Have an unhacked 3.2U Wii.... upgrade to latest 4.3 and hack?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by MountainMan, Dec 11, 2012.

1. MountainMan
    OP

Newcomer MountainMan Newbie

United States
    Hey guys... so I've been waiting to hack my Wii for years. So much so, that I purposely hardly ever updated my Wii, and it's been stuck at firmware 3.2U! I did some forum searching, but it seems the only people who updated from 3.2U were the ones who had previously hacked their Wiis.

Today, I want to finally hack it from it's virgin state (lol). The question is -- should I follow the advice of Wiibrew.org and upgrade to the latest 4.3 firmware and then use the letterbomb exploit? Or is it better to stay on 3.2U and use the bannerbomb exploit?

I ultimately want to play all my backups (Wii & GameCube) using a USB loader. So either path I choose, I want to make sure I still have the most options for running Wii Homebrew and Backups.

Thanks for the help! :)

2. mike333

Member mike333 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Poland
  3. Lacius

Member Lacius GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    It honestly doesn't matter which way you hack your Wii, but I recommend you use ModMii to hack your Wii since it's the easiest way to do it. Just tell it what version you're already on (3.2U) and it will generate a custom guide for you that installs the Homebrew Channel, the recommended cIOS files, and updates your IOS files and System Menu to the recommended versions (SM4.1, for example).

4. Maxternal

Member Maxternal Peanut Gallery Spokesman

Costa Rica
    WiiBrew says that updating to 4.3 is OPTIONAL. The updates to 4.2 and 4.3 were just to try to block some specific homebrew and don't really provide any benefits. (that's why it says to optionally only update AFTER updating that homebrew so it can't get blocked anymore.) Updating to 4.1 adds the ability to use SDHC cards (SD cards BIGGER than 2gb) so I would say THAT would be the ideal update target for you.

The simplest way to update is to download ModMii for Windows and run it, telling it that you haven't hacked your Wii before. It will download everything you need automatically and generate a custom guide for you to follow step by step. It's VERY easy to follow IMO.

Unless you tell it not to, it will leave you at v4.1 but with all the newest stuff that usually comes WITH a 4.3 upgrade and block other updates so games and Nintendo's shopping server, etc won't be able to tell that you're not on the latest version.

EDIT : I'm a ninja'd slow typer as always.