Hacking Have I arsed it?

Midvoc

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi,

Been a while since I was on here asking for help.

So - my daughters N3DS was on EMU 11.0.0-33E CFW the last time I hacked it and was running fine until tonight.

I updated the system in the CFW and now all I get when I switch on is a black screen.

If I hold select - it boots into the original system which is on 9.0.0 I think.

I have tried to reboot a few times but I still get the same BSOD - also the blue light stays on.

It looks as though I have broken the original hack - it wasn't the armloader one but it was changed from rxtools to luma3ds.

As always guys any help is much appreciated ;))

Best Regards

Mark McDonut

GBATemp's Resident Ghostbuster
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what happens when you boot with the sd card not inserted? still 9.0 without issues? you may need to use decrypt9 to reflash emunand to the first 1gb of your sd card

Last edited by Mark McDonut,
Reactions: Midvoc

Cuphat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quick solution would be to update Luma3DS to 7.0.5 - the last version to support old entrypoints. Just extract the arm9loaderhax.bin to the root of your SD card, overwriting the one that's already there. (Luma used this file for all of its code, even on non-A9LH entrypoints.) https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/releases/tag/v7.0.5

Better solution is to follow 3ds.guide to install boot9strap and Luma 8.0. Installing B9S is safer and less involved than installing A9LH was.

Midvoc

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Quick solution would be to update Luma3DS to 7.0.5 - the last version to support old entrypoints. Just extract the arm9loaderhax.bin to the root of your SD card, overwriting the one that's already there. (Luma used this file for all of its code, even on non-A9LH entrypoints.) https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/releases/tag/v7.0.5

Better solution is to follow 3ds.guide to install boot9strap and Luma 8.0. Installing B9S is safer and less involved than installing A9LH was.

thanks for replying - the arm9loaderhax.bin is not on the root - i think that was used in later hacks

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

what happens when you boot with the sd card not inserted? still 9.0 without issues? you may need to use decrypt9 to reflash emunand to the first 1gb of your sd card

Thanks for replying - yes i took the sd card out and its still 9.0 like normal

Cuphat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks for replying - the arm9loaderhax.bin is not on the root - i think that was used in later hacks

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Thanks for replying - yes i took the sd card out and its still 9.0 like normal
If you are using a real old version of Luma, you'd need to also replace the files in 3ds/luma3ds with the ones in the zip (inside the hax folder). See also: https://github.com/AuroraWright/Lum...rade/66517a33f1e2a1a706c8eb3f461d5280459883b2

If you can't get it working, just follow 3ds.guide to install B9S.

Midvoc

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If you are using a real old version of Luma, you'd need to also replace the files in 3ds/luma3ds with the ones in the zip (inside the hax folder). See also: https://github.com/AuroraWright/Lum...rade/66517a33f1e2a1a706c8eb3f461d5280459883b2

If you can't get it working, just follow 3ds.guide to install B9S.

should i just use the 3ds.guide upgrade method then to B9S? instead of looking for and replacing files - my version of luma was really old and even that was an upgrade from rxtools lol ;))

Cuphat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
should i just use the 3ds.guide upgrade method then to B9S? instead of looking for and replacing files - my version of luma was really old and even that was an upgrade from rxtools lol ;))
Yeah, that's probably the way to go. Just read carefully and follow along with the guide.

Mark McDonut

GBATemp's Resident Ghostbuster
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Squall I wanted to say thanks for the link to the last menuhax-supported luma, I got lost af a couple weeks ago trying to figure out the last menuhax supported build since i'm paranoid about a9lh and like my ctrboot menuhax setup and didn't realize how old my luma build was.

Midvoc

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, that's probably the way to go. Just read carefully and follow along with the guide.

Just came back to say it all worked out in the end so cheers for that guys ;)

Following the 3dsguide website I installed boot9strap but as I was configuring luma3ds I got an error.

If you hold select and boot after this error you can choose to boot from emunand (I already had the 3ds hacked) and put an X next to option 1.

The 3ds booted back into the emunand which has now been updated to latest system update.

I was then able to delete the mass of unnecessary files (from previous hacks old rxtools/luma/exploit files) from my sd card and everything is hunkydory.

I hope my experience can help others who are in the same spot.

Best Regards

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
First thing to learn when using a CFW is how to make NAND backups (sysNAND and emuNAND) and how to restore them (and also which NAND does what, so you don't *accidentally* restore your emuNAND on your sysNAND). This way, next time you update to an unsupported firmware, at least you can revert (so your daughter can still enjoy her 3DS while you figure out how to update your CFW before updatinh the firmware).

There are plenty of ways to do it. Hourglass9, Decrypt9WIP, GodMode9, ...
GodeMode9 is the only one that is kept up to date iirc, but Decrypt9WIP still works great so if you like your tools dedicated to specific tasks, you can use that too.

Last edited by Hayleia, , Reason: added "accidentally" (see quote below for original post)

Midvoc

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
First thing to learn when using a CFW is how to make NAND backups (sysNAND and emuNAND) and how to restore them (and also which NAND does what, so you don't restore your emuNAND on your sysNAND). This way, next time you update to an unsupported firmware, at least you can revert (so your daughter can still enjoy her 3DS while you figure out how to update your CFW before updatinh the firmware).

There are plenty of ways to do it. Hourglass9, Decrypt9WIP, GodMode9, ...
GodeMode9 is the only one that is kept up to date iirc, but Decrypt9WIP still works great so if you like your tools dedicated to specific tasks, you can use that too.

I still have the NAND.bin stashed in the cloud from when I first installed CFW on the N3DS - I take it I can use that as a last resort if things go pear shaped?

Also would you be able to tell me if I should install the luma3ds updater or should I just leave it now that everything is running perfect?

Best Regards

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There's also no need to have an emunand now (it was a mandatory requirement back in the menuhax days), so you could flash your existing emunand over your current sysnand, and reformat the sd to reclaim the space allocated to the emunand.
It's entirely optional however, but if you decide to do it all the steps you'll need to take can be found in the 3ds.guide

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I still have the NAND.bin stashed in the cloud from when I first installed CFW on the N3DS - I take it I can use that as a last resort if things go pear shaped?
If it's not 11.4, yeah, you can always use that (if it's 11.4, then maybe it could get your 3DS back in working shape, but not so easily in CFW'd shape).

Also would you be able to tell me if I should install the luma3ds updater or should I just leave it now that everything is running perfect?
Your choice. I like to update manually but some people don't.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYzI76fwaM0