Hacking Haxchi-coldboot - autobooting Haxchi installer

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
Just wanted to mention this is an excellent app @::Phoenix:: and a great step for others to boot coldboothax and it does take a lot of hassle out of keep pressing to get into CFW. I wanted to say some might need to install the coldboot twice on there system menu/homebrew launcher, once in Systemnand and then run it again by clicking on cfw-booter to get into CFW-coldboot to actually get the config.txt to install properly as coldboot fw.img booting as a default. You might find on the first boot up you will still default back to the homebrew launcher menu, that's if your still using an old copy of config.txt file as default homebrew launcher, if this is your first config.txt it should not happen, it should install first time from system menu/homebrew launcher. I have not actually tested this myself I already have done it a while back but it seems quite straight forward as long as you follow instructions, yes I like it I can see the simplicity in it!

I suggest also use cfw- coldboot fw.img, not redNAND or CFW fw.imgs. It does everything the other two do and better for coldboothax and you could always swap fw.imgs on your sd card, if you really wanted to after install they should all work the same way.

Last edited by Reecey,

kidasquid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To prevent people holding you responsible for bricks, which you most certainly are NOT responsible for, you should set a 'recovery' key config that is no configurable by text, something like l+r+a+b+x+y, that always boots homebrew menu from the SD card on boot, or something like '/recovery.elf' from the root of the sd, so you can put anything there to fix it.

Last edited by kidasquid,
Reactions: DocAmes1980

Lumince

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cool addition to the community :D I still probably will avoid this entirely... Using Haxchi on it own its good enough for me :D

::Phoenix::

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
To prevent people holding you responsible for bricks, which you most certainly are NOT responsible for, you should set a 'recovery' key config that is no configurable by text, something like l+r+a+b+x+y, that always boots homebrew menu from the SD card on boot, recovery.elf from the root of the sd, so you can put anything there to fix it.
This is something I wanted to do and propose as a pull request on FIX's fork.
Haxchi already has a fallback to HBL, but only when it does not find any valid key mapping, that is, there is no <button>= in the txt, where<button> is a valid button key. But there is a subtle case when there is a valid <button>= entry but the path on the right is wrong and unrecoverable, like wiiu//apps/.... Haxchi will regnize at least a valid button mapping, and will always try to run the associated path when pushing the button, but will fail. In this case, the fallback to HBL will never have a chance to work.

Would you please test this modification for me? I am not at home right know, you don't need to install coldboothax, but just reinstall haxchi and see if the button configuration works.

Last edited by ::Phoenix::,
Reactions: tomazzzi

kidasquid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is something I wanted to do and propose as a pull request on FIX's fork.
Haxchi already has a fallback to HBL, but only when it does not find any valid key mapping, that is, there is no <button>= in the txt, where<button> is a valid button key. But there is a subtle case when there is a valid <button>= entry but the path on the right is wrong and unrecoverable, like wiiu//apps/.... Haxchi will regnize at least a valid button mapping, and will always try to run the associated path when pushing the button, but will fail. In this case, the fallback to HBL will never have a chance to work.

Would you please test this modification for me? I am not at home right know, you don't need to install coldboothax, but just reinstall haxchi and see if the button configuration works.
8 hours from being home as well, but I'll give it a shot when home.

tatundria

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I installed coldboothax over haxchi and now everytime I start the console I have an infinite loop Wii U Menu - IosU Hax. How can I fix this? I can still access homebrew channel by pressing A...

::Phoenix::

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I installed coldboothax over haxchi and now everytime I start the console I have an infinite loop Wii U Menu - IosU Hax. How can I fix this? I can still access homebrew channel by pressing A...
As I stated thousands of times, you need to use a fw.img compiled with make cfw-coldboot. This is the only fw.img which works with coldboothax. Compile that version and put it in your sd card and everything will be working.

DanTheMan827

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Isn't formatting, also formatting the slc partition?
Hmm... possibly but then wouldn't that delete the system.xml altogether?

I certainly don't want to be the one to test that theory...

Maybe a note at least saying that formatting without uninstalling may brick (unless someone tests it and can confirm or not)

Last edited by DanTheMan827,

kidasquid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm... possibly but then wouldn't that delete the system.xml altogether?

I certainly don't want to be the one to test that theory...

Maybe a note at least saying that formatting without uninstalling may brick (unless someone tests it and can confirm or not)
Maybe "Format

From the OP:

HOW TO UNINSTALL COLDBOOTHAX
As for now, the only way of uninstalling it is to access storage_slc/config/ via ftpiiu_everyywhere, download syshax.xml, rename it to system.xml and reupload it,
replacing the existing system.xml
An uninstaller is in the works...

iAqua

Trophies
Country
United Kingdom
Not as for now, it needs to be sure the backup syshax.XML is safe. I can let it get the menu id from somewhere else and remove the need to check. But for now, this is how it works.

Mind that this is just a very simple and basic installer. For something more complete, I suggest waiting for FIX94's solution of coldboothax.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Yeah, I read your comments, it sound great! Looking forward on a better coldboothax solution! :)
I've had it installed for a while now, i'm just asking.

Xyphoseos

Hack or no games
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Help me ! I reboot and reboot all time the fw.img ....
I have access only at the homebrew launcher I can't access to my home menu... !
!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Xyphoseos,

ItsKipz

l33t hax0r
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Help me ! I reboot and reboot all time the fw.img ....
I have access only at the homebrew launcher
!!!!!!!!
As I stated thousands of times, you need to use a fw.img compiled with make cfw-coldboot. This is the only fw.img which works with coldboothax. Compile that version and put it in your sd card and everything will be working.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."