Gaming Have you guys heard about 3ds carts dying?

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I mean. This all sounds rather like wear and tear. Overuse or just through use of the carts make for the pins to start going. Its been the same as what ive seen of NES, SNES, and N64 gamecarts all started to go after normal wear.

Reactions: ihaveawindows

JK_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But one of the carts I was talking about was still factory sealed until it was bought recently and had this issue out of the box. I've only encountered the stress problems with gameboy games myself. I have yet to encounter anything from those systems' that hasn't been because of some other kind of damage or corrosion from poor storage or just lack of care.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
If it really is due to the flexing of the cart loosening surface mount components, then it makes a lot of sense; the games in question are all more likely to suffer mistreatment from youngsters, be stored poorly, have their protective cases lost or discarded, be traded in loose to suffer the same abuse from the next owner.

Lesson to be learnt: treat your games better and keep them in the protective case they're originally sold in.
My cartridge of smash will remain a mystery forever, lol I was the only user and kept it in its case for the whole time I never used it, and just never worked again, but it's possible I also had a defective cart from the beginning.

JaNDeRPeiCH

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Reflow the chip of any 3ds dead cart its not a solution,what happens if you reflow(soldering) many times? Those carts will be have some limit endurance time so if will be waste money to repair it. Thanks to nintendont to make those 3ds cart with their "seal o quality" . I hope someone from USA sue to oblivion to nintendont with their shitty mess.

MohammedQ8

Trophies
XP
Country
Kuwait
No. cause you got no way to inject the save as you cannot run checkpoint on a sky3ds.
I meant to say will backed up cartridge save files from checkpoint app work on sky3ds plus using pc?

however I can apply checkpoint cheats on sky3ds plus games. I tested it.

I have sky3ds plus since 2016 and it still works fine.

Last edited by MohammedQ8,

ihaveawindows

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
I mean. This all sounds rather like wear and tear. Overuse or just through use of the carts make for the pins to start going. Its been the same as what ive seen of NES, SNES, and N64 gamecarts all started to go after normal wear.
Yea, I agree with @lone_wolf323 here, I have a Pokemon X cart and a Pokemon Diamond one, and it works fine!

I used to have Mario and Luigi: Dream Team and was about to beat the... second to final boss, i think? One day, planning to do just that, my game cart didn't work. Tried blowing in the holes and the cart itself, cleaning it with isopropyl alcohol, nothing. eventually, i either threw it away or sold it off, most likely the former.
My copy of MK7 is starting to die off too I think. Sometimes it needs a wiping or two before it starts to work.
I will say this however, it may be where they're keeping it. I know my ds games are kept in a little container that's absolutely RIDDLED with dirt and stuff, which I may need to clean out soon.. I asked my mom for a storage case, but she usually forgets about it.
Well, I did keep it in a small container like you, but it works fine! Also, I lined the carts with a paper case. You can make one by yourself!

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Reflow the chip of any 3ds dead cart its not a solution,what happens if you reflow(soldering) many times? Those carts will be have some limit endurance time so if will be waste money to repair it.
Why reflow many times? Assuming the problem is really related to bad solder joints (reflow should help) and the problem is from the factory on (unused carts going bad), it is unlikely the connections will go bad after a reflow without physical stress.
Waste of money? Maybe if one has to buy soldering equipment just for this. Anybody already owing soldering stations, solder, flux,… doesn't have to pay much. Expendable materials and electricity needed for this are negligible.

. Thanks to nintendont to make those 3ds cart with their "seal o quality" . I hope someone from USA sue to oblivion to nintendont with their shitty mess.
If there really is a widespread failure – like with the Joycon drift – Nintendo should be help liable and possible replace the games. It is really sad. I'm used to Nintendo products being really long-lived and sturdy. 3DS games are pretty new (I know that everything not on the shelves anymore is considered to be "old" nowadays) and shouldn't fail already.

My cartridge of smash will remain a mystery forever, lol I was the only user and kept it in its case for the whole time I never used it, and just never worked again, but it's possible I also had a defective cart from the beginning.
Did you try a reflow? Like already said: There is nothing to lose.

@1B51004 and @ihaveawindows Reading this hurts. (3)DS games come in very good packaging. Unless you threw the plastic boxes away (or bought them used from somebody doing so), there shouldn't be a need to store the small game carts in some random box.

