That being said, Im on 4.0e and my HBC hasnt disappeared.

Getting the HBC in .wad instead of .dol wont help.

8. koji2009

United States
    I'm just confused why the wad would be particularly necessary over the regular installer... If you have preloader, you still have a means to use the regular installer. If you don't have preloader and HBC gets deleted you'd have no way to install it whether it be dol or wad. I'm just wondering if there is something I'm missing in this equation.

Not being sarcastic, geniunely am interested so I know if I need to look into backing up the wad as well.

9. nl255
    OP

I was assuming the HBC installer .dol would not work, either due to the exploit being blocked in IOS60 or just not working from preloader (some homebrew apps won't run from preloader). Even if it would work, having the wad around just in case can't hurt.

10. Flawsdraw

Member Flawsdraw GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    HBC will only become useless if you update to 4.0 and take it away from the channel and put it on SD card, no way to put it back, the HBC will still stay if you update to 4.0 just dont remove it lol

11. koji2009

United States
    Ahh okay. Just making sure myself...

As I said before though, the HBC uses a completely different exploit to install than is currently known outside of Team Twiizers and is therefore still working on system menu 4.0... Only the twilight hack was destroyed with 4.0

12. nl255
    OP

Just wondering, how do you know the exploit still works with IOS60 and 4.0? Have you tried reinstalling the hombrew channel on 4.0, or perhaps another channel that uses the same exploit? I am assuming Nintendo is capable of reverse engineering HBC to discover which exploit it uses in order to patch it.