HBC 1.0.6.WAD ???

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Razor1993, Jun 2, 2010.

Jun 2, 2010

HBC 1.0.6.WAD ??? by Razor1993 at 10:43 PM (3,698 Views / 0 Likes) 17 replies

1. Razor1993
    OP

Member Razor1993 GBAtemp Regular

Turkey
    Hi GBA Temp! [​IMG]

i saw in youtube many videos of Moddet hbc channels like : Darkbrewchannel or PirateChannel!
    OK and i ripped my HBC 1.0.6 to a WAD file with Bluedump and moddet it! i just make it Black!
    ok then i installed the black HBC 1.0.6.wad and when i start it it comes an you wehre Scammed picture and after 2 minutes the HBC starts!
    i think its becouse i selfripped my HBC did anybody have an HBC 1.0.6 WAD file pls????

2. Krestent

Member Krestent What to post?

United States
    All HBC wads do that. Scam guides like Homebreware have a tendency to use wads of the HBC to bypass the "Scam Warning" screen that pops up with the Hackmii Installer.

3. Razor1993
    OP

Turkey
    is there not an another wy to bypass the screen??? or a fixed was???

4. Zetta_x

Member Zetta_x The Insane Statistician

United States
    By your information, something in the coding relative to extracting it as a wad triggers a module to make that screen pop up. There are two key points that you would want to take note of:

1) Something in the 'coding': If you wanted to remove the screen, you would have to remove it from the source code. This requires not only general programming knowledge but also specific to what the homebrew channel source uses. However, this yet poses another problem such that the source code is not available. Which means you would have to reverse engineer (if the process of compiling a code from source into an executable file is engineering, then reverse engineering is taking the executable file and figuring out the source). Such programs and methods to do this is way to difficult to be worth it's time and sometimes even steps into illegal bounds.

2) The second key point is 'triggers': Speculation above mentions that somewhere in the code looks for specific ways and triggers the screen. There simply may be a method to extract the contents of the homebrew channel and not trigger the actual scam screen. However, TT put those screens in there for a reason and trying to bypass it (in many people's perspective) may be an insult for support on doing so will be limited. How you go about doing this may be up to your research since I don't have nearly enough knowledge to approach this.

You're best attempt is to contact developers who have succeeded in doing it and start your research from there.

5. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    No one has succeeded in doing it AFAIK. Assuming you mean install a WAD HBC without scam screen. All "custom" HBCs out there are actually just channels with a custom DOL in them that loads HBC. Any with an edited HBC banner are AFAIK illegal. Those with completely custom banners are I think legal.

6. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    I think for personal use you can modify it. Did you try to install HBC with the hackmii installer, extract the banner by hand with fstoolbox, and put the modified banner back with fstoolbox?

I would say not the extracting, but the installation by wad is the problem here.

7. Zetta_x

Member Zetta_x The Insane Statistician

United States
    That would make sense considering when you extract the wad, the code won't be active and impossible to mark that you have extracted it. I figured he attempted to change the actual homebrew channel and not the actual forwarder + banner.

8. SifJar

United Kingdom
    Yeah for personal use. I'm just saying redistributing WADs containing a slightly modified (e.g. recoloured, images changed slightly etc.) HBC banner is illegal. Doing it for the sake of it and keeping it to yourself is fine. As I believe is creating a completely custom banner with a forwarder DOL. Can't be used by scammers, as you still need a valid HBC install via HackMii Installer for the forwarder to work.

9. Razor1993
    OP

Turkey
    hmm you say an forwarder for an HBC???
    did anyone have an Forwarder thats boot my HBC 1.0.6???

10. SifJar

United Kingdom
    This may work, I haven't heard a completely definitive answer on it (I made it): http://www.mediafire.com/?mrnmnzaioyo

Bear in mind you should NOT make a forwarder with a modified version of the original HBC banner and distribute. Keep it for personal use or make a completely custom banner.

11. Razor1993
    OP

Turkey
    OK i saw on the web an moddet HBC called "DarkBrew Channel"
    its not an Forwarder its an HBC!!! i wanted to use the Boot.dol but i see its load teh Old HBC 1.3 or something but why is the old HBC mod able and the new one not???

12. SifJar

United Kingdom
    Cause Team Twiizers added scam protection. If HBC can be installed as a WAD, scammers can distribute it as a WAD along with a WAD installer, bypassing the HackMii Installer scam warning.

13. fogbank

Member fogbank GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Check the ticket of your WAD. Open it with a hex editor. Go to offset 0x000001BF.

GottaGetSomeBeer = scam warning.
    TheMostAwesomest = no scam warning.

The HBC also checks that a value in the TMD matches the console ID, but since you ripped the WAD from the same Wii that you installed it on that shouldn't be a problem.

14. Riley

Member Riley GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    Is there anyway of hiding channels ? If you can then you could just hide the original HBC and put the custom forwarder one in there.

15. SifJar

United Kingdom
    To hide a channel, you need to edit it and pack it as a WAD, which would trigger the scam warning [​IMG]. And please, don't try too hard to get round the scam protection, it is there for a VERY good reason. TT worked hard on HBC, we don't want some asshole stealing it and selling it.

16. fogbank

Member fogbank GBAtemp Fan

United States
    The TMD check would be much harder to get around than the ticket check. If you pack an HBC wad from your own NAND with the correct value in the ticket you should be able to install it on the same Wii without getting the scam warning. In order to install it on any other Wii you would need to figure out the algorithm used to generate the correct TMD value. Then you would need write an installer that can read the console ID, generate the correct value, and insert the value into the TMD before installing it to the NAND.

I agree that the HBC should not be distributed or sold illegally, but asking people not to try too hard to reverse engineer the scam protection seems hypocritical (no offense). TT seems to encourage people to reverse their Wii exploits. Nothing is "sacred". [​IMG]

17. giantpune

Member giantpune GBAtemp Addict

United States
    even if somebody does RE the scam algorithm and create a way to install & distribute a HBC channel that bypasses the scam screen, they still have the "update me or ill bug the shit out of you" to heal with.

Next time there is an update to HBC, people who have installed this HBC will get the message to update. and when they do, they will get the scam screen.

18. SifJar

United Kingdom
    For it to be hypocritical, I would have to have reverse engineered something in my time, which I have not (I lack the skill and the motivation to learn) :/

Therefore, you used the wrong word I think. So no offense taken [​IMG]