Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
I didn’t have internet from like, 2008-2011.

When I was 12, I got a cute Cafe tent as a birthday present. It was one of those make believe have your own coffee shop fort. So I turned on my DS and I found that there was a WiFi signal. Kid me thought it was cuz Starbucks has WiFi, so did my cafe fort. It was just because the neighbor’s WEP signal could be picked up in my living room. It barely worked but I used it for the GTS

francisbaud

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
When I moved to a new location about 10 years ago, we hadn't any cable or internet available in the area for 2 months, so during that time I've used an "open" WiFi connection from an unknown neighbor.

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
Oh yeah, funny thing I nearly forgot! When I was using a neighbors unsecured WiFi, I also occasionally found myself resetting their network when it was acting wonky. Bet it's a surprise to everyone that people using an unsecured network in the late 00's-early 2010's also didn't bother changing their router's admin password.

_abysswalker_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cyprus
Back in the day when ALFAs were a thing and was dead easy to crack (WEP, ISP routers with default reverse-engineer-able SSIDs etc.)

Even today WPS is enabled out of the box on many routers so I doubt things are much better.

Deleted member 546149

OP
Trophies
XP
Seriously? Is this some kind of EOF-joke that you put into the General Off-Topic section?

I imagine a picture of some cartoon burglar sneaking into houses to desolder the WiFi chips in all devices with the goal of… no idea what goal this burglar could have.
==============

If this is a question about unauthorized access to WiFi networks, the answer is: No. Counter questions: Why would I want to do this? I hardly use WiFi anyway, so why even consider using a network without the owner's consent?[/
Eh, a moderator will probably put it at the EOF.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
When I first moved across the country with my ex, his mom refused to get internet, and thus we didn't have wifi. We ended up finding out the neighbors wifi didn't have a password. We used that for a few months (maybe a year,) until @Costello hired me for Filetrip and helped paid for my internet.

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, You mean Borrowed.....
1908-05-Burglars-or-Bunglers.jpg

Last edited by BigOnYa,

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes. Back in the late 2000's and early to mid 2010's my internet used to get shut off a lot, because I was broke. For months I used to freeload Wifi off this person who lives in the house behind mine. They just straight up never put a Wifi password. I was sad when they moved, but my financial issues cleared up, and internet got a lot cheaper.

I was a Wifi thief, but I wasn't a dick about it(if that makes sense). I didn't torrent or download anything crazy when using their connections. I just chatted with friends. I was too afraid they'd catch on, if I slowed down their internet, and also didn't want to be a huge dick.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay