Razor1993

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi GBA Temp!
nayps3.gif

i saw in youtube many videos of Moddet hbc channels like : Darkbrewchannel or PirateChannel!
OK and i ripped my HBC 1.0.6 to a WAD file with Bluedump and moddet it! i just make it Black!
ok then i installed the black HBC 1.0.6.wad and when i start it it comes an you wehre Scammed picture and after 2 minutes the HBC starts!
i think its becouse i selfripped my HBC did anybody have an HBC 1.0.6 WAD file pls????

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
All HBC wads do that. Scam guides like Homebreware have a tendency to use wads of the HBC to bypass the "Scam Warning" screen that pops up with the Hackmii Installer.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
By your information, something in the coding relative to extracting it as a wad triggers a module to make that screen pop up. There are two key points that you would want to take note of:

1) Something in the 'coding': If you wanted to remove the screen, you would have to remove it from the source code. This requires not only general programming knowledge but also specific to what the homebrew channel source uses. However, this yet poses another problem such that the source code is not available. Which means you would have to reverse engineer (if the process of compiling a code from source into an executable file is engineering, then reverse engineering is taking the executable file and figuring out the source). Such programs and methods to do this is way to difficult to be worth it's time and sometimes even steps into illegal bounds.

2) The second key point is 'triggers': Speculation above mentions that somewhere in the code looks for specific ways and triggers the screen. There simply may be a method to extract the contents of the homebrew channel and not trigger the actual scam screen. However, TT put those screens in there for a reason and trying to bypass it (in many people's perspective) may be an insult for support on doing so will be limited. How you go about doing this may be up to your research since I don't have nearly enough knowledge to approach this.

You're best attempt is to contact developers who have succeeded in doing it and start your research from there.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Zetta_x said:
By your information, something in the coding relative to extracting it as a wad triggers a module to make that screen pop up. There are two key points that you would want to take note of:

1) Something in the 'coding': If you wanted to remove the screen, you would have to remove it from the source code. This requires not only general programming knowledge but also specific to what the homebrew channel source uses. However, this yet poses another problem such that the source code is not available. Which means you would have to reverse engineer (if the process of compiling a code from source into an executable file is engineering, then reverse engineering is taking the executable file and figuring out the source). Such programs and methods to do this is way to difficult to be worth it's time and sometimes even steps into illegal bounds.

2) The second key point is 'triggers': Speculation above mentions that somewhere in the code looks for specific ways and triggers the screen. There simply may be a method to extract the contents of the homebrew channel and not trigger the actual scam screen. However, TT put those screens in there for a reason and trying to bypass it (in many people's perspective) may be an insult for support on doing so will be limited. How you go about doing this may be up to your research since I don't have nearly enough knowledge to approach this.

You're best attempt is to contact developers who have succeeded in doing it and start your research from there.

No one has succeeded in doing it AFAIK. Assuming you mean install a WAD HBC without scam screen. All "custom" HBCs out there are actually just channels with a custom DOL in them that loads HBC. Any with an edited HBC banner are AFAIK illegal. Those with completely custom banners are I think legal.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I think for personal use you can modify it. Did you try to install HBC with the hackmii installer, extract the banner by hand with fstoolbox, and put the modified banner back with fstoolbox?

I would say not the extracting, but the installation by wad is the problem here.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiPower said:
I think for personal use you can modify it. Did you try to install HBC with the hackmii installer, extract the banner by hand with fstoolbox, and put the modified banner back with fstoolbox?

I would say not the extracting, but the installation by wad is the problem here.

That would make sense considering when you extract the wad, the code won't be active and impossible to mark that you have extracted it. I figured he attempted to change the actual homebrew channel and not the actual forwarder + banner.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
WiiPower said:

Yeah for personal use. I'm just saying redistributing WADs containing a slightly modified (e.g. recoloured, images changed slightly etc.) HBC banner is illegal. Doing it for the sake of it and keeping it to yourself is fine. As I believe is creating a completely custom banner with a forwarder DOL. Can't be used by scammers, as you still need a valid HBC install via HackMii Installer for the forwarder to work.

