Not open for further replies.

Hayato213

Newcomer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don't necessarily void the warranty (the onus is generally on the company denying the warranty to prove your actions contributed to it), though most companies will try to tell you it does even if that is technically not the law.

That said as the OP did not include "or a place to attach a transistor to turn on devices on always powered rails" I would agree with the general sentiment. There are also devices that will sit on the power in and when that is drawing so many (milli)amps will in turn switch on others.

As it stands. I don't think we have seen a service manual and nobody has really gone around and probed points or drawn up a diagram/removed components and taken pictures. The usual suspects for somewhere to borrow some power from are
1) Directly after regulation. Or maybe before if you want to provide your own regulation and/or noise smoothing, and also help dodge any regulation that is always/already at the limit in the base device.
2) Anything designed to handle noisy electromechanicals with potential for stall and inrush issues. Less common these days but optical drives (motors and sometimes linear actuators), cooling fans and maybe hard drives (though internal solid state does change the game a bit there)
3) Something that the user themselves might overload (while it might say 5V500mA for some USB stuff then often it is more, though also often it is not and drawing too much more might drag down the voltage and/or burn something out).

Anything extra tends to come from anything designed over spec or will be unused -- if a company is doing deals on transformers with two 5V coils of significant current capacity then I might have an isolated one do something small with device management. Doubt Sony did this though or had some high capacity transformers left over from PS4 production or some failed whatever else it is they do but I have been surprised in the past. Unused... how many N64s do you think used the N64DD and expansion stuff on the bottom? Is there something like this for the PS5? Doubtful from what I have seen as most companies seemed to have just about learned about expansion devices, or have shuffled that over to peripherals.

I am not sure what you want 5V and 12V for, though usual guesses are audio amp, fancy LEDs, not having to externally power an external hard drive and extra cooling of some form. Some of those do have their own concerns additionally to just mere current and voltage delivery -- don't be putting some noisy fan on your nice audio circuit for instance.

If he does a full teardown he will void his warranty, says all you want but Sony will refuse to service it if he does that.

Original thread:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/question-need-voltage-from-motherboard.588437/#post-9473080

Last edited by Hayato213,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If he does a full teardown he will void his warranty, says all you want but Sony will refuse to service it if he does that.
There are companies being taken to task over refusals in such scenarios, and movement from various governmental regulators saying actually pack it in with that stuff.
https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/7/2...-report-nixing-the-fix-smartphones-automakers
Most concerned with cars and phones right now, and if you did have to take it to court then the fees would probably eat anything even vaguely resembling the profit but I note it anyway.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Hayato213

Newcomer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are companies being taken to task over refusals in such scenarios, and movement from various governmental regulators saying actually pack it in with that stuff.
https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/7/2...-report-nixing-the-fix-smartphones-automakers
Most concerned with cars and phones right now, and if you did have to take it to court then the fees would probably eat anything even vaguely resembling the profit but I note it anyway.

That article is on mobile and car nothing related to Sony PS5, it is simple if he take it apart he void his warranty. It even stated in Sony teardown video it void warranty, the ftc can says all they wants, if Sony refuse to service, they refuse to service. Beside him messing with the motherboard he voids his right to the warranty.

https://www.dualshockers.com/ps5-teardown-video-featuring-yasuhiro-ootori/

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That article is on mobile and car nothing related to Sony PS5, it is simple if he take it apart he void his warranty. It even stated in Sony teardown video it void warranty, the ftc can says all they wants, if Sony refuse to service, they refuse to service. Beside him messing with the motherboard he voids his right to the warranty.

https://www.dualshockers.com/ps5-teardown-video-featuring-yasuhiro-ootori/

Game consoles might be magical different devices according to the DMCA exemptions and tax import laws but the warranty stuff is the result of laws that have technically been in place for decades (magnuson moss warranty act being 1975) and the FTC is the government body that would issue fines and get the ball rolling for prosecutions for non compliance.

As far as Sony video... is that the same as believing Nintendo when they tried to tell me importing games was bad and could be illegal?

Hayato213

Newcomer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Game consoles might be magical different devices according to the DMCA exemptions and tax import laws but the warranty stuff is the result of laws that have technically been in place for decades (magnuson moss warranty act being 1975) and the FTC is the government body that would issue fines and get the ball rolling for prosecutions for non compliance.

As far as Sony video... is that the same as believing Nintendo when they tried to tell me importing games was bad and could be illegal?

It ain't non-compliance if OP open it up and solder wires to it, that voiding the warranty, it is different if you didn't do anything and Sony refuse to services. As for the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, it only requires manufacturers to provide details information about the warranty coverage, if he tinker with the mainboard obviously he void his right to the warranty, also why you bring Nintendo into this, what does importing has to do with warranty?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It ain't non-compliance if OP open it up and solder wires to it, that voiding the warranty, it is different if you didn't do anything and Sony refuse to services. As for the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, it only requires manufacturers to provide details information about the warranty coverage, if he tinker with the mainboard obviously he void his right to the warranty, also why you bring Nintendo into this, what does importing has to do with warranty?
Your actions have to be shown to cause the fault to void the warranty. Legally speaking if they can show that then they can saw hahaha as they run away. Practically most don't and rely on merely speaking to a lawyer for a few hours probably costing more than a new console, though that might be changing. Example wise I can put all the nitrous in my car that I want, and if they can show that blew the engine up then so be it, if however the radio fails they are not allows to look at my nitrous bottle and say get lost.

