Have EZ4, how to cheat?

Discussion in 'GBA - Game Development, ROM Hacks and Translations' started by codezer0, Sep 5, 2009.

Sep 5, 2009

Have EZ4, how to cheat? by codezer0 at 4:27 AM (2,774 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. codezer0
    OP

Member codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

United States
    Okay, as the topic title says, I have an EZFlash4 (miniSD). So far, been quite pleased with the GBA game compatibility.

My one issue with it now though, is in getting cheats. For my real games, I have a Gameshark SP. But how the *expletive* do I make the kind of files that it is expecting for being able to get cheats to run with the games I load? I tried creating a cheat file with VisualBoyAdvance emulator, but that gives me a .clt file, whereas EZ4 is expecting a .cht file.

So what do I do here? Yes, I feel like quite a n00b about this right now... since I couldn't find anything to explain it in the included help file(s).

2. how_do_i_do_that

Member how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

Antarctica
    The EZ Client program, when your loading the game to the miniSD you also pick the cheat file for the game.

3. codezer0
    OP

United States
    [​IMG] I'm sorry... I know it's late (at least here it is), but... it would help if you'd read.

I know where in the client I pick to load the file. What I NEED is to know how to MAKE a cheat file it will understand. Neither the provided documentation, nor any of the pages online for the makers detail how to make a cheat file for it.

4. how_do_i_do_that

Antarctica
    it takes to long for someone like you to learn, besides there are already plenty of cht files already. ESPECIALLY if just wanted pokemon cheats, there are over a dozen cheat packs I can count from using the search from the menu.

Take your time and READ ALL OF IT if you want to waste your time learning:
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=112939

There was also a AR to cht file converter, making learning mostly pointless. It is somewhere in the download section.

5. codezer0
    OP

United States
    Alright, that makes more sense.

Now, I (re)sent the games via the EZclient with the associated .cht file. But I guess now the last step is figuring out how to load said cheats so I can use them. I looked about on the EZflash wiki here, but there was no mention of going about running them.

6. how_do_i_do_that

Antarctica
    When you use the EZ Client program to apply the patch, the EZ4 cart will autoload the cheat menu when you pick that game.

7. codezer0
    OP

United States
    I gave that a try, but that doesn't happen. It doesn't let me select any cheats unless I copy the game to the NOR flash first.

Even then, what few games I have tried so far do not work. Some simply don't respond to the cheats, others just black out the screen, and you can't see anything. And in every case, I either get a blank 'list', or it's in chinese characters.

I'm so confused right now. [​IMG] If it helps any, I am running firmware 1.720 according to its bootup screen. [​IMG]

8. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    The EZ4 has troubles with cheats, I suspect it has to do with the hacked loader we are using (key combos overiding things) and I am not sure if that version number changed for about 5 versions before the last.

You can try http://ezflash.sosuke.com/files/EZ4/EZ4-Loader061227.7z (the last loader released other than the hacked one). Be warned that if you try to launch GBA roms from the DS loader you will probably get frameskip unless you do a hard reset (L and A I think), GBA loader is fine though and you also have the option of the various tools to boot into the GBA loader from the DS loader:
    http://ezflash.sosuke.com/wiki/index.php?t...m_the_DS_Loader

Failing this you have GBAATM to hardpatch cheats into roms:
    http://crackerscrap.com/ (click on projects)

As well as trainers:
    http://gba.dellicious.de/trainer.php?s=n&o=asc&d=
    http://www.advanscene.com/ has some if you do an advanced search and there are probably some around here somewhere as well.

9. codezer0
    OP

United States
    Sorry it's taken so long to reply back. Been really busy lately, so haven't had much time on my hands for this sort of thing. Anyways, reporting back...

- Flashed to the linked firmware. Still keeps the reset key to Up+L+A+B, far as I can tell. Most of the time, I just keep the EZ4 in my SP, so no worries about it going into the NDS loader mode. Heck, even when I put it in my DS lite (for giggles) it still boots into the GBA loader.

- On *SOME* occasions, I had noticed that games I copy to PSRAM from the SD will have all the cheats turned on (imagine my surprise when I start up MM&B and I'm auto-firing charged buster shots nonstop). Most of the time though, I Have to copy to NOR flash first before I can select ANY cheats.

As far as I can tell, when I copy to the nor flash, I then get what is supposed to be a menu for the cheats available, and what I can turn on/off. However, not even on that Wiki do I find any directions for what button does what... and it always seems like I can only toggle on or off just the first cheat at the top of the list. Most of the time, it shows just a blank list, so I don't even know what the cheat is, and other times it is still showing garbled/chinese(?) characters for the cheat description.

Would using GBAATM for hard-patching cheats interfere with say, getting sleephack2k to work?

10. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    If you patch with the sleep hack first it should be OK (GBAATM is a fairly intelligent program and should be able to work around most problems if they exist at all).

About the reset key; first it has nothing really to do with the in game soft reset feature but back on topic you have two methods of launching a rom one being hard reset (you see a logo) and the other being soft reset (you see no logo, also bypasses a lot of bad header issues seen in some hacks and homebrew). Both loading methods were/are present in the loader.

Soft reset had one or two problems with compatibility at some points in the distant past but this was more or less sorted but it then saw the frameskip bug introduced in DS mode (it was late quite in the EZ4 life and going back would lose support of the EZ4 lite compact and lite deluxe (the bug was actually introduced with support for them)).
    Modulo hacked the loaders and swapped the hard reset and soft reset keys which effectively sorted the problem.

Option 2: cart side GBA cheat systems were rough and ready to say the least and the list of things that could make them fall over could quite realistically include something about lack of crystals allowing too much negative energy (this is on top of them not supporting all the code types). I did one day intend to see what the cheats were capable of but between GABsharky (precursor to GBAATM), trainers and other more interesting things that did not happen.

Option 3 is keys, to save my effort tapping it out go to the GBA loader and select the final icon (not sure what skin you are using but on the original skin (not darth vader the seaside one from the EZ3) it is a question mark in a brown circle/sphere and scroll down some way (left and right are faster). Ignore most of it as it was written for the EZ3.