Haven't used my Wii in a while, system files are corrupted...

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by EvanUnisil, Sep 20, 2015.

1. EvanUnisil
    OP

EvanUnisil GBAtemp Regular

Oct 12, 2006
    Canada
    Hi all,

It's been a while since I've used my Wii. I just started it up and I'm getting the System files are corrupt message after the health and safety screen.

I have bootmii installed and can load the homebrew channel and games using wii flow. I'm on 4.2U, and when I hold + and - I can load maintenance mode.

What's the best way to restore the system settings so the system menu can work again? I can't remember where I put my nand backup from bootmii btw.

Also, assumimg there is a way to fix this, what is the best upgrade path to get my Wii up to date to play Wii games from a HDD, retail and ISO gamecube games, and virtual console games?

Thanks all!

2. Videomanman87

Videomanman87 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 11, 2011
    United States
    Hmm does it say which files are corrupted? You could try using dop mii and download/reinstall the system menu. But I would check and make sure what version of it you have first (though you seem to know). If I remember right syschecker gx will do this. If it isn't the system menu but something else, you could use wiiexplorer to replace the bad files (by getting them from a known good Wii onto a SD card then copying them into system memory).

BUT before you go doing major brain surgery, I would do a bootmii backup and put it in a SAFE place, so if things go from bad to worse you have something to fall back to.

3. Catastrophic

Catastrophic Perfectly Normal

Apr 28, 2012
    Somewhere
    Start off by reinstalling the system menu and it's IOS using a WAD manager. If using 4.2, use IOS70. If using 4.3, use IOS80.

4. EvanUnisil
    OP

EvanUnisil GBAtemp Regular

Oct 12, 2006
    Canada
    Well I just tried reloading IOS70 and it seems to have fixed it! Thanks guys :D I'll be making a bootmii back up now...

So one last thing - what should I be using to play virtual console and gamecube games? Are there any new apps/features I should be checking out that have been developed over the last 3 years?

Last edited by EvanUnisil, Sep 20, 2015
  5. Cyber Akuma

Cyber Akuma GBAtemp Regular

Mar 12, 2009
    United States
    For GC there is a new homebrew app (instead of a custom MIOS) called Nintendon't that works better than any of the custom MIOS files did.