Have anyone attempted to do something like ds flash cards?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Yil, Jun 4, 2015.

1. Yil
    OP

Yil GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 19, 2014
    Canada
    Like old ds card with an actually menu of its own, which you can access games and apps.
    Or is there not enough access to do that?

2. Duo8

Duo8 I don't like video games

Jul 16, 2013
    The GW is pretty close.

3. Nollog

Nollog GBAtemp Addict

Oct 10, 2008
    They'd need to execute themselves to do that, gateway has a game menu, but it's done after some other steps.
    Probably the closest you'll get.

4. MrJason005

MrJason005 √2

Nov 26, 2014
    Greece
    Κάπου
    maybe an LCD on the back of a sky3ds?? lol

Zidapi likes this.
  5. CIAwesome526

CIAwesome526 Im ugly and im proud

Mar 25, 2014
    United States
    The Lake, Kalos Region
    Let's turn it into VMU while we are at it.

Codename likes this.
  6. Gamerschoice

Gamerschoice Member

Newcomer
    Feb 15, 2015
    United States
    Freakin' yes. And a VMU emulator with it.

I just love me some Dreamcast.

7. CIAwesome526

Mar 25, 2014
    United States
    The Lake, Kalos Region
    Yeah, Dreamcast was a great console. I wonder why it didn't sell well. I know why Sega wouldn't make money *cough* burning games *cough* *cough*, but I have no clue why it wouldn't sell well.

Gamerschoice likes this.
  8. cracker

cracker Nyah!

Aug 24, 2005
    United States
    The DC was a great console and it would have had a great life if the PS2 hadn't come out when it did. The VMU was very gimmicky and the games for it were hard to stomach. If it had a better display and say a 68k in it it would have been much better.

Back on topic: There is no way for the Sky/QQ to start its own process on the 3DS so it could never use a menu. GW/clones could use a traditional menu but they really don't need to since there aren't any options that need to be changed and the 3DS has a nice interface already. With many people using CIAs it is much less likely that they would do that now than before they added that functionality in. They have better things to do such as 9.7/8 compatibility and N3DS 3D fixing.

9. Duo8

Duo8 I don't like video games

Jul 16, 2013
    WARNING: If you lose, your data will be deleted.

10. CIAwesome526

Mar 25, 2014
    United States
    The Lake, Kalos Region
    *for hardcore gamers only

11. SirByte

SirByte GBAtemp Fan

Dec 30, 2012
    Canada
    The problem is all the encryption stuff. How come we don't see all the cracktros (could actually do without those, or with a pure patch included) and trainers that were so common on the Advance? That's because we're locked out of our own devices.

12. cracker

cracker Nyah!

Aug 24, 2005
    United States
    The reason is because there really isn't a point and most games are privately dumped before teams are able or willing to get them. With GW or CFW (that supports bypassing checks) it is possible to decrypt the RomFS and mess with the binaries but people are more interested in translations when it comes to the decrypting of games. I admit that I sometimes miss intros but I would rather have it this way than not having a clean dump like some GBA games. Also there were a scarce amount of DS intros/trainers so it just shows the times they are a changin'.

13. cocoPika

cocoPika GBAtemp Regular

Dec 2, 2014
    Canada
    almost many ds flashcards work well for ds games, like r4i gold 3ds, r4i sdhc 3ds rts, ace3ds plus, any other functions you want?

14. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    well yeah scene groups used to add cracktros mainly for recognition for being able to get hold of a game a few days early or getting past some elaborate AP built into the game.....now days with pretty much anyone able to dump their own games and AP stuff being less common on consoles with the burden being shifted towards the console manufacturer to deal with rather than the games developers any AP stuff is generally one size fits all, so thats usually down to the flashcard/cfw dev's to get arounds, and the cart dumping isnt some elite types only privilege....all in all cracktros are dying off because
    A) there not so much room for them anymore as anyone can dump their own cart and upload it (very often before the scene groups even manage to do it so FIRST! style statements are generally pointless as they are very rarely first to dump it anyway)
    B) with more complicated security on consoles they are more likely to break something trying to add a cracktro into a game
    C) back in the day some scene groups where able to get hold of games months early so plastering their name on it was done to show off that they where the people who got it so early....now days with tighter security on who gets these pre-release review copies and early copies generally being easier to trace back to a leaker this kind of thing is less common
    D) everyone shunned them and demanded CLEAN rips
    E) with cart/disk emulators becoming more common that rely on clean rips adding cracktros would essentially cut of a section of the userbase
    F) i think people simply cba doing them

logg likes this.
  15. cracker

cracker Nyah!

Aug 24, 2005
    United States
    I must admit I cba to look at disassembled code, etc. yet because I've been busy with so many things but when I get around to it (and probably build tools to help break up code further) I am going to try my hand at some things. The only problem I can foresee is that the code runs in processes now instead of taking over the full system like GBA/DS. I would have to find the right spot after the processes are created to patch in branches to arbitrary code and then back again but it would be all in good fun. :)

16. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    yeah i think as a concept they can be kinda cool, especially if they actually add something more than a psychedelic 5 minute unskippable wavey text rave with funky chip-tune music....trainer ones where generally kinda cool

17. cracker

cracker Nyah!

Aug 24, 2005
    United States
    Yeah the wavey text on top with creeping/static text on the bottom and some sort of redundant show in the middle is a classic intro from retro system days. There have been some pretty unique ones that I have enjoyed watching but, as you said, the ones that won't let you skip are annoying and the people that patch them out or provide a clean dump are then the heroes.

18. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    also, who wants 'GW MENU' showing up in their playlogs each time they want to boot a 3ds game?

19. hippy dave

hippy dave Butts Butts Megabutts

Apr 30, 2012
    I still don't get why people care about their playlogs.

20. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    well, the more non-legit stuff that appears on a 3ds makes it much more suspicious to nintendo.
    although they seem to be relaxed with banning etc, it is still a possibility.
    i personally want to keep my 3ds as 'natural' as possible, so not have homebrew apps installed on the homemenu etc.
    but, running from ninjhax would be fine (or at least better), since there is no trace.

i'm not so personally worried about it, but it is a factor that i think some will care about

WhoAmI? likes this.