On bringing in Nintendo. Generally one does not give as much credence to a party with skin and money directly in the game. Wolf says lambs consider themselves edible and all that.

Hayato213

Newcomer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your actions have to be shown to cause the fault to void the warranty. Legally speaking if they can show that then they can saw hahaha as they run away. Practically most don't and rely on merely speaking to a lawyer for a few hours probably costing more than a new console, though that might be changing. Example wise I can put all the nitrous in my car that I want, and if they can show that blew the engine up then so be it, if however the radio fails they are not allows to look at my nitrous bottle and say get lost.

On bringing in Nintendo. Generally one does not give as much credence to a party with skin and money directly in the game. Wolf says lambs consider themselves edible and all that.

more like you are not that knowledgeable, even though you have 33k post, you act like you are an expert in all things , no offense you ain't man. This is what another user said about you.

Capture.PNG

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
more like you are not that knowledgeable, even though you have 33k post, you act like you are an expert in all things , no offense you ain't man. This is what another user said about you.

View attachment 262930
Did I get my own hate thread? Where and can I get I link? I have been waiting years for that one. All the others on the staff here seem to have managed it before me despite my best efforts and it means I don't get to sit at the cool kids table at the end of year parties.

Also yes I enjoy a debate, I do try to offer expert opinions on things I have a measure of expertise in and would say I avoid things I am not some measure of versed in. I struggle to get to that being a bad thing to have on a forum.

This is all besides the point though for the subject at hand. The company gets to show cause for voiding a warranty, though for many years they have potentially illegally avoided it knowing that filing a lawsuit is a more expensive endeavour than either sourcing a third party repair, buying a new device or buying a second hand device. This might well be changing though as the FTC looks to have woken up and might be winding up for a fight (though how useful that might be remains open for debate as the government is very much a blunt instrument).

Hayato213

Newcomer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did I get my own hate thread? Where and can I get I link? I have been waiting years for that one. All the others on the staff here seem to have managed it before me despite my best efforts and it means I don't get to sit at the cool kids table at the end of year parties.

Also yes I enjoy a debate, I do try to offer expert opinions on things I have a measure of expertise in and would say I avoid things I am not some measure of versed in. I struggle to get to that being a bad thing to have on a forum.

This is all besides the point though for the subject at hand. The company gets to show cause for voiding a warranty, though for many years they have potentially illegally avoided it knowing that filing a lawsuit is a more expensive endeavour than either sourcing a third party repair, buying a new device or buying a second hand device. This might well be changing though as the FTC looks to have woken up and might be winding up for a fight (though how useful that might be remains open for debate as the government is very much a blunt instrument).

Stop writing a damn long essay, no one wants to read it, point given you ain't that knowledgeable, first I didn't want to believe what my friend said about you, man I have to agree with him, you might be good at argument but you ain't an expert in all thing. I agree with him on what he said about you man.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Stop writing a damn long essay, no one wants to read it, point given you ain't that knowledgeable, first I didn't want to believe what my friend said about you, man I have to agree with him, you might be good at argument but you ain't an expert in all thing. I agree with him on what he said about you man.

So no link?
Hope they still accept this as evidence in the end of year flames contest.

Anyway still not sure what you are trying to say or how it applies to me.

Hayato213

Newcomer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So no link?
Hope they still accept this as evidence in the end of year flames contest.

Anyway still not sure what you are trying to say or how it applies to me.

It came from a PM, not a thread so no link or telling you who exactly it is, I am not going to rat my friend out, I do have to agree with him/her about what they said about you I mean you are good at argument, but you ain't an expert in all areas even though you pretend you are. At first, I had no opinion about what he/she said but now I do have to agree with the part you are good at arguing and not an expert on everything that you act like you are.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@FAST6191 why you move/create another thread lol?

It came from a PM, not a thread so no link or telling you who exactly it is, I am not going to rat my friend out, I do have to agree with him/her about what they said about you I mean you are good at argument, but you ain't an expert in all areas even though you pretend you are. At first, I had no opinion about what he/she said but I do have to agree with the part you are good at arguing and not an expert on everything that you act like you are.
Thought I had better split it as it was massively off topic from the opening post (dude only wanted some help finding points for a mod, not us having a debate on the law or my apparent failings), can copy some things back if you think it necessary.

Anyway I was not fishing for a name, though do send my thanks I guess; glad to know I can get some irrational dislike as I was feeling a little bit left out from the others on the staff which have long had one or more of their own. Though I am curious now if I ever visited psx-place (think I have heard of it but never been linked there or arrived there from a search) if I would get along with the Berion character mentioned.

Do I pretend to be an expert in all areas? I would maintain I generally stay in my areas of some flavour of expertise -- you tend not to find me in the music composition, most post 2010 anime appreciation, football discussion, kpop appreciation, pokemon hacking tools, German language homework, good 3ds games or similar threads for a reason (though in the case of the 3ds one that is because such things don't exist). These particular forums align pretty well with a lot of my areas of interest and at least things I reckon I can at least competently navigate (repair and hacking/modification of electronics, mechanical devices, games and history and law interacting with all of those) which allows me to reply in a lot of things around here if I have the time and inclination. I can equally quite happily state the more I ever learn the more I find there is to know about the world and areas I already know (the original thread this branched from having my opening reply being a variation on the theme of "I don't know specifics, but here is how it generally works and how I would find out if I was tasked with doing so" which makes this whole aside rather amusing) and more generally "The Last Man Who Knew Everything" died in the early 1800s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

eof

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: :rofl2: :rofl2: