Have R4 but considering swap to Edge

Discussion in 'EDGE' started by notaclue, Jan 2, 2009.

1. notaclue
    OP

notaclue Member

Newcomer
    Dec 29, 2008
    Please could you advise: -

I am not very good at anything like R4 etc so easy to use is what I need... Please excuse my ignorance.

I currently have a couple of R4 cards (one I have since found to be fake) I am thinking of swapping to Edge cards so have a few questions:

Will my currently downloaded DS Roms that I use on my R4 card work on the Edge card?

Does the Edge card work in a simple way as in 'drag and drop' files etc..

Is there a good Uk site where I can get these from?

thanks so much. Lisa

2. moodswinger

moodswinger GBAtemp Regular

Sep 6, 2008
    Yes, your roms will work.

Yes, you just need the FW and your roms then you're ready to go.

3. Sportsmaniac1322

Sportsmaniac1322 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 26, 2008
    United States
    Forman's Basement
    Just restating what moodswinger said: yeah, everything will work. Just download the firmware at their website here: http://www.edge-ds.cn/?lang=en, copy it to the root of your MicroSD, and then put all your games on it. Should work fine.

Since I'm in the US I don't know of any good UK sites, so that will have to come from someone else.

4. woof811

woof811 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 22, 2007
    north west
  5. Maz7006

Maz7006 iSEXu

Aug 2, 2008

1) Yes your Roms will work
    2) Yes it is one of the most simplest cards that i have ever used
    3)Not sure try google [​IMG] Or look at the above posts [​IMG]

6. Fusion

Fusion On/Off GBA-Temp'er

Nov 7, 2002
    Only problem with the EDGE team is be pre-paired for the firmware updates to break other games, i have never heard this from other teams but the latest firmware breaks Viva-Pinata (not sure what/if any others) so if this is a conceren for you as it was for me (yes i had an EDGE card & swapped it back at my local shop for a CycloDS) then maybe adding abit more money for some other top of the line card like M3DS-Real,Supercard DS1,CycloDS might be a better choice.

CycloDS handles like an EDGE (since EDGE is a clone of Cyclo per se) you cant go wrong, but you get quick updates,good features,compatibility does'nt break games, similar menu system to R4.

All in all Cyclo - top of the line. (sounds like a sales pitch [​IMG])

7. notaclue
    OP

notaclue Member

Newcomer
    Dec 29, 2008
    Thank you very much everyone for all your replies - you are very helpfull and its very much appreciated.

Lisa x

8. magos

magos Newbie

Newcomer
    May 16, 2007
    United States
    I'm doing the same thing

Will my R4 save files work on the EDGE?

9. Sportsmaniac1322

Sportsmaniac1322 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 26, 2008
    United States
    Forman's Basement
    Luckily yeah they will. You may have to rename them to the correct format though. Shouldn't be too hard.

10. muka3d

muka3d Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 17, 2008
    United States
    EDGE is a nice card, extremely to use, and virtually bug-free. Cyclo is great also, however because of it's abundance of extra features (most of which I don't consider essential, but are nice), it has more bugs and loads a bit slower than EDGE.

As was mentioned, your save files will work on EDGE, check out the DS savegame converter site for evidence: http://www.shunyweb.info/convert.php

11. TomMannCenturia

TomMannCenturia Member

Newcomer
    Jul 10, 2008
    I started with an R4, then got an Edge from dealextreme. The user interface is fairly similar to the R4, 3 boxes. 1 for NDS games, 1 for Moonshell, 1 for Slot 2. Fully skinnable.

I actually prefer it to my ak2 as I can put the roms in alphabetical order!