Hacking Having an issue with my microSD card...

havefeith

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Basically, I have Windows 10, which I've heard will not read FAT32 formatted devices. I recently stuck an 8gb microSD in an adapter into my Wii U, then started downloading homebrew stuff onto it, including the stuff I need to properly hack it. When I went to try and check my card on my laptop, it's not reading the microSD. Is there any software I can use to read FAT32 systems on my laptop, or do I need to download a virtual machine to do so?

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Basically, I have Windows 10, which I've heard will not read FAT32 formatted devices.

No. It looks like you need extra software to format to FAT32, but that's been a problem for Windows for years, as it won't format drives more than a really small size (by today's standards) to FAT32. Reading should be fine.

havefeith

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No. It looks like you need extra software to format to FAT32, but that's been a problem for Windows for years, as it won't format drives more than a really small size (by today's standards) to FAT32. Reading should be fine.
So, then, what could be the issue? I've tried putting a USB my Wii U formated into my laptop, it didn't read that either. It took sticking it into a Windows 7 computer to read it, even if it only wanted me to format it again.

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Windows will read fat32 just fine. It just won't format it to fat32. You need to use guiformat. Your computer can't read a Wii U USB formatted drive at all.

havefeith

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Windows will read fat32 just fine. It just won't format it to fat32. You need to use guiformat. Your computer can't read a Wii U USB formatted drive at all.
Ah, okay. That would've been better to know in that first post, the one where the poster put just the program name, without any explanation as to what they meant. Oh, uh, does that mean my microSD got formatted? Oh, and does the Wii U support XC cards?

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, okay. That would've been better to know in that first post, the one where the poster put just the program name, without any explanation as to what they meant. Oh, uh, does that mean my microSD got formatted? Oh, and does the Wii U support XC cards?
Yes to the last question and I have no idea if your SD got formatted. You should read through my guide. It talks about SD formatting right at the start.

It's stickied and in my sig

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does diskpart not work on windows 10? Pretty shitty if they removed any of it's functionality.
It's works fine until you have a USB or SD over 32 gb. Its been that way since Windows 7. There's a limit in windows. Nothing over 32gb can be formatted as fat32 with built in windows tools.

havefeith

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's works fine until you have a USB or SD over 32 gb. Its been that way since Windows 7. There's a limit in windows. Nothing over 32gb can be formatted as fat32 with built in windows tools.
I wonder how I was able to format my 500GB external to FAT32, then... I hacked my Wii a while back, and that was one of the things I had to do to get the Wii to read the USB.

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder how I was able to format my 500GB external to FAT32, then... I hacked my Wii a while back, and that was one of the things I had to do to get the Wii to read the USB.
Well I guarantee you didn't use diskpart. It won't format a 500gb USB to fat32. You have to use a 3rd party program

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended