Having problems with Ear Force X3's

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by Sportsmaniac1322, Jul 21, 2009.

Jul 21, 2009
  1. Sportsmaniac1322
    OP

Member Sportsmaniac1322 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Yesterday I bought some Ear Force X3 headphones for my Xbox and I've had mixed results. When I first hooked it up to my Samsung HDTV, I was very disappointed. It had a very noticeable buzzing noise that made the headphones basically unusable. I was almost ready to take my headphones back to the store to replace them with the wired X1's, but I figured I'd take them to my friend's house and try them out there. When I played with them there, the headphones were amazing, and I didn't hear any buzzing noises at all. When I got back home, I hooked the headphones up to my system again, and the buzzing noise was there.

This leads me to believe that something in the room is interfering with the infrared signal. When I walk around the room with my headphones on, at some parts the buzzing noise gets significantly louder. Does that mean anything? Also, if it is in fact something interfering with the infrared signal, how can I identify what's causing it and stop it from happening?

2. air2004

Member air2004 Air

United States
  3. Sportsmaniac1322
    OP

United States
    Thanks for the info, but it didn't help any. I literally grabbed a table, put it about 2 feet away from me and made sure that the transmitter sat perfectly at my line of sight. It didn't make any difference.

One thing I just noticed is that when I move my head, the buzzing noise gets louder in my right ear at one specific spot. Does this mean it's something to my right?

4. Sportsmaniac1322
    OP

United States
    I've been in contact with the support team at Turtle Beach (which on a side note has the best customer service I've ever had) and they helped me diagnose the problem. Turns out because my plasma TV is really old, it lacks a radiation screen, which takes away IR signals the TV gives off. Because of this, my TV is giving off IR signals that the headphones are picking up, causing the buzzing noise. The headphones work great on another (newer) plasma I have in the house.

So basically if you're thinking about getting these, make sure you don't have an incredibly old plasma TV like I do. If it's on the newer side, then the headphones will work great. If you got yours when HD was first getting popular, like I did, then get the X1's, which use wires instead of infrared signals.

Also, if you're on the edge of getting these or not, get them. They're amazing and worth every penny!!