Having quite a bit of fun with the new Phoenix Wright....

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by astrangeone, Sep 11, 2016.

1. astrangeone
    OP

astrangeone GBAtemp Addict

Dec 1, 2009
    Canada
    Canada
    Seriously, I haven't turned on my 3DS for anything but Binding of Isaac, and I wasn't the biggest fan of Phoenix Wright before (the wacky characters and the moon logic kind of reminded me of King's Quest and other classic PC games like that).

Finally solved the 1st case with a couple of game overs thanks to the seance bits (had me presenting evidence at the wrong times)....

It's the first Phoenix Wright game for me that actually made me want to stay up late and play...

2. Killaclown

Killaclown GBAtemp Regular

Feb 13, 2015
    Norway
    Same here, was on the fence with the mixed reviews out. Glad I checked it out, having a blast with it atm. the banjo guy turning closet heavy metal had me dying.

3. FireEmblemGuy

FireEmblemGuy Celebrating a decade of shitposting

Jul 6, 2007
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    I've actually been having a harder time getting into it than with past games, although I seem to be perpetually exhausted and the slow text scrolling doesn't help. Definitely bugs me that the names have gone from 'sensibly punny' in past installments to absurdly on-the-nose in this one, though.

4. brigcaster

brigcaster GBAtemp Regular

Mar 17, 2015
    Greece
    Under the Moon
    Just finished Case 5 - Day 1 Investigation, pretty positive impressions so far as well. I find it better than Dual Destinies in every way expect soundtrack.

5. Killaclown

Feb 13, 2015
    Norway
    Never played any of the past games, so this was a fresh start for me. Any of the past games worth checking out? Seemed like there really aren't that many good phoenix wright games on the 3DS, and it's the only Nintendo console I have. I agree on the names though, would have been better if they were a bit more subtle and it suddenly hit you after a while. All in all I am having a blast, I really enjoy the mystery-solving in this, reminds me a bit of the prof. Layton games story wise.

6. astrangeone
    OP

Dec 1, 2009
    Canada
    Canada
    I just about died laughing, and keep in mind I was playing at 2:00 am in the morning, when that happened....

Killaclown likes this.
  7. brigcaster

Mar 17, 2015
    Greece
    Under the Moon
    I highly recommend to play the original three in chronological order. There are up on the eshop as Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy. The second one ( Justice for All ) is a bit underwhelming, but the third one ( Trials and Tribulations ) really makes up for it.

Killaclown likes this.
  8. Killaclown

Feb 13, 2015
    Norway
    Cheers, downloading now! Not a lot of time for gaming atm, so guess i'll skip the second then.

9. brigcaster

Mar 17, 2015
    Greece
    Under the Moon
    NONONONONO.
    These three games are strongly connected story-wise. Besides, the final case of the second game is too good to miss. You could skip the 5th case of the first game though, since it was added after the original three came out and kinda works as a prologue of the 4th main game, Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney.

10. Killaclown

Feb 13, 2015
    Norway
    Haha, point taken. Should I change and complete the trilogy first, or continue with my playtrough on this (latest game)? Since these are very story-driven games I guess it's better to complete the earliest first? Only at the second case in this one so it won't disrupt my playtrough too much.

11. brigcaster

Mar 17, 2015
    Greece
    Under the Moon
    As the series progressed Capcom tried to make each entry as indepedent as possible in order to attract new audience. You'll propably miss a couple references here and there in Spirit of Justice, but nothing really important to the main plot of the game. The series essentially rebooted with the Apollo Justice game.

Killaclown likes this.
  12. astrangeone
    OP

Dec 1, 2009
    Canada
    Canada
    Lmao, I might have to do the same thing.