Razor1993

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
OK i saw on the web an moddet HBC called "DarkBrew Channel"
its not an Forwarder its an HBC!!! i wanted to use the Boot.dol but i see its load teh Old HBC 1.3 or something but why is the old HBC mod able and the new one not???

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Razor1993 said:
OK i saw on the web an moddet HBC called "DarkBrew Channel"
its not an Forwarder its an HBC!!! i wanted to use the Boot.dol but i see its load teh Old HBC 1.3 or something but why is the old HBC mod able and the new one not???
Cause Team Twiizers added scam protection. If HBC can be installed as a WAD, scammers can distribute it as a WAD along with a WAD installer, bypassing the HackMii Installer scam warning.

fogbank

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Razor1993 said:
is there not an another wy to bypass the screen??? or a fixed was???

Check the ticket of your WAD. Open it with a hex editor. Go to offset 0x000001BF.

GottaGetSomeBeer = scam warning.
TheMostAwesomest = no scam warning.

The HBC also checks that a value in the TMD matches the console ID, but since you ripped the WAD from the same Wii that you installed it on that shouldn't be a problem.

Riley

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Is there anyway of hiding channels ? If you can then you could just hide the original HBC and put the custom forwarder one in there.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Riley said:
Is there anyway of hiding channels ? If you can then you could just hide the original HBC and put the custom forwarder one in there.

To hide a channel, you need to edit it and pack it as a WAD, which would trigger the scam warning
wink.gif
. And please, don't try too hard to get round the scam protection, it is there for a VERY good reason. TT worked hard on HBC, we don't want some asshole stealing it and selling it.

fogbank

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SifJar said:
To hide a channel, you need to edit it and pack it as a WAD, which would trigger the scam warning
wink.gif

In my experience it depends on what utility is used to pack the WAD. Using ShowMiiWads will result in a GottaGetSomeBeer ticket. Using older bfgr WAD tools will not.

QUOTE(SifJar @ Jun 10 2010, 09:36 AM) And please, don't try too hard to get round the scam protection, it is there for a VERY good reason. TT worked hard on HBC, we don't want some asshole stealing it and selling it.

The TMD check would be much harder to get around than the ticket check. If you pack an HBC wad from your own NAND with the correct value in the ticket you should be able to install it on the same Wii without getting the scam warning. In order to install it on any other Wii you would need to figure out the algorithm used to generate the correct TMD value. Then you would need write an installer that can read the console ID, generate the correct value, and insert the value into the TMD before installing it to the NAND.

I agree that the HBC should not be distributed or sold illegally, but asking people not to try too hard to reverse engineer the scam protection seems hypocritical (no offense). TT seems to encourage people to reverse their Wii exploits. Nothing is "sacred".
smile.gif

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
even if somebody does RE the scam algorithm and create a way to install & distribute a HBC channel that bypasses the scam screen, they still have the "update me or ill bug the shit out of you" to heal with.

Next time there is an update to HBC, people who have installed this HBC will get the message to update. and when they do, they will get the scam screen.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
fogbank said:
SifJar said:
wink.gif

In my experience it depends on what utility is used to pack the WAD. Using ShowMiiWads will result in a GottaGetSomeBeer ticket. Using older bfgr WAD tools will not.

QUOTE(SifJar @ Jun 10 2010, 09:36 AM) And please, don't try too hard to get round the scam protection, it is there for a VERY good reason. TT worked hard on HBC, we don't want some asshole stealing it and selling it.

The TMD check would be much harder to get around than the ticket check. If you pack an HBC wad from your own NAND with the correct value in the ticket you should be able to install it on the same Wii without getting the scam warning. In order to install it on any other Wii you would need to figure out the algorithm used to generate the correct TMD value. Then you would need write an installer that can read the console ID, generate the correct value, and insert the value into the TMD before installing it to the NAND.

I agree that the HBC should not be distributed or sold illegally, but asking people not to try too hard to reverse engineer the scam protection seems hypocritical (no offense). TT seems to encourage people to reverse their Wii exploits. Nothing is "sacred".
smile.gif

For it to be hypocritical, I would have to have reverse engineered something in my time, which I have not (I lack the skill and the motivation to learn) :/

Therefore, you used the wrong word I think. So no offense taken
happy.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart: i am 28 :cry: