Having trouble with my Trinity CR4 mod, can not get Xell to boot.

sarahAndromeda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello! So I have never modded an xbox so I am a total noob.

So we have a Slim Trinity Xbox 360. I couldn't find any of the old chips to use with oblivioncth's Xbox 360 Ultimate Exploit Guide but I was able to find a CR4.
So now I have :
-CR4 XL
-JR Programmer 2
-QSB Trinity V-3

We got all the wires soldered and got JR Programmer on my computer to work with the proper drivers. I have the JR Progammer with Extras that has new support for RGH3 (im not using that just wanted to add that because thats the version of JRP that I have).

We did realize initially we forgot to solder the QSB on (as I said, total noob, I don't know how I expected it to get power without making connections) so we did that and got the CR4 to work up until the Xell boot. I can attach some photos of what it looks like now. Now when everything is hooked up to the computer the red light on the JRP and the CR4 are on and solid.

Now is the part where we are stuck. Honestly, I have no idea what is going on with the nand reading and dumping, I just don't know how the Xbox system runs so I don't understand how the mods actually work only how to do them in theory. I've found a couple tutorials and got up to getting Xell to boot to get the CPU. This is what I get reading the nand.

Code:
Version: 10
Flash Config: 0x00023010
Jasper 16MB, Trinity
CB Version: 9188

Reading Nand to C:\Users\henlo\Downloads\J-Runner with Extras\output\nanddump1.bin
Read Successful! Time Elapsed: 3:27

Initializing nanddump1.bin, please wait...
Header is wrong
Trinity
Nand Initialization Finished

Reading Nand to C:\Users\henlo\Downloads\J-Runner with Extras\output\nanddump2.bin

Comparing...
Nands are the same

I was able to successfully read the nands and confirm that they are the same.

Code:
ECC created

Writing glitch.ecc to Nand
Write Successful! Time Elapsed: 0:19

Then I was able to create and write the ecc file successfully. Now is the part I am not sure about. The tutorial I started with said at this point, to disconnect programmer from the computer and disconnect power. Then plug in an Ethernet, hdmi, and power. Turn on the console and Xell should boot after 2 or 3 debug flashes. For me, the debug on the CR4 forever flashes and xell never loads.

During troubleshooting, I kept seeing stuff about timing files. Not sure what that is but the JRP version I am using has a button for "Program Timing File" but no matter the settings I use, it says

Code:
Programming Glitch Chip
USB XSVF Player Initialized
Xilinx Device ..... [NOT DETECTED]

So as a noob, I have no idea what I'm trying to even do here to troubleshoot more. Am I supposed to be writing a timing file? What do I need to do to get the chip to be detected. It seems like its all working but I'm not sure.

I also kept seeing stuff about the ACE chip? I don't need that to mod with the CR4 right? I already have the CR4 installed so I'd like to stick with that.

I just can't find any info specifically about a Trinity mod with a CR4 and QSB. Everything I can find is either ACE chip, or CR4 without the QSB. Maybe the QSB isn't soldered all the way?
Any help is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• PXL_20220130_030211286.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220130_030211286.MP.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 86
  • PXL_20220130_032151469.jpg
    PXL_20220130_032151469.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 101
Reactions: Donnie-Burger

Donnie-Burger

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Hello! So I have never modded an xbox so I am a total noob.

So we have a Slim Trinity Xbox 360. I couldn't find any of the old chips to use with oblivioncth's Xbox 360 Ultimate Exploit Guide but I was able to find a CR4.
So now I have :
-CR4 XL
-JR Programmer 2
-QSB Trinity V-3

We got all the wires soldered and got JR Programmer on my computer to work with the proper drivers. I have the JR Progammer with Extras that has new support for RGH3 (im not using that just wanted to add that because thats the version of JRP that I have).

We did realize initially we forgot to solder the QSB on (as I said, total noob, I don't know how I expected it to get power without making connections) so we did that and got the CR4 to work up until the Xell boot. I can attach some photos of what it looks like now. Now when everything is hooked up to the computer the red light on the JRP and the CR4 are on and solid.

Now is the part where we are stuck. Honestly, I have no idea what is going on with the nand reading and dumping, I just don't know how the Xbox system runs so I don't understand how the mods actually work only how to do them in theory. I've found a couple tutorials and got up to getting Xell to boot to get the CPU. This is what I get reading the nand.

Code:
Jasper 16MB, Trinity
CB Version: 9188

Reading Nand to C:\Users\henlo\Downloads\J-Runner with Extras\output\nanddump1.bin

Initializing nanddump1.bin, please wait...
Header is wrong
Trinity
Nand Initialization Finished

Reading Nand to C:\Users\henlo\Downloads\J-Runner with Extras\output\nanddump2.bin

Comparing...
Nands are the same

I was able to successfully read the nands and confirm that they are the same.

Code:
ECC created

Writing glitch.ecc to Nand
Write Successful! Time Elapsed: 0:19

Then I was able to create and write the ecc file successfully. Now is the part I am not sure about. The tutorial I started with said at this point, to disconnect programmer from the computer and disconnect power. Then plug in an Ethernet, hdmi, and power. Turn on the console and Xell should boot after 2 or 3 debug flashes. For me, the debug on the CR4 forever flashes and xell never loads.

During troubleshooting, I kept seeing stuff about timing files. Not sure what that is but the JRP version I am using has a button for "Program Timing File" but no matter the settings I use, it says

Code:
Programming Glitch Chip
USB XSVF Player Initialized
Xilinx Device ..... [NOT DETECTED]

So as a noob, I have no idea what I'm trying to even do here to troubleshoot more. Am I supposed to be writing a timing file? What do I need to do to get the chip to be detected. It seems like its all working but I'm not sure.

I also kept seeing stuff about the ACE chip? I don't need that to mod with the CR4 right? I already have the CR4 installed so I'd like to stick with that.

I just can't find any info specifically about a Trinity mod with a CR4 and QSB. Everything I can find is either ACE chip, or CR4 without the QSB. Maybe the QSB isn't soldered all the way?
Any help is greatly appreciated!
Ditch the CR and: QSB area clean up the solder splash and possible bridging.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/rgh3-chipless-glitching.602237/

Reactions: r5xscn

sarahAndromeda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ditch the CR and: QSB area clean up the solder splash and possible bridging.

I was hoping to still use the chip since I bought it but the RGH 3 method does seem pretty solid. Is there any tutorials on where to solder and how to set it up on the programmer? I'm down to try it but the video didn't have quite enough info for me to feel comfortable doing it that way.

Donnie-Burger

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States

r5xscn

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I was hoping to still use the chip since I bought it but the RGH 3 method does seem pretty solid. Is there any tutorials on where to solder and how to set it up on the programmer? I'm down to try it but the video didn't have quite enough info for me to feel comfortable doing it that way.
You can save the chip for later just in case RGH3 does not work for you.
Just follow @Donnie-Burger's Google search link and click the first result.

Just desolder your CR4 and the QSB as those are no longer needed for RGH3 on Trinity.
You will also need a 3k to 10k ohm resistor for the PLL.

I converted my S-RGH to RGH3 recently and it was awesome to see the instant boot.
My suggestion for the PLL point would be: take your time and triple-check before scratching the solder mask.

Also, make sure that your console still boots with the stock nand beforehand.

MrQQ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thats because you dont program a cr4 - you are supposed to use the dip switches to set the timing of the glitch :) these chips do not need programmed

Reactions: DinohScene

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.