Reactions: duwen and IC_

1B51004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@1B51004 and @ihaveawindows Reading this hurts. (3)DS games come in very good packaging. Unless you threw the plastic boxes away (or bought them used from somebody doing so), there shouldn't be a need to store the small game carts in some random box.
yeah, i threw the boxes away. younger me didn't realize the value of saving the packaging. I know better now and right now im trying to get a case that can store all of my games.

Bedel

The key of the blade
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is why I don't feel bad for pirating games. Why should I pay for something that'll break in a decade when I can get it for free and have it last as long as my system is in-tact?
Because there are people that worked making it, and to them be able to work at another game the company needs to sell. Some of you really don't think about this...

Back to topic: no, it's not because of the games being misstreated. I had it in the case since last time I played, and some people I know are in the same situation. So bad the only solution as of right now is not at everyone's reach.

DuoForce

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because there are people that worked making it, and to them be able to work at another game the company needs to sell. Some of you really don't think about this...

Back to topic: no, it's not because of the games being misstreated. I had it in the case since last time I played, and some people I know are in the same situation. So bad the only solution as of right now is not at everyone's reach.
Developers aren't paid based on how good the game sells

Reactions: zfreeman

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
Another theory. The leaks from last year include specifications for the gamecards. Turns out it's not actually ROM but NAND flash (written in factory and read only thereafter) and digging further there is a refresh command which the 3DS firmware also uses every 10000 reads. There is a possibility they knew bit flips/corruption can happen because of cheap flash.

DuoForce

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope, but companies do more games based on how other games do. And more games means more work for developers. I believe that's what I implied. Developers need more than one project to keep living.
I mean all the games I have on my 3DS sold super well. Plus I probably wouldn't buy any of them anyways so they aren't missing out on any sales, and if they are then it's a very small number because most people don't want to bother with modding their consoles.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This is why I don't feel bad for pirating games. Why should I pay for something that'll break in a decade when I can get it for free and have it last as long as my system is in-tact?
The DS consoles have their problems as well: wear on the ribbon cables going to the upper screen assembly. "Something can break, so I don't pay for it." makes no sense. In case of optical storage media it is usually the drive with the laser and lots of moving parts that fails before the discs or the rest of the console.
If you want to use the product (immaterial product, computer program), you have to pay for the license.

Problems like failing carts are one of the reasons why I dislike DRM in any form. Everything is gonna age and break at some point. That is true for digital storage media as well – so backups are needed and DRM has the goal of stop people from making unencrypted, freely working backups. If I paid for the license, I will want to keep it forever – even if the storage media and/or consoles die. Ultimately older games will only be preserved by usage of ROM files and emulators.
People openly promoting and condoning piracy are a reason for the ever getting worse copyright laws.

If there wasn't B9S, Luma3DS and GodMode9, the thread title would probably have made me worry.

Another theory. The leaks from last year include specifications for the gamecards. Turns out it's not actually ROM but NAND flash (written in factory and read only thereafter) and digging further there is a refresh command which the 3DS firmware also uses every 10000 reads. There is a possibility they knew bit flips/corruption can happen because of cheap flash.
I think the usage of flash memory was known before any leaks. Never heard of a refresh command though (haven't obtained any leak data and didn't read much about it). Data retention time on theoretically rewritable media is generally limited to some decades to my knowledge. It is the same problem for flash memory and magnetic media. Real ROM (Mask ROM) doesn't suffer from this and can endure probably much longer.
In case of bit flips (data corruption, data loss) there is nothing that can be done unless the write protection can be circumvented to reflash the chip. All questions going in that direction ("Can I flash a different game on a 3DS cart?") have been answered with unfriendly replies like: "Lol, lmao! No! There is a reason why it is called ROM." implying the questioner is an idiot – even when the topic that 3DS games aren't on real ROM chips was mentioned. Sadly I didn't bookmark the topics.

Reactions: zfreeman and Bedel

ber71

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Related to this, is the durability of the internal nand inside the console.
Maybe someone knows how many years could every bit survive. Not more than one or two decades, I presume.
Perhaps, doing a 'refresh' every two years would be a good idea. This can be done with the godmode9 options for checking physical errors.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    cearp @ cearp: Welcome hazbeans