Homebrew Having trouble recovering Saves

Sortex

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So my SD card stopped being detected by my 2DS and assumed that the SD card must have been corrupted, luckily I don't think its completely corrupted because I can open it up on a PC I can copy and delete files fine and since I have A9LH with luma (ya I know i should have updated to B9H already) and I am able to access Luma's chainloader and use godmode9 and hourglass9 (which I used to inject FBI into health and safety successfully) and I was even able to rename the Nintendo 3ds folder to force it to make another fresh one and I was able to change themes (meaning the 2ds can detect it properly if I use a new folder).

However when I try switching back to using my old Nintendo 3DS folder with my games and saves the 2DS boots up by showing my custom theme but then it disappears after the pop up message saying it couldn't detect the SD card. I have tried moving the Nintendo 3DS folder to my PC but it wont let me move the exData folder. Thinking this folder is probably causing the problem, I renamed it and rebooted my 2DS but the only difference was my custom theme did load up at the start like before, It still couldnt detect the SD card and load my stuff. When I renamed it back I was in the same situation I was in before.

My question is: Is it possible for me to recover my saves in this state? Its not possible for me to use JKSM since when I open FBI I get a bunch of errors when using my old Nintendo 3DS folder. Is there any other way I can recover my saves?

Last edited by Sortex,

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So my SD card stopped being detected by my 2DS and assumed that the SD card must have been corrupted, luckily I don't think its completely corrupted because I can open it up on a PC I can copy and delete files fine and since I have A9LH with luma (ya I know i should have updated to B9H already) and I am able to access Luma's chainloader and use godmode9 and hourglass9 (which I used to inject FBI into health and safety successfully) and I was even able to rename the Nintendo 3ds folder to force it to make another fresh one and I was able to change themes (meaning the 2ds can detect it properly if I use a new folder).

However when I try switching back to using my old Nintendo 3DS folder with my games and saves the 2DS boots up by showing my custom theme but then it disappears after the pop up message saying it couldn't detect the SD card. I have tried moving the Nintendo 3DS folder to my PC but it wont let me move the exData folder. Thinking this folder is probably causing the problem, I renamed it and rebooted my 2DS but the only difference was my custom theme did load up at the start like before, It still couldnt detect the SD card and load my stuff. When I renamed it back I was in the same situation I was in before.

My question is: Is it possible for me to recover my saves in this state? Its not possible for me to use JKSM since when I open FBI I get a bunch of errors when using my old Nintendo 3DS folder. Is there any other way I can recover my saves?
My only suggestion is to use some sort of recovery tool to try and get as many files back as possible. Then, put it on a new sd card.

Sortex

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for the suggestion, but since I am already using a new Nintendo 3ds folder just fine on this sd card, I don't think moving my old Nintendo 3ds folder to a different sd card will make a difference. I have already moved my old Nintendo 3ds folder to my PC with no problems (except for the exdata folder which seems to be messed up but also doesn't seem necessary for my 2ds to detect the rest of the Nintendo 3ds folder) so I don't even need to use any recovery tools. Btw I updated to boot9strap successfully (didn't need my old Nintendo 3ds folder to do that) and I am using a 32 gb sd card with no branding on it.

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the suggestion, but since I am already using a new Nintendo 3ds folder just fine on this sd card, I don't think moving my old Nintendo 3ds folder to a different sd card will make a difference. I have already moved my old Nintendo 3ds folder to my PC with no problems (except for the exdata folder which seems to be messed up but also doesn't seem necessary for my 2ds to detect the rest of the Nintendo 3ds folder) so I don't even need to use any recovery tools. Btw I updated to boot9strap successfully (didn't need my old Nintendo 3ds folder to do that) and I am using a 32 gb sd card with no branding on it.
Just try it. Just in case. If you can that is.

Sortex

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Alright, I will try moving everything to my lexar 16 gb sd card. It will take a while, but I hope it works.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Noname brand SD cards are a bad idea because they're often low quality or fake. You should test the card with h2testw to make sure it's legit: https://3ds.guide/h2testw-(windows).html

Reactions: Sortex

Sortex

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I am so glad I took your advice Giodude! I transferred everything I could to my 16 gb sd card, and everything worked! (except for 2 games that lost there saves but whatever) it created new exdata so I guess something was wrong with the old one. still haven't gone all the way through with h2testw since it takes a long time, but Im hoping my 32 gb sd card is still going to be usable for something. Anyways, thanks for the help everyone!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse