Have you ever borrowed one of your friend's games?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Demifiend, Dec 11, 2015.

1. Demifiend
    OP

Demifiend The bored one

Mar 20, 2015
    You are a dedicated gamer, who tries to play plenty of videogames, but there is one specific videogame you want but you can't access either because your local store doesn't have it, or either because for lack of money, or a lack of gamer friends in general, in my case, this happened with me twice, but one was an exchange rather than a borrowing.

The exchange was my Pokemon Sapphire for M&L Superstar Saga, which paid off since i fricken loved SS more than Pokemon, and because when i was kid i didn't really understood how Sapphire plays, i remember there was a dude or something blocking me off, i went to every house and i talked to everyone, but i couldn't understand (back then) what to do.

Right now is pathetically easy for me, but remember that back then i didn't knew how to read English, it was completely different from my main language, and as such, i couldn't do too much, and as for a real borrowed game, one friend of mine gave me his copy of Street Fighter IV for the PS3, gotta say, it was plenty of fun, during vacations.

I couldn't really play that much since to play i had to do some things, but i enjoyed the fights, the music from each stage, the animated cutscenes, it was a pretty fun game for me, I might retry it later, but for now, I have plenty of different games to take care, so, well.

And so, what are those games you needed to borrow for better convenience?

2. Blaze163

Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

Nov 19, 2008
    Coventry, UK
    I only ever borrowed a game off somebody once, it was an extremely rare and valuable copy of The Legend Of Dragoon, which was stolen from me by the transvestite donkey witch my 'dad' called his girlfriend at the time. Basically killed the friendship, I was never able to get a replacement copy, and what's more annoying for me is that I was at the start of disc four when I lost it and had to wait over a decade til I got the digital copy from PSN to finally finish the game. I have a habit of neither borrowing nor lending things ever since.

EMP Knightmare likes this.
  3. grossaffe

grossaffe GBAtemp Addict

May 5, 2013
    United States
    I borrowed games back when I was a wee lad.

Actually, I think I've been borrowing my friend's Game Gear for over 15 years. He moved across the country, so...

4. Sakitoshi

Sakitoshi everything is going according the plan...

May 8, 2012
    Chile
    behind a keyboard or a gamepad
    I do it all the time with my friends. I have reliable pals so I have no problem lending my games or even consoles when I'm not giving them much use.
    I actually have my GB micro and x360 lent and so were my 3DS(since I have a 3DS XL too) and PSPgo(since the Vita can also play PSP games).

5. BORTZ

BORTZ "Another stunning Van Gogh"

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    I borrowed and swapped games with one of my friends in middleschool all the time. I got really lucky at his bad luck once too. I was borrowing a few games from him, FFT, Pokemon Sapphire, and something else that turned out to be really cool... cant remember what lol. Anyways, while at the park, his backpack got raided and his GBA and games were stolen. He gave me what he left and let me keep what I was already borrowing.

HaloEffect17 likes this.
  6. DinohScene

DinohScene Dino May Fire

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Borrowed quite a few games from friends.
    Always returned it back without a scuff.

People that borrowed from me tho...

EMP Knightmare likes this.
  7. Jayro

Jayro MediCat DVD and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Back in hghschool, I was always poor and only got new games around christmas. So I would strategically borrow games from my friends near the end of the school year, and they'd forget about them over the summer, and I'd keep them. (I'm not proud of this, I was a jerk as a kid)

HaloEffect17 and PokeAcer like this.
  8. Saiyan Lusitano

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Portugal
    I once lend a game to a "friend" and never saw it again. Jerk. :(

9. wormdood

wormdood pirate booty inspector

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    behind a parental advisory sticker
    lol around where i live that's the definition of borrow

10. duwen

duwen Old Man Yoshi

Sep 6, 2013
    United States
    Bullet Hell
    I used to lend/borrow a lot during the snes/megadrive era... but since a friend borrowed my playstation FF9 disks and never returned them, I don't lend games out anymore.

11. Jayro

Jayro MediCat DVD and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    I am a 32 year old adult male, and no longer allow game lending unless you are in my home, and staying for a few days. Like when my step-daughter comes over on the weekends, I'll allow her access to all my 3DS games, and she always gives them back before she leaves. (She's 13)

12. VinsCool

VinsCool Insecure

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    I used to borrow games a few years ago. Now that I'm a 20 years old with a fulltime job, I can afford the games I want.

13. Tomato Hentai

Tomato Hentai snart

Oct 30, 2014
    Canada
    actually north korea. please send help
    I borrowed AC:WW from one of my school friends. She ended up giving it to me.
    Other than that? I don't think so.

14. Tomato Hentai

Tomato Hentai snart

Oct 30, 2014
    Canada
    actually north korea. please send help
    She just gave me her cartridge and was like "make your own character but don't delete any of mine or you're dead" (she didn't really say 'or you're dead')

15. jDSX

jDSX *pokes*

Jun 15, 2015
    United States
    Happy furry land with Lucar
    I let close friends of mine who I trust to borrow games from me but rarely anymore. I too have borrowed in the past from them and did have a problem when I borrowed a friend's controller which ended up dying out of the blue on me. He fixed it thank god.

16. RevPokemon

RevPokemon GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    Does letting a sibling play one of your games count? if not then no i never have.

Tomato Hentai likes this.
  17. Seriel

Seriel Worshipper of Skiddos

Aug 18, 2015
    Friends? What are those? xD

Tomato Hentai likes this.
  18. EMP Knightmare

EMP Knightmare Fixing GBATemp's Feng Shui Engine (using Win XP)

May 3, 2010
    United States
    New York
    I lent out my copy of Pokemon Ruby once, had every Pokemon caught, playtime of 999:99:99, every Pokemon lvl 100 without the use of candies, told her NOT to save over my game.

I get the game back with my data replaced by a time of 000:27:14 with not even a badge, . . . . . . yeah I don't lend out games anymore :angry:

As for borrowing . . . . . . . I always get games I want, ALWAYS! ^_^

VinsCool and Tomato Hentai like this.
  19. PokeAcer

PokeAcer Banned

Banned
    May 28, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Wales
    Is this an invitation to let people in your home? </sarcasm>

I don't share games - Most of my games are Wii and (3)DS, and people don't really care about them. Today for example, I was going to say something about the MKW community and people were like "Oh, you still play the Wii? You're really sad" (They said 'dead sad' but they meant really sad), so I just went "Meh think what you want, my wii is over 9 years old and it hasn't broken, nor has other consoles, yet your consoles fail a lot"

20. Danny600kill

Danny600kill xD

Aug 3, 2009
    United States
    Manchester
    I borrow and lend my games all the time to one of my friends, mostly console games.

These are usually single player games, for example I've never bought Assassins Creed but lent all of them excluding Syndicate off him to play and will lend that off him once he has completed it, in return I lent him the batman games and he currently has my copy of Witcher while I'm playing his F1

I've never had any issues with him and have only had one game not returned by another friend and even then I'm not that bothered as my friend was burgled, there was more to worry about than my copy of Oblivion haha

I think lending and borrowing is a great way to try out games that you usually wouldn't buy but want to give a try