Have you dealt with terrible customers?

WiiCube_2013

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip

This video is quite informative and comedic for those that are Pat the NES Punk viewers (also for AVGN'ers too), but aside from that, I personally haven't had any awful customers lately which is a good thing because that usually makes me very depressed and so it affects when dealing with others who have nothing to do with it and are not only polite but also friendly.​
An' also, I tend to go the extra mile for them so it's not as if when it's not in stock I don't try to help them out in the best possible way, plus not only that but also if they prefer to speak in Portuguese/Spanish then I'm fine with that too.​

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I dun work in retailing.
Nor do I got the social skills for it.

All I know is that if someone thinks they can do it better, they should do it themselves.
People should be glad there's people out there putting up with every bit of nonsense they throw at them.
From tiny things like products being 2 cents cheaper somewhere else to things like packs of butter being dented or bags of crisps being crushed (ffs, you're going to eat it, it doesn't enter your stomach intact >_>)

Anyway, fuck them if their impolite and rude.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I work with a lot of people, and in 10 years they are becoming more and more aggressive and exigent, requesting everything right now with the least effort possible.
They get angry when they have to make a single photocopy, or have to come back because they forgot something ... oh, that's not their fault, it's always ours! we didn't told them! (they have list of papers, but they never read it and always complain), we are not open when they want because "they" are working, not us.

One customer even hit me because we couldn't do things he wanted and became aggressive. I went to police and all, but I don't want to go further with this case.
It's often becoming hard to canalize their reactions.

My workmate had death threat from a psychotic guy...

They can tell us anything, but we can't reply because they go report anything to the town's mayor and we are always the bad guys, customers are always right.

We have to be psychologists and sociologist to just make car's paper and driving license u__u

Like wiicube said : it affects when dealing with others who have nothing to do with it.
It also affect my reactions when I'm back here, the way I act with users on gbatemp, if I'm kind or aggressive in my comments.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have yet to have to fire a customer, others have been less fortunate.

Otherwise there is little chance you will catch me in retail or a public facing job, not least of all because my hearing is awful (not necessarily my fault but I certainly did it no favours). That said I do frequently find myself in places that do and being the invisible IT person/engineer (unless I happen to be holding a soldering iron or something)/fly on the wall is quite amusing. IT/engineering type things have been known to make otherwise smart people turn dumb but even given those instances there are some terrifyingly stupid people out there.

My favourite place for this sort of thing still has to be the the car garage, you get basically every type of bad customer and the employees are always up for taking the piss.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bet you are the kind of person that speaks to the person at the checkout because you once read one of them likes that.

As someone with checkout experience, I merely say hello and respectfully divert my gaze to avoid instigating any further dialogue. I go in, pay for my items, and leave as if I never there at all.

I am the phantom payer, the spectral shopper, and the cryptic consumer, all rolled into one being.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I don't think most people are intentionally assholes at the register, I just think that we're genetically programmed to switch to Moron Mode the moment we stand at the register.

There's nothing fun about standing in line to be served - you're in a group of sweaty, tired, annoyed people and you are equally annoyed as them because you all share a common goal - putting all your crap on the register, have it scanned, pay as little as possible and leave immediately. All of you sweaty, tired, annoyed people in Moron Mode will do anything to make the waiting end.

Waiting is not fun. Waiting in a sweaty, angry mob is even less fun. Since you are in Moron Mode at this point because you're bored out of your skull, you immediately forget what you want to purchase, what's your PIN number, where's your money, where you parked your car and why you're even there - your only instinct is to move forward along with the herd or preferably past the herd, and in this scenario, courtesy goes straight out the window.

As a person in line, as the time goes by, you instinctively put the blame of your predicament on the person serving the line - the poor clerk at the register. He's the asshole who's keeping you all hostage, he can go straight to hell. He is also annoyed, because a mob of angry, tired, sweaty people rushes him rudely to do his job as quickly as possible while simultaneously dealing with their shitty vouchers and customer cards and while his manager is looking at the CCTV, making sure that he informs each and every customer about the latest promotions and offers them a shitty club card nobody really wants.

This is an environment designed to upset everyone, it never goes smoothly and it cannot go smoothly. It cannot go smoothly because you're in Moron Mode and you've forgotten why you're even there, so you gradually have to come back to your senses when it's your turn, collect your goods, find your money, your shitty vouchers, your crappy club card (lest the bastard clerk offers you one), where you parked your car and why you're even there. In the meantime, the clerk will be annoyed by you because you're another angry and sweaty butt who comes to the register without knowing what he actually wants, making his life miserable.

Once you are done performing this elaborate dance, both parties are equally upset. You always leave with a foul taste in your mouth because one again the bastard clerk took forever to scan your purchases and didn't even explain why the bread aisle has been moved which completely spoiled your shopping experience and because another idiot customer came to the register without even knowing where the bloody bread aisle was even though it's been there forever now. Why is the bread aisle important? Because the clerk sits in his little booth everyday and sees the aisle 24/7 while you only shop once a week, so what's common knowledge to him is astrophysics to you and there's next to no chance that you will find a common tongue.

The only possible scenario in which these problems do not surface that I have come across is self-checkout. You still wait in line, but you're only ever upset at the crowd that's taking its sweet time at the self-checkout machines (idiots, they don't know what their PIN is or why they're even there. I wonder if they remember where they parked) with you or at yourself (because once again you've forgotten your PIN and god knows where you parked), eliminating any and all bad blood between you and the clerk, who has it infinitely worse than you do.

WiiCube_2013

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Today was kind of a shit day for me.

I work in toys' department and my functions include restocking, dealing with customers and checking that the shop floor is in pristine condition, but as I'm only one person it's hard to keep up with all of this, though most of the time I can handle it but here's the crappy part; I had a colleague asking me to restock full priced items only which I was doing but then after getting back of my break my manager came to me and said that a "few employees" weren't happy with my performance which actually was just that one.

I knew that I had to get that done but rat me out to the manager for that? I went to the stockroom for a moment and I almost had an WTF scream but instead I just cried out instead. I used to look up to her but now I'll just say the typical "yes", "no", "okay", etc as I despise her from this day on.

Ian's customer (from the video on the OP) was kinda what happened to me and I've gotta say that I don't find that funny any more.

Edit: I love working in toys and I don't mind it at all because it's my comfort zone, but assholes like this is what makes it bad for a workplace.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
there are assholes everywhere, in all job and in all towns/countries :(
You'll have to deal with them whatever the job you do, unless you work alone and for yourself.

sometime it gets bad and you fall in depression and want to quit, but sometime you have nice customer and you are happy to help them.
it's part of being with customer, but the colleague and chief working with you should know that and work as a team to support each other and defend you.
If everyone is against you, it's not a good place to work.

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, when one of my sisters worked at Best Buy, "brown" customers would take advantage of that because my family is "brown". They'd demand for discounts, lol.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I do every days ! :rofl2: there are a lot of exigent and unsatisfied people who wants everything fast and done, without effort from them, even if everything is clearly shown and explained before anything is made.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I worked in retail briefly, and found working with the developmentally disabled (what used to be called "retarded people") is far less stressful. At least they have an excuse for most of their actions.
"normal" people don't :creep